Addison takes pay cut

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

You pay players based on how you project they'll perform going forward... 

You really believe the front office doesn't understand this concept?  You post as if a bunch of dudes who dont get football are running this team. 

On 3/23/2021 at 10:02 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

We arent talking about some fictional player from another team. We're talking about Jerry Hughes who has been busting his butt since his first day in a Bills uniform. Who rightfully butted heads with Marrone, who put up with the Rex Ryan days, and who has managed to stick around long enough to get to be part of the Bills resurgence.

I don't care about any of that. You pay a player to compensate him for the value he'll provide going forward, not for the good things he's done in the past. Hughes is a guy who's on the wrong side of 30 who's gotten 4.5 sacks a season the last two years.

If we had a better way to spend the money lined up as a sure thing, then absolutely, it should be considered. But if it isn't pressing, Jerry has earned the right to keep all the money he has coming to him. And from the amount of moves Beane has been able to pull off in FA even without Jerry taking a paycut, then it doesnt seem like it is pressing. Or that even Beane cares about it.

If Hughes were to take a pay cut down to the level you'd normally pay for a guy with his production, what moves would that enable? I'm not Brandon Beane, so I don't have the answer to that. If there's nothing else Beane would like to do with that cap space, fine. Pay Hughes the extra money. If however Beane could put that extra cap space to good use, I'd like to see him give Hughes a pay cut, down to a level commensurate with his recent production. 

On 3/23/2021 at 5:17 PM, iommi said:

I wonder if they tried to take an extra $1 mil off the base and add to signing bonus.  Would have added an extra half mil in 2022 to dead cap, but may have been worth it for this year. 

Could be teams have been told still too much uncertainty where things will end up for the 2022 cap number as no idea if there will be fans in stands all season and how many and will there be pre-season games too