Addison takes pay cut

23 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

He's a power guy who relies on strength and technique to rush. Power guys don't usually fall off like the speed rushers do.

You might be right about Addison.

Guys watch the tape. The decline in Addison's play has been very clear from 2018 to 2019 in Carolina and 2019 to 2020 in Buffalo. He is little more than vet presence edge setter at this point. Do we have numbers on his pay cut yet?

• Like (+1) 2

I hope he took a 4ish million dollar pay cut. That would be a nice chunk of change to save. I also hope Hughes is targeted to take a cut as well. Both guys freeing up 3 to 4 million really helps. I wonder if Beane is also looking at converting some base salary into signing bonuses for White/Dawkins/Diggs/Poyer.

According to Spotrac those guys reworking the structure of their deals can free up as much as 25 million in space.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

DE is looking like a good bet for 1st or 2nd round IMO. Possibly CB and DE. That's where I'm leaning right now with my 1st 2 picks. 

I think OL is a possibility at 30 also.   

2 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I am thinking differently.  I think they took a swing at Watt, missed and decided to go the draft route. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to grab a DE in FA, just don't see it happening with William's and Milano signings. At least I'd be REALLY surprised if they do..

I would not rule it out yet. There's still a lot of wiggle room between Hughes' possibly restructuring, Smith retiring, and White and Dawkins could take the same sort of deal Mahomes and others around the league are doing. Diggs could be extended in a way that lowers his cap hit this year, but gives him a deserved raise for future seasons. 

If I were to guess, Addison is back more as a rotational player and team leader--a lot of this team's success has to do with its chemistry. I've been in the minority hoping he would stay (but definitely not without a big paycut), as (1) locker room chemistry and (2) we should maybe not judge a new defensive player too much last year as it was a beyond-weird year. I get why people don't want him back, but we'll see how he does next season. 

My guess is Beane still looks at a game changer edge rusher and an upside TE. Maybe it's just Autry taking the Jefferson spot. We sign Feliciano and McKenzie, both of whom have telegraphed that they don't want to leave Buffalo. The next RB will likely be in the draft and at 30 that very well might be the BPA (and there's some gems in the later rounds). We'll see, but these are my guesses. And every year the team in cap hell even finds some way to sign a premium FA (look at the Falcons last year with Fowler, although it's killing them now)... and we're nowhere near cap hell. 

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Eh, maybe. But if there is one thing I've learned, it's don't count Beane out of anything. And I'd be shocked if the only idea he had for DE was "Watt or draft pick".

After the last 48 hrs. I am definitely not counting him out. I thought he would keep William's and bring in a DE. But when Watt chose AZ, I think he changed his focus to LB. Never expected Milano to stay.. Who are you thinking as a FA DE to bring in now?

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Guys watch the tape. The decline in Addison's play has been very clear from 2018 to 2019 in Carolina and 2019 to 2020 in Buffalo. He is little more than vet presence edge setter at this point. Do we have numbers on his pay cut yet?

I still like Addision as a situational pass rusher. I think he can still give you 5 to 6 sacks in that role. At a drastically reduced rate he justifies being on the roster. I do hope they use him more like this team used to use Lorax and blitz him from everywhere. But he isn’t a starting DE anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I still like Addision as a situational pass rusher. I think he can still give you 5 to 6 sacks in that role. At a drastically reduced rate he justifies being on the roster. I do hope they use him more like this team used to use Lorax and blitz him from everywhere. But he isn’t a starting DE anymore.

Disagree. His sacks are all clean up. I'd have not signed him last year and I'd have moved on this year.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Disagree. His sacks are all clean up. I'd have not signed him last year and I'd have moved on this year.

I wouldn’t have signed him last year but if he is willing to take a pay cut massive enough to get his cap number down to 6 million I don’t see the harm in keeping him as a role player. He comes with 4 million dead cap if cut so if he comes down to a 6 million number he essentially costs you 2 million which is tolerable for a 3rd or 4th DE

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Sure, long term it makes sense. But the focus needs to be on the next couple years. Tre is still as young as some of these rookies and now should know the defense inside and out. I'm all for making upgrades where we can, but switching out your defensive QB probably ain't it in my opinion. 

I hear ya, it’s just tough when your defensive QB is giving up a QB rating of 114+ when targeted.  He’s too easily manipulated by the QBs eyes and lacks the natural instincts of the position. I think that Nick Bolton, not having played a down in the league, has better MLB instincts than the 3rd year 2 time “pro bowler”.  

it a continuous waiting game for our ultra freakish QB on D.  How much longer can we afford to wait.  His play ball the chiefs was one of the reasons we couldn’t get off the field.  Mahomes was moving him all over the field with his eyes 

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That’s exactly why he’s still here even though he’s a shell of himself and they need an upgrade. Their loyalty towards ex Panthers is a little too much.

Can’t stop won’t stop

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That’s exactly why he’s still here even though he’s a shell of himself and they need an upgrade. Their loyalty towards ex Panthers is a little too much.

I don't know. He lead our team in sacks and tackles for loss. His playing time dropped a lot, McDermott loves his heavy rotation. 

They know what they're getting from these guys. McDermott is big on that. Let's not fool ourselves, McDermott is king of this operation. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Yup. And his heavy rotation of subpar defensive lineman was abused twice against the best team in the AFC among other games....I was hoping they’d scratch that strategy and limit the rotation. Guess not. 

I guess this is where I'm supposed to say it's only March 12th! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya, it’s just tough when your defensive QB is giving up a QB rating of 114+ when targeted.  He’s too easily manipulated by the QBs eyes and lacks the natural instincts of the position. I think that Nick Bolton, not having played a down in the league, has better MLB instincts than the 3rd year 2 time “pro bowler”.  

I think he was limited by his injury more than we know, but time will tell.

I guess I look at it like this: the coaches, front office and med. staff are closer to what's really going on than those of us watching from our couches. If they think he's the guy -- for whatever reason, then I don't have enough info to disagree with them. 

Taking your QB rating of 114+ a different way -- we were without our NT and our run defense clearly suffered because of it. Who's to say that the staff may have had Tre triggering downhill on run looks more aggressively to account for that? Just playing devil's advocate here, but regardless of what the reason was, we still almost made the super bowl. Tre's not perfect, but I think he'll have a bounce back season and is not the liability that some make him out to be. I hope I'm right.

It’s not like they extended him so they can still add a FA, but it would be in negotiations and then cut him after he takes a pay cut.  It’s not they restructured and have to kick the can down the road.

I would just hold on for the next 10 days and see what happens.  After that it would be secondary at best role player adds, or none.  This stuff is going to change by the day and the whole league is moving fast right now.  Just turn on NFLR.  I’ve been hearing news all day which is to be expected.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Morse is $3M.  No word on the other 2 but probably $2-3M apiece.

How do we know this?  Is it out there somewhere?

1 minute ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I'm trying to figure out why Smoke didn't even get a phone call about a pay cut?

Probably the same reason I'm guessing Q Jefferson didn't either - team is going in a different direction.

50 minutes ago, Georgie said:

If you can draft a "speed wr" why can't you draft a "top level TE"?

Because most take a few years to develop.  Even Kelce wasn’t a stud his rookie year.  Jonnu has proven himself over four years, and as a ton of people have said, hitting on a stud TE from the start is rare.  You’re right, they could, but we don’t have the draft capital to get the kid from FL.  He’s projected at 8.  He’s about the only one that looks at this point as a sure thing.  There are a lot of TE’s with quality this year, and I have said multiple times, but we want talent now.  Much easier to grab a speed demon WR that can develop rout running skills later and take say in the 4th.  Year 1, we just want a fast go route guy.

Thats my perspective.