Breaking: Daryl Williams signs 3 year extension

Like a lot of fans and the folks on the local sports radio and media, I thought it was one or the other with Milano & Williams. Maybe neither. Beyond pumped we can keep both of these guys for what seems like reasonable deals 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So Rumblings predicted 4 years, $35M, $18M guaranteed ($8.75/yr)

Actual is being reported as 3 years, $28.2M, $9.4M/yr with $14M guaranteed. 

My guess for his cap hit would be would be $8-9M signing bonus, $4M salary this year for a total cap hit (with roster and workout bonuses and stuff) around $7M

Buffalo Fanatics put this on Instagram, not sure their source

image.thumb.png.84571c18d44c88c3f5a8c6cf6bc89b6d.png

2021: $1M salary plus $1.8M amortized signing bonus plus $3M roster bonus plus 0.350M workout and per-game

Looks like about $6.2M-$8.4M depending upon whether the $2.2M yearly incentives are classified as "likely to be met" or "unlikely to be met"

I was right about the salary (effectively) but way over on the signing bonus

Beane is a Wizard. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

WOW! Now we just need to upgrade RG. I never thought we would be able to get both Williams and Milano. Times they are a-changin'!

If they re-sign Feliciano that only leaves 1 guard spot open and I would think Cody Ford will get every opportunity to earn it.

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

If they re-sign Feliciano that only leaves 1 guard spot open and I would think Cody Ford will get every opportunity to earn it.

I'm sure Ford will get a chance to compete for a spot, but what about Ike Boettger?  They seem to really like him.

But if they do bring Boettger back, perhaps it's Ford/Boettger at LG and Feliciano/draft pick at RG?

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

We are paying these guys market value or above. Glad to have them back but we are not doing it on the cheap. If these guys signed elsewhere on these contracts I bet most would be saying "Beane would not pay that kind of money". So I have mixed feelings on the signings. Now we need good value at other positions bc our value RT just got paid.  Happy they are back but was hoping for upgrades on the edge and at TE.

Really ???

42 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Daryl Williams was the only high priority to re-sign, IMO.

It's an offense-driven team........the Bills finished second in the NFL in scoring.........quality blocking is a lot more important to this team than Matt Milano on a middle of the league defense.

The tackle position is more important than a guard........not going to find many guards who can man-up on an island with TJ Watt and shut him down.   DW just had a very good year and he has an actual All Pro season in his recent past.....and they got him for less years,  lower AAV and almost half the guaranteed money of Milano.    

That is a good value.

Now as for who is more valuable,  a guard like Elgton Jenkins that you have complained about Beane passing on.......or WR's like DK Metcalf or AJ Brown who were also passed on in favor of Cody Ford?

Obviously, the two latter players, stud playmakers,  are heading toward approx $22M aav second contracts..........Elgton is playing at a similar level but at a lesser valued position so he will be lucky to get $12M and a lesser % of that overall deal in guarantees.

Nice post.

A little discussion/debate instead of patronizing/trolling. Wasn’t so hard, was it? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I thought Mongo was one of the better run blockers last season. I think the lack of a consistent run game was in part due to scheme and the effective nature of the passing attack. Wouldn’t mind upgrading one of the guard positions but edge is the bigger need in my opinion.

I agree with this. This sounds dumb (and maybe is dumb), but I think the Bills' current line can be great run blockers-- they just need to do it more and do it with more attitude. 

I can't help but recall the first Patriots game, Chargers game, and last 8 minutes of the Steelers' game-- we just imposed our will and ran it down the other team's throats.  How do you harness that to do it on a more consistent basis?

29 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I thought Mongo was one of the better run blockers last season. I think the lack of a consistent run game was in part due to scheme and the effective nature of the passing attack. Wouldn’t mind upgrading one of the guard positions but edge is the bigger need in my opinion.

Just curious, have you watched one of the run game breakdowns that are out there on Youtube?  I thought Cover1 did a good job.   I wondered if they were cherry-picking so I went back through 6 games to try to figure it out. 

YMMV, but I came away thinking that Morse was doing better in the run game than I thought, and that Feliciano was doing worse.  A lot was footwork issues and being beaten by stunting.  Whether that's something he can fix or whether it's that he has slow feet, needs to guess, and gets pwned if he guesses wrong, can't say.  Can't rule out that whatever he was taking to get through the games had an impact, either.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Great!!

Lol the guy that told me yesterday there was as NO chance this could happen after Milano signing...

Aussie Joe that was me... I will eat my flip flop as the guy in GR once said. This was a great thing for them to do. It just means no spending on a DE. 

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

Everything I have read on Williams was that he could get $7-8M per. Milano's value was impacted by David at only $12.5M. I dont see any discount on either guy. Maybe someone would have paid them, but dont see them getting more than what we paid. 

Not according to Spotrac’s market valuations of both, which were higher than what the Bills paid. Everything I’ve read is contrary to your post.

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I agree with this. This sounds dumb (and maybe is dumb), but I think the Bills' current line can be great run blockers-- they just need to do it more and do it with more attitude. 

I can't help but recall the first Patriots game, Chargers game, and last 8 minutes of the Steelers' game-- we just imposed our will and ran it down the other team's throats.  How do you harness that to do it on a more consistent basis?

Last year's Bills OL could be better run blockers than they showed at times.  Without doubt more focus and more attitude would help. 

But IMHO part of the difference between the run in the Patriots, Chargers, Steelers, Broncos games vs. the Raiders, Titans, KC, 'Zona etc was the quality of the DL we faced.  We faced a fair bit of soft boxes, but the good lines were able to get off our blocks and spoil the party.  My conclusion was that we have an OL that's good enough to run block (if they focus a bit and practice) against ok to good DL but not against the top DL in the league.  We didn't even try against the Ravens.

4 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Aussie Joe that was me... I will eat my flip flop as the guy in GR once said. This was a great thing for them to do. It just means no spending on a DE. 

Check your deck of cards.  I think it's possible that the Beanmeister may have a couple up his sleeve yet.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

You know under $10mil per for a market where RTs can get upwards of 12-15 is a friggin steal. This was a fair deal for both sides. See what winning does to keep contracts fair!!! 

10 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This is the least dumb thing I've heard in fact because I have been saying it all along.  Ha

Running backs and offensive lines need to get into a rhythm running the ball.  Once they get the dline on their heels they just keep winning.   We did that like 3 times all year.  Impossible to get into a rhythm when you run once every 10 plays.  

Think how they closed out games with moss when we needed to.  

This line can run.  Our backs aren't as bad as it seems.  Just needs to have more opportunities 

• Like (+1) 1