Cam About To Re-Sign With New England

H2o

21 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Lets say you're right.  Who is going to be the starter?

A free agent or a rookie?  Do you have a couple of names?

If they draft a QB, Cam plays a few games until the QB is ready. They are still eyeing the situation in SF. That's been their main goal all along. Besides maybe a D.Watson or a R.WIlson for obvious reason, they aren't interested in anything else out there for QB unless someone really shakes loose and becomes really cheap. (wishful thinking on their part)

I know Trey Lance or a that Jones kid from Alabama keeps being attached to the patriots but I have no clue if BB would trade up to get Lance and I also hear that getting Jones at 15 is too high for him, plus i would like to see a QB that could get out of the pocket if they have to. Jones isn't that type of QB. 

for me i would of been fine with a bridge QB for now, Mariota (but I am hearing the pats don't view him as a true leader), Jimmy G...to be honestly i just want to see a QB who could actually get the ball to a receiver at this point. So yes, having to watch Cam at any point this season is not what I am looking for. Also i would like Sam Darnold too, but I know damn well Jets won't trade him to NE.

Edited by Ghost_002!

6 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

If they draft a QB, Cam plays a few games until the QB is ready. They are still eyeing the situation in SF. That's been their main goal all along. Besides maybe a D.Watson or a R.WIlson for obvious reason, they aren't interested in anything else out there for QB unless someone really shakes loose and becomes really cheap. (wishful thinking on their part)

I know Trey Lance or a that Jones kid from Alabama keeps being attached to the patriots but I have no clue if BB would trade up to get Lance and I also hear that getting Jones at 15 is too high for him, plus i would like to see a QB that could get out of the pocket if they have to. Jones isn't that type of QB. 

for me i would of been fine with a bridge QB for now, Mariota (but I am hearing the pats don't view him as a true leader), Jimmy G...to be honestly i just want to see a QB who could actually get the ball to a receiver at this point. So yes, having to watch Cam at any point this season is not what I am looking for.

After the Cam news it seems to me that they intend to go to the draft for their starter.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

After the Cam news it seems to me that they intend to go to the draft for their starter.

All joking aside, yes, I think this is correct.

There is no way BB thinks Cam Newton is good enough to win.

Maybe other QB prospects didn't pan out and he realized he has to tank, get the #1 pick, and find a QB that way.

Hmmmm.  He could have just kept rolling along with Brady! 

He's losing it.

56 minutes ago, MJS said:

He would be a horrible backup option. That QB room would be super toxic.

Why do you say that? Virtually every report about Cam this season in NE regarding his contribution to team chemistry was highly positive. He also presumably knows what rung he occupies in the great QB hierarchy now after multiple low-level one-year deals. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

Plans to come back to this thread when it because obviously they are signing him as a backup and not the starter. 

Whatt???!  14 mill for a backup....nope

Just now, dave mcbride said:

It's not $14 million. It's $8 million with a ton of incentives that he'll only meet if he starts and plays well.

Right. Seems to me like they'll either draft a QB this year and Cam is the transition, or they stick with Cam and hope for a high draft pick next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

All joking aside, yes, I think this is correct.

There is no way BB thinks Cam Newton is good enough to win.

Maybe other QB prospects didn't pan out and he realized he has to tank, get the #1 pick, and find a QB that way.

Hmmmm.  He could have just kept rolling along with Brady! 

He's losing it.

There are a ton of rumors out there about Jimmy G heading back to NE. Garappolo is a good QB, but he has an undeniable injury history and Newton is a good backup option to have.  

3 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Right. Seems to me like they'll either draft a QB this year and Cam is the transition, or they stick with Cam and hope for a high draft pick next year.

I assume their starting qb is a) in the NFL now and b) not on the Patriots at present. Last year was their "down year"; this year can't be. They'll be in it to win it. They have a mountain of cap space, excellent returning opt-outs, and a lot of picks (9). I hate to say it, but they're the divisional opponent I worry about the most next season. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

l-o-l

they paid him 1 million last year and said: “yeah, we like that *****. Let’s do it for much more!”

It’s got to be a crazy incentive laden deal, no freaking way are they paying him that much after the garbage season he put up last year.  In ALL seriousness, I would take Tyrod first. I’d imagine it being something to the extent of a small signing bonus and non-guaranteed base with some simple bonuses of starts, yards, TDs etc.  If they cut him in camp, just the signing bonus fail.

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Why do you say that? Virtually every report about Cam this season in NE regarding his contribution to team chemistry was highly positive. He also presumably knows what rung he occupies in the great QB hierarchy now after multiple low-level one-year deals. 

He is a huge narcissist and I believe he would be a malcontent if relegated to backup duty.

If you feel differently, good for you.

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Clicked in here just to see how hard Biscuit would roll for Cam.... nailed it. 

I mean I don’t know you are but thanks for noticing me. ☺️

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

He is a huge narcissist and I believe he would be a malcontent if relegated to backup duty.

If you feel differently, good for you.

Apparently, Belichick feels different. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

He would be a horrible backup option. That QB room would be super toxic.

You keep posting this and he just played for the coach who takes no BS and got re-signed.  Maybe he’s not the toxic personality you think he is.  

Personally, I don't agree that Cam Newton is as "done" as many seem to think.

The Patriots offense as a whole last year was awful. It's hard to envision any QB succeeding with that supporting cast.

He had some real stinkers, to be sure, but he also had games where he posted QB ratings of 100.7, 114.3, 102.6, and 127.4. This tells me that he can still play. 

The last time he was reasonably healthy and had some weaponry around him, in 2018, he produced 28 total TDs and 13 INTs. Cam also stated how much havoc COVID wreaked on his mental faculties last year.

I don't mean to make excuses for Newton, but I think that if you surround him with a decent supporting cast, you can definitely win 10 or more games with him on a consistent basis. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

☺️

You keep posting this and he just played for the coach who takes no BS and got re-signed.  Maybe he’s not the toxic personality you think he is.  

Cam has not been an issue personality wise in NE..I die laughing when someone tries to make this claim all the time.

The coach loves him, the players love him. He's been great with the media. The fans have no issue with him beside his play. He has been fine. The only problem is his play.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Rico said:

Both are garbage, but at least Cam was good at one point.

Mariota was a contributor to an anemic offense for sure, but he’s got all the skills to be really good in the right situation.  Biggest question is does he have the killer instinct?  I’d say, not presently.  That said, him vs this version of Cam? I’m taking Mariota.