Bills sign Matt Milano to 4 yr, 44 mill deal with 24 mill gtd

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Have a better game plan.  It is not impossible to beat the Chiefs with our same unit.  The Falcons should have beaten them but the corner dropped the INT.

They held Mahomes to a 58% completion percentage, 278 yards on only 6.8 yards per pass....without sacking him once.

No doubt. It all starts with McD.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Have a better game plan.  It is not impossible to beat the Chiefs with our same unit.  The Falcons should have beaten them but the corner dropped the INT.

They held Mahomes to a 58% completion percentage, 278 yards on only 6.8 yards per pass....without sacking him once.

Or some more playmakers on D.

Or on the O-line.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Or some more playmakers on D.

Or on the O-line.

Like the playmakers on the Falcons defense and that relentless pass rush.

Our offensive line is set except LG and looks like Ford is the penciled in starter.  So our OLine is essentially the same.  No way we can beat the Chiefs with them?

Edited by Royale with Cheese

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Like the playmakers on the Falcons defense and that relentless pass rush.

Our offensive line is set except LG and looks like Ford is the penciled in starter.  So our OLine is essentially the same.  No way we can beat the Chiefs with them?

The Falcons was a meaningless game, and serves no point in this discussion.  It's like pointing out that the Jets held the Bills to zero TDs and Josh to 7 ypa.  So what?

The Bills gameplan v KC should have included "don't let D line blow by you over and over", so, yeah, maybe it was all gameplan...

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Falcons was a meaningless game, and serves no point in this discussion.  It's like pointing out that the Jets held the Bills to zero TDs and Josh to 7 ypa.  So what?

The Bills gameplan v KC should have included "don't let D line blow by you over and over", so, yeah, maybe it was all gameplan...

Meaningless game huh?  That clinched home field advantage.  Is this how how much you'll reach?  A game that clinches a first round bye and homefield throughout the playoffs is meaningless?  Geeeeezus.

https://www.ksnt.com/sports/nfl-kansas-city/chiefs-win-17-14-clinch-no-1-seed-first-round-bye-and-home-field-advantage/

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No way they can beat the Chiefs is an exaggeration... however, all things being equal, I think the Chiefs would beat the Bills 6/7 times out of 10. I don't think they are as dominant a team over Buffalo as it looked in the Championship game, but I don't think they are neck and neck either.... you are also right that anything can happen in one game. 

This is actually sensible.

45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Having a healthy Gabe Davis, Beasley, and Brown would have helped.  Sanders would have been a better matchup against KC's physical coverage CBs according to the experts.

Whether we match up against the Chefs next year will be entirely about:

- if a healthy Mongo and Ford can stay upright and protect Allen,

- getting Star Lotullululemon back shores up our defensive line

- some combination of Tremaine and Taron/Nickle can do anything to cover Kelce

Looks to me like we are still very much the second best team in the AFC, at best, but who knows.  There is little momentum or continuity from year to year.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Meaningless game huh?  That clinched home field advantage.  Is this how how much you'll reach?  A game that clinches a first round bye and homefield throughout the playoffs is meaningless?  Geeeeezus.

https://www.ksnt.com/sports/nfl-kansas-city/chiefs-win-17-14-clinch-no-1-seed-first-round-bye-and-home-field-advantage/

This is actually sensible.

They beat the Falcons.  The bye is nice.  Still would have been Bills v KC in the AFCC game.  

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Having a healthy Gabe Davis, Beasley, and Brown would have helped.  Sanders would have been a better matchup against KC's physical coverage CBs according to the experts.

Whether we match up against the Chefs next year will be entirely about:

- if a healthy Mongo and Ford can stay upright and protect Allen,

- getting Star Lotullululemon back shores up our defensive line

- some combination of Tremaine and Taron/Nickle can do anything to cover Kelce

Looks to me like we are still very much the second best team in the AFC, at best, but who knows.  There is little momentum or continuity from year to year.

Brown was done (but his legend endured).  Yeah, having 100% Beasely and Brown (or a decent TE) would have helped.

But the Chiefs crushed the O-line.  And the D gave up the game in the 2nd Q and put it out of reach in the 3rd. 

Who knows what's left of Star.  Guy has sat around for year and a half.   Feliciano is shaky.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They beat the Falcons.  The bye is nice.  Still would have been Bills v KC in the AFCC game.  

Brown was done anyway (but his legend endured).  Yeah, having 100% Beasely and Brown (or a decent TE) would have helped.

But the Chiefs crushed the O-line.  And the D gave up the game in the 2nd Q and put it out of reach in the 3rd. 

Who knows what's left of Star.  Guy has sat around for year and a half.   Feliciano is shaky.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Brown was done (but his legend endured).  Yeah, having 100% Beasely and Brown (or a decent TE) would have helped.

Feliciano was playing hurt.  He went down clutching his knee a few times in those playoffs but gutted it out.  He had also come back from the torn pec which I believe they were trying to protect much of the year.  I can only speculate the degree to which that would change the outcome.  Maybe he still gets bulldozed by Jones.  

No clue what to expect from Star.  If he has stayed in shape this defense is better with him in the lineup.  Let Oliver play his natural position.  

If we are ready to beat the Chiefs next year its because we strike gold in the draft and/or Epenesa/Edmunds/Ford/Daboll/Frazier make some major leaps.

Just now, Jauronimo said:

Feliciano was playing hurt.  He went down clutching his knee a few times in those playoffs but gutted it out.  He had also come back from the torn pec which I believe they were trying to protect much of the year.  I can only speculate the degree to which that would change the outcome.  Maybe he still gets bulldozed by Jones.  

No clue what to expect from Star.  If he has stayed in shape this defense is better with him in the lineup.  Let Oliver play his natural position.  

If we are ready to beat the Chiefs next year its because we strike gold in the draft and/or Epenesa/Edmunds/Ford/Daboll/Frazier make some major leaps.

He had no problem getting all over Okafor....after he had decked Josh, pec be damned.

But I agree, if the Bills are to beat them as is, Ford and Edmunds need to get to next level.  Epenesa was an afterthought all season, not sure how he changes the game.  Also agree, Need to hit it in the draft with a real  playmaker or 2.  

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well....it was the one game (and team) that kept them out of the SB.  How does the same Bills team beat them in the next AFCC game?

You seemed to have skipped detail that when you posted your 'big deal, one game' themed thread.  

I don't know, how were the Chiefs going to beat the Raiders after they lost to them last year? You seem to think there's no point to playing the games. Outcomes are apparently pre-ordained. Sometimes you don't need to do things differently, just execute them better.

Edited by Boxcar

57 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I don't know, how were the Chiefs going to beat the Raiders after they lost to them last year? You seem to think there's no point to playing the games. Outcomes are apparently pre-ordained. Sometimes you don't need to do things differently, just execute them better.

thats one way to misunderstand what was posted...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sounds kind of bitter banter by this “exec” that Allen could “regress” and miss the playoffs after watching him improve each year and retaining the same Oc and weapons - you could say that about most QBs I guess but it’s just wishful thinking if you are another team.  I’m not sure I agree they need to “fix” their DL but enhancing it on top of the addition back of Star which will allow Oliver to play his natural role and adding Obada to a second year epenesa who looked really good as the year progressed doesn’t scream to me it needs “fixed.” They don’t have any holes, anyone in the draft that they take will be to make the team better, not fill a hole. Their success in 2021-22 doesn’t hinge on the draft. That said, the take that it is a bad DL draft is nuanced - it doesn’t have the depth that say WR does or the “elite” transformational guy at the top like a Bosa, Myles Garrett, Chase Young, that is true. But that player wouldn’t have been available to the Bills anyway. It does have some 1st round type players who are really good and can be great young additions to the Bills rotation and could get pushed down - Azeez Onzulari, Kwity Paye, Jaelen Phillips come to mind. 

I have to disagree Yolo. I don't think Josh will regress, my main point is the D.

I really believe our DL is not of SB caliber. Star returning may help isn't going be the missing link. Giod teams run all over us and we can't get off the field on 3rd and long against good QBs. Pinning hopes on Obada sounds like us pinning hopes on Jefferson and Addison last year.  It's not a stellar draft for edge, especially picking at 30.

We won a lot of white knucle games last year (thanks to Josh) after our D couldn't close a game out. I still hold out hope Beane signs a legit run stuffer 1 tech and we do better than last year with our pass rush by comittee. But in my gut I feel we'll  have to continually blitz to get pressure and TEs will feast on 3rd down and move chains. I hope to be wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2021 at 12:26 AM, Billl said:

He is, but I wouldn’t consider anything he’s done so far this off-season especially noteworthy.  Swapping out Brown for Sanders is probably the biggest roster move, but I’d still consider that tinkering.  He has done a good job of re-signing players to team friendly contracts, and signing Brenda was a low key good move.  

Given his track record I would have expected Beane to have been a bit more aggressive.  I guess it wouldn’t shock me to see him move up in the draft for a pass rusher.  I think that’s the team’s biggest need by far, and I don’t see an obvious target in the late first round this year.

He did try to get Watt....it didn't work out.   He did sign Mitch Tribusky to backup Josh,  I believe that is a big investment....

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who knows what's left of Star.  Guy has sat around for year and a half.

Where does this viewpoint come from? I see it all over this board. Why does everyone think that Star is lazy and we shouldn't expect him to come back to the team in shape? Is it just because he opted out for the year? Players go a whole year rehabbing an ACL tear and come back in the same shape they were in before the injury. Why does sitting out for the season mean he's been lazing around?

Star is specifically known for being the first one in/last one out at the gym. He was one of the very first players McDermott brought to Buffalo with him, and he overpaid to make sure he got him. That alone should tell you the kind of player Star is. Before the offseason there was all this random speculation that Star was going to retire from football and I never understood where it came from.

No question getting Star back is huge for this defense. Not just for what he adds to the team, but the trickle down effects of him being on the field. Oliver can play 3-tech full time where he belongs. Phillips and Zimmer are just rotational depth now, rather than being forced into starting roles. Edmunds and Milano will have an easier time staying clean. Star is by no means an elite player but he fills a very important role in McDermott's defense.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Where does this viewpoint come from? I see it all over this board. Why does everyone think that Star is lazy and we shouldn't expect him to come back to the team in shape? Is it just because he opted out for the year? Players go a whole year rehabbing an ACL tear and come back in the same shape they were in before the injury. Why does sitting out for the season mean he's been lazing around?

Star is specifically known for being the first one in/last one out at the gym. He was one of the very first players McDermott brought to Buffalo with him, and he overpaid to make sure he got him. That alone should tell you the kind of player Star is. Before the offseason there was all this random speculation that Star was going to retire from football and I never understood where it came from.

No question getting Star back is huge for this defense. Not just for what he adds to the team, but the trickle down effects of him being on the field. Oliver can play 3-tech full time where he belongs. Phillips and Zimmer are just rotational depth now, rather than being forced into starting roles. Edmunds and Milano will have an easier time staying clean. Star is by no means an elite player but he fills a very important role in McDermott's defense.

He wasn't injured.  He was one of the extremely low number of players who chose not to play.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He wasn't injured.  He was one of the extremely low number of players who chose not to play.

He was once diagnosed with a heart condition that was possibly brought on by a viral infection. Does opting out for that reason mean he is lazy?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

it’s harder to stay in top competitive shape while not being a pro athlete. Maybe he is in the best shape of his life? Odds are no. Hope he is ready to compete.