Tom Brady signs 4 Year Extension (playing to 47)

24 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Its a loser mentality to hate Brady. 

giphy.gif

Huh?? This goes to the essence of fandom! Love your team, hate the rest, or am I missing something? You can respect the accomplishments of the opposition while at the same time not liking them. I bleed Bills all day every day, if that makes me a loser, well, at least I may have some company around here.;)

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

4 years through 2022? Is it 2018 i don’t get it. I hope we don’t  draft  that Wyoming kid I like Rosen he’s pro ready. 

Yeah, that was a confusing tweet. Looks like the extension is 4 years (onto the 1 remaining), but Tampa can void it in 2 years, so he is locked into Tampa for at least 2 seasons, but could be 5.

15 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

I don't love the guy but all my animosity for him disappeared this year.  The great experiment is over, I actually just hate the Patriots.

I don’t go out of my way to hate Tom Brady now. But when the opportunity presents itself....

17 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

I don't love the guy but all my animosity for him disappeared this year.  The great experiment is over, I actually just hate the Patriots.

Interesting. But if last year proved anything it was that Brady was the one responsible for shoving our faces in the dirt for 20 years, not the Pats.

Still hate him.

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, that was a confusing tweet. Looks like the extension is 4 years (onto the 1 remaining), but Tampa can void it in 2 years, so he is locked into Tampa for at least 2 seasons, but could be 5.

I think it probably automatically voids like the other contracts that have come through lately. So it's a 1 year extension but the cap hit is spread out beyond that. They can still theoretically rework it later on if they want to keep him beyond 2022 though.

20 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I still think BB was/is a darn good coach. Both super bowl wins against the Rams. Those were some good coaching jobs. Also coming back from 28-3. That takes a complete team effort.

In truth, it was that SB against Atlanta when I stopped hating Brady.  I was having a big party at my house, almost all against the Pats except one fried of my wife.  Anyway, Atlanta drive stalled when it was 28-3 in the late 3rd (?? cant remember exactly but something like that) and I said out loud "they left too much time, the pats are going to win this" having seen it 100 times before.  Sure enough, Brady engineers a magnificent comeback.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. He is only playing 1 more year. This is about Tampa being all in on repeating and being willing to account for Tom's money later.

They just won the SB and (obviously) have a team whose window to win another one is now and is closing soon.  This move makes financial sense.  Kick the salary cap challenges down the road while you still have a chance to win again.  By the time the rest of this cap hit is absorbed, Brady will be long gone.  Arians might be retired (again) too.

1 hour ago, Awwufelloff said:

t6soq4g668a21.jpg

Looks like Fitz.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

They just won the SB and (obviously) have a team whose window to win another one is now and is closing soon.  This move makes financial sense.  Kick the salary cap challenges down the road while you still have a chance to win again.  By the time the rest of this cap hit is absorbed, Brady will be long gone.  Arians might be retired (again) too.

Yep. My favourite phrase is the salary cap isn't really a spending cap, but an accounting cap. It is way more flexible and easy to manipulate than most fans realise. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. My favourite phrase is the salary cap isn't really a spending cap, but an accounting cap. It is way more flexible and easy to manipulate than most fans realise. 

In a few specific directions. 

There's a feeling among many that  you can manipulate it in many ways. You can't. A few specific ways. This is one of them.

You can borrow money from future years. Until you can't anymore. 

So how do these deals work? So you can do a 4 year deal worth $50M voidable after 2 years, bonus is $40M, salary is $2.5M per. So your cap hit is only $12.5M per which you take over two years. Then in year 3 deal is voided and you take a $25M hit? Seems like a no brainer. You get your elite QB on the books for half price and then he retires and you have a rookie or other cheap QB in year with the dead cap.