Addison takes pay cut

2 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I think he was limited by his injury more than we know, but time will tell.

I guess I look at it like this: the coaches, front office and med. staff are closer to what's really going on than those of us watching from our couches. If they think he's the guy -- for whatever reason, then I don't have enough info to disagree with them

Taking your QB rating of 114+ a different way -- we were without our NT and our run defense clearly suffered because of it. Who's to say that the staff may have had Tre triggering downhill on run looks more aggressively to account for that? Just playing devil's advocate here, but regardless of what the reason was, we still almost made the super bowl. Tre's not perfect, but I think he'll have a bounce back season and is not the liability that some make him out to be. I hope I'm right.

I usually feel the same way.  I’m just in a different boat with Tre.  Maybe I’m bitter because I bought one of his autographed jerseys last offseason, with expectations that he would become a super star.  Only to watch him regress. 

I hope McB is right and he becomes the man.  He has the talent and his god given gifts are among the best for any MLB I’ve seen.  I’m rooting for the kid.  He can be a game changer if he develops his instincts 

40 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think the final FA move needs to be TE or Edge.  It's very hard to find a day 1 impact player at that position.  I have big hopes for Epensea and Knox, but I don't want to count on them.  

Draft more OL, 1 Tech, and speedster later in the draft (draft looks to have a ton available around rd. 4).  

Nailed it.  I hope even with moving up we could catch fire with an edge rusher trading up to late teens, but doubtful.

Taking Jonnu for $8 mil, might make the price range, amd he is solid, dependable, and would contribute in 2021.  I too have high hopes for this Epenesa and Knox.  I’m nowhere near the give up on either.  Longer rope for Epenesa.  I need to see excellent hands from Knox this year.  It’s definitely possible for year 3 for a TE.

• Agree 1

Just now, NewEra said:

I usually feel the same way.  I’m just in a different boat with Tre.  Maybe I’m bitter because I bought one of his autographed jerseys last offseason, with expectations that he would become a super star.  Only to watch him regress. 

I hope McB is right and he becomes the man.  He has the talent and his god given gifts are among the best for any MLB I’ve seen.  I’m rooting for the kid.  He can be a game changer if he develops his instincts 

LOL I'll trade you my EJ Manuel signed football straight up if you want! 🤣

I believe in Tre, I believe in Frazier, I think they'll get it figured out -- last year was just far too crazy of a season to lean into too heavily either way.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Because most take a few years to develop.  Even Kelce wasn’t a stud his rookie year.  Jonnu has proven himself over four years, and as a ton of people have said, hitting on a stud TE from the start is rare.  You’re right, they could, but we don’t have the draft capital to get the kid from FL.  He’s projected at 8.  He’s about the only one that looks at this point as a sure thing.  There are a lot of TE’s with quality this year, and I have said multiple times, but we want talent now.  Much easier to grab a speed demon WR that can develop rout running skills later and take say in the 4th.  Year 1, we just want a fast go route guy.

Thats my perspective.

I think Brevin Jordan can be a player out the gate.  He doesn’t get enough credit for his run blocking.  He’s not the best,

but he’s a willing blocker and is stronger than his 250lb frame suggests. He can play inline (although some say he can’t) or in the slot. I don’t know if he’ll make it to our 2nd rd pick, but I think he’d be a steal there.  

• Like (+1) 1

agree w vader and dr dawk in this thread: we took a shot at watt, a real one, and we blew out one DL, and price cut two of them and our C, as well as cutting brown.

we inked up milano.  this tells me the holes my fantasy off season would have created basically aren't gonna be there.  w star coming back (big assumption perhaps) as we sit right now, we have a better DL than we had last season, and possibly as good/better than what we had in 2019 (i fade that tho).  

so, perhaps we can draft someone in the gut to just be a physical force in the rotation, and go out and throw some green at a real pass rusher.  our FO found some magic in 2018 and 2019 on D, perhaps they can rub the genie lamp again and get another top 3 D for us.  throw in some RB/TE production and im talking chip all season!

i like it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Moonzoo said:

With respect to TE, what about Sweeney?  He looked promising in his rookie year, IIRC.  Should he be part of the conversation, or is he too iffy?

I don't believe Sweeney is anything more than a depth guy. If he had something we would've seen it by now.

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Nailed it.  I hope even with moving up we could catch fire with an edge rusher trading up to late teens, but doubtful.

Taking Jonnu for $8 mil, might make the price range, amd he is solid, dependable, and would contribute in 2021.  I too have high hopes for this Epenesa and Knox.  I’m nowhere near the give up on either.  Longer rope for Epenesa.  I need to see excellent hands from Knox this year.  It’s definitely possible for year 3 for a TE.

Jonnu's going to get a lot more than $8. I doubt very much that we'll be a player for him.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think Brevin Jordan can be a player out the gate.  He doesn’t get enough credit for his run blocking.  He’s not the best,

but he’s a willing blocker and is stronger than his 250lb frame suggests. He can play inline (although some say he can’t) or in the slot. I don’t know if he’ll make it to our 2nd rd pick, but I think he’d be a steal there.  

I like Brevin Jordan, I think he'd be a great fit with Knox too.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Moonzoo said:

With respect to TE, what about Sweeney?  He looked promising in his rookie year, IIRC.  Should he be part of the conversation, or is he too iffy?

I believe on the first day of the new league year they can require him to report for a physical to see if his heart has healed up from covid-related myocarditis, or No.  A typical course is 3 - 6 months, so right about now is reasonable to take a look.

That's the first part of the conversation. 

9 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I don't believe Sweeney is anything more than a depth guy. If he had something we would've seen it by now.

How do you figure that? 

He played in 5 first games last season as a raw rookie due to injury who obviously needed work, but he did OK.  When he got a chance to play in Game 17, he was pretty much one of the only guys on the field who flashed - 5 receptions on 5 targets for 75 yds.

This past season we had no chance to see if that was a flash in the pan or not because he started the season on IR with a foot injury, then went on the Covid list with myocarditis the very week they were planning to activate him off IR.

I'm not saying the Bills can count on him, but I don't think he's had a chance to show where he is, either.

I would like us to be a player for Hunter Henry.  I don't see how we possibly can be, but I didn't think we could re-sign Milano AND Williams either so...

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColeB said:

The Bills seem to be taking it step by step.  Ex: find out what it takes to sign Williams and then get players to restructure to free up the money.  Hopefully Feliciano is next.

I think it’s a really bad year to be a free agent Guard.  So many available 

2 hours ago, appoo said:

Would hope that 10M hit gets down to a 5M hit, as he's a reserve at this point.

I'm thinking he does take a big pay cut, I wouldn't be surprised if it is as much as you just stated.

This is not a good year to get a lot of money due to the reduced cap, plus he's in his 30's and he didn't have a hot year.  I would say $5 million range sounds about right.

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

I'm thinking he does take a big pay cut, I wouldn't be surprised if it is as much as you just stated.

This is not a good year to get a lot of money due to the reduced cap, plus he's in his 30's and he didn't have a hot year.  I would say $5 million range sounds about right.

The cut is based on salary (~$7 million), not cap hit ($10 million).  So, a $5 million cut would reduce the actual money he takes home for playing this year down to ~$2 million.  That might not even be the vet minimum for him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tortured Soul said:

The cut is based on salary (~$7 million), not cap hit ($10 million).  So, a $5 million cut would reduce the actual money he takes home for playing this year down to ~$2 million.  That might not even be the vet minimum for him.

Thanks for the explanation.

Butler, Jefferson and Addison really just needed to be let go. McDermotts plan to use a heavy rotation of a bunch of average at best DLineman is not a good one. 

Really hope this doesn't stop us from using a high draft pick on a pass rusher, or signing one. 

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How do you figure that? 

He played in 5 first games last season as a raw rookie due to injury who obviously needed work, but he did OK.  When he got a chance to play in Game 17, he was pretty much one of the only guys on the field who flashed - 5 receptions on 5 targets for 75 yds.

This past season we had no chance to see if that was a flash in the pan or not because he started the season on IR with a foot injury, then went on the Covid list with myocarditis the very week they were planning to activate him off IR.

I'm not saying the Bills can count on him, but I don't think he's had a chance to show where he is, either.

I would like us to be a player for Hunter Henry.  I don't see how we possibly can be, but I didn't think we could re-sign Milano AND Williams either so...

Purely my opinion on him, based largely on college scouting. He wasn't even a solid athlete coming out of college -- how many TEs in the NFL have been even "good" without being a decent athlete? His hands are *fine*, maybe even bordering on good, but he lacked the ability to separate, so he's more of a safety valve than a weapon. He's a fine blocker but I wouldn't argue an exceptional one.

And this was all before Miocarditis... he's supposed to have improved in any of these areas? To use your word, I think he's an "ok" player, but "ok" players, are depth guys, nothing more.

5 minutes ago, Process said:

Butler, Jefferson and Addison really just needed to be let go. McDermotts plan to use a heavy rotation of a bunch of average at best DLineman is not a good one. 

Really hope this doesn't stop us from using a high draft pick on a pass rusher, or signing one. 

It’s fine if Star, Butler, Addison and Hughes are making around $5m per year.  I fully expect Beane to bring in an impact pass rusher in free agency.  
Those 4 at $20m total.  Oliver, Epenesa, Zimmer, Phillips, and the other depth guys are on rookie deals.  If Beane can flip Murphy and Jefferson’s money into a stud, the D Line should be improved.  And the pay-cuts of Butler, Addison and hopefully a restructure of Hughes paid for Milano. 

3 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

This worries me. Makes me believe Bills won’t go big on a DE in free agency which we desperately need in order to even touch the chiefs.

They definitely will not be going after a DE in free agency. I think the plan is to go shot for shot with them. I think we can do it too.