Breaking: Daryl Williams signs 3 year extension

8 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Well to be fair - FA has not started yet - so he was still a Bill with an expiring contract.  It is not a typical extension that adds on to the remaining years, but it was completed while still under contract and without the details maybe that’s the way they worded it.

I agree the wording is sketchy, but I can understand the decision to call it an extension.  I mean even the Bills Twitter calls it an extension.

Technically upcoming FAs are still under contract until the first day of the new league year.

So it's considered an extension.  That's why they can't sign with another team until that day while cut players become FAs immediately

and can sign with other teams.

Ultimately it really doesn't matter.

We have now locked in both tackles and C. The situation with guards is still fluid but we cannot go into next season with the same plan as this year. There has to better run blocking as the scheme won't change with Daboll continuing as OC. I don't see Beane spending a pick on another RB till late in the draft..

So the options are Feliciano and Ford as G . But a lot depends on the coaching staff a belief in Ford. If his struggles wee due to injury and changing positions, then they may ride with these two. But I would like to add a road grader G/C in FA or high in the draft. We better have a plan for balanced O next season and not depend on Allen to always come up with magic. The playoffs showed that the strategy will only take you so far. 

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

We have now locked in both tackles and C. The situation with guards is still fluid but we cannot go into next season with the same plan as this year. There has to better run blocking as the scheme won't change with Daboll continuing as OC. I don't see Beane spending a pick on another RB till late in the draft..

So the options are Feliciano and Ford as G . But a lot depends on the coaching staff a belief in Ford. If his struggles wee due to injury and changing positions, then they may ride with these two. But I would like to add a road grader G/C in FA or high in the draft. We better have a plan for balanced O next season and not depend on Allen to always come up with magic. The playoffs showed that the strategy will only take you so far. 

It's probably a bit of "wishful thinking" on my part but it was obvious that last years reduced camp was spent almost completely

on Josh and the passing game.  I'm sure this year the running game will get a fair amount of attention.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

It's probably a bit of "wishful thinking" on my part but it was obvious that last years reduced camp was spent almost completely

on Josh and the passing game.  I'm sure this year the running game will get a fair amount of attention.

I have to agree. I find it hard to believe that the Bills cannot improve their run blocking with some hard work, and maybe some new coaching. They’re in good shape with their Tackles and Center for a while now. Let’s see if it’s personnel or scheme to open some holes in the middle gaps. Last year our RBs were constantly heading smack dab into a wall where a hole should have been.

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I could also see them standing pat at guard. They may conclude that they're good enough and they actually have decent depth at the position.   This would allow them to focus resources on more pressing needs:  D-line, TE and RB.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea...I don’t understand fans who think we are set at WR and dont need to invest.... even with the Brown release.....they are essentially one Diggs injury away from bottom of the barrel unit again. 

They should take a WR within their first 3 picks assuming a good prospect is there if they don’t have a shot at Samuel now.

Pretty sure that’s their plan.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I am not sure if they can afford or pay another FA contract for the OL.  Feliciano will be outside looking in  as far as Bills are concerned with FA.   They will get one of the low end FA or a mid round draft pick,  I am not sure Feliciano contract requirement will now fit the BIlls budget for 2021

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I could also see them standing pat at guard. They may conclude that they're good enough and they actually have decent depth at the position.   This would allow them to focus resources on more pressing needs:  D-line, TE and RB.

They should draft a C/G prospect to play Guard year 1 and take over at Center for Morse in another year or 2.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea...I don’t understand fans who think we are set at WR and dont need to invest.... even with the Brown release.....they are essentially one Diggs injury away from bottom of the barrel unit again. 

They should take a WR within their first 3 picks assuming a good prospect is there if they don’t have a shot at Samuel now.

I would be utterly shocked if we don’t get a FA WR or draft one in the first 3 rounds. 

Once Brown got released, I’ve just figured we’ll bring in a WR who’s either younger and/or cheaper. 

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Bills cannot go into the next season with the same OL and RBs and expect different results. Unless the brass believes in Ford at G will be the difference. I am not convinced. A C/G option has to be added . 

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

What's the basis to believe that they are good enough? What exactly will change next season with the same personnel on the OL? Of course they need help on D line, TE . Probably not at RB if the OL changes . 

9 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Bills cannot go into the next season with the same OL and RBs and expect different results. Unless the brass believes in Ford at G will be the difference. I am not convinced. A C/G option has to be added . 

What's the basis to believe that they are good enough? What exactly will change next season with the same personnel on the OL? Of course they need help on D line, TE . Probably not at RB if the OL changes . 

Continuity is big. Putting/developing Ford now solely at LG should help his development.  Ideally they find a better RG, but Feliciano being healthy going into the season should also be a big help.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Doc said:

Continuity is big. Putting/developing Ford now solely at LG should help his development.  Ideally they find a better RG, but Feliciano being healthy going into the season should also be a big help.

I would love to see them draft Tevin Jenkins and put him at RG...perfect blend of power and athletic ability imo...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

So if Chevy plays LG does Boat Anchor go back to the bench?

Why not leave Boat Anchor at LG and put Chevy at RG?

He played on the right side 2 years ago at RT

Ford started at LG the last 5 games he played last year. Considering Feliciano was out for those games, I think that’s where they want to keep him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I agree that we can't stand pat at RB. 

I'm of the opinion that the problem with our running game has more to do with the RB's then the O linemen.  So given the limited remaining budget and a desperate need for an edge rusher my logic says focus on upgrading RB while keeping our fingers crossed that Ford and the current Guards can combine to get the job done. It might also be more economical to get a better blocking TE or H Back to help the running game then upgrading the guard position.

For me the prioritization is simple:  Edge Rusher then Defensive Tackle then RB then TE then Guard.  By the time we get to guard I doubt we can pick up someone better then what we already have.

11 hours ago, billieve420 said:

They should draft a C/G prospect to play Guard year 1 and take over at Center for Morse in another year or 2.

I'm all for drafting a Guard in rounds 2 - 6 if the right guy is there.  But I don't trust putting a rookie in a Super Bowl contenders interior O line unless we have to because of injury. 

20 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

The Bills may believe that the line will improve in training camp and preseason which they did not get to have will improve running game.

Have invested in Quittin' Spain who was not able to keep starting position against Cody Ford and Brian Winters.

They also will have a potentially easier schedule (although will not help in playoffs) and hopefully less injuries.