Bills sign Matt Milano to 4 yr, 44 mill deal with 24 mill gtd

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

As I said. Money talks.

If the Bills offered any of them a significant contract similar to what they took why wouldn't they sign with a team that just went 13-3 and played in the championship game with a star QB?

You are completely misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm suggesting they didn't sign in Buffalo because Beane didn't attempt to sign them for the money they ultimately got when they signed elsewhere.

How did the Bills sign Mario Williams years ago? 

There are certainly outliers, like the FB you mentioned above, but If Beane wanted a top end pass rusher he could've signed one by paying them. Money is usually a gigantic factor in why players sign where they do.... Whys that so hard for you to believe?

Milano, Feliciano and Williams didn’t test FA because they wanted to stay in Buffalo.  They passed up bigger pay days.  

Are you going to ignore Micah Hyde’s quote?  He basically said players won’t even consider signing in Buffalo.  But he’s wrong, you’re right.  

Weather, being closer to home, closer to family,  more desirable cities....doesn’t matter.  Buffalo is where they want to be because we made it to the AFCCG....its so obvious.

You want us to be the Jacksonville, Washington, NYJ and the Dolphins when it comes to free agency.  They have the formula and their success proves it.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Nah man never said that.

My argument all along has been the Bills should've/should make a strong effort to bolster their defensive line.... and if necessary, let other player walk/cut to get that done.... you can't say they've done that to this point and it's pretty lame to use the excuse it's because they don't want to come here, when in all likelihood it's because we didn't offer them a contract like that ones they've taken with their new teams. 

And I think Hydes quote was in respect to when he first came to Buffalo.... when the organization was a tire fire. 

“There’s just a lot of guys that think Buffalo is the old Buffalo, not winning and all that. It’s disrespect because the city is an amazing city. The team and organization are amazing,” Hyde said. “At the end of the day we’re trying to win football games, and if you don’t want to be in Buffalo, don’t come. … If I’m able to finish my career in Buffalo, that’s the ultimate plan.”

Hyde said this right after he was extended lol.

I also said there are other possible factors.  We don’t know the reasons why because we aren’t a part of the discussions.  You’re the one saying you know why they didn’t sign here.

Straight up.  If we had offer Bud Dupree a similar contract to the Titans, he without a doubt would have signed with the Bills because they went further in the playoffs.  100% right?

55 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well, when in doubt, @ScottLaw is always the correct default. But in this thread particularly, @Billl & @Niagara Dude need to be taken out behind the woodshed.

jmo.

I have to say, taking someone out behind the woodshed or "Woodshed Special" is one of my favorite references, however I don't actually know it's origins.

When I was in high school, we had this random wall in the middle of a field that was called the kick board.  I think it was meant to practice soccer on, but no one ever used it or that.  So, when there was going to be a fight, that's where everyone knew to meet up.

I'm curious if the woodshed is something similar.

With that, I shall meet each of these gentlemen at the kick board.

As for you @Logic, I know.  I needed a break.  I'm going to start the sign-up for 2.0 on Monday.  I'm trying to iron out some changes in my head first.  I'm debating a committee of 3 people to run the Bills pick instead of a TSW poll.  I'm also debating making QB needy teams go to a higher post count user.  Those are the two things that can make a mock draft go sideways quickly

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Nah man never said that.

My argument all along has been the Bills should've/should make a strong effort to bolster their defensive line.... and if necessary, let other player walk/cut to get that done.... you can't say they've done that to this point and it's pretty lame to use the excuse it's because they don't want to come here, when in all likelihood it's because we didn't offer them a contract like that ones they've taken with their new teams. 

And I think Hydes quote was in respect to when he first came to Buffalo.... when the organization was a tire fire. 

Was there really a pass rush guy out there whom you thought would make an immediate impact?  I personally didn't.  Addison should have been that guy last year and I'd rather have the proven commodity in Milano back, see what we can get in the draft, then go after someone next year when we have money to spend.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Change your name from ScottLaw to KarenLaw.  Your name should be something that fits you.

If you're going to make this statement, then you need to go the extra mile and photoshop the haircut on him, demanding to speak to a moderator

On 4/2/2021 at 2:17 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

If we are a predominantly zone coverage team, why would we have Milano in man all game? What if Kelce lines up on the other side?

We run a mix of both.  I'm not going to go back and watch the game to prove it, but Milano was on Andrews for a lot of the Ravens game and shut him down.  While the Taron Johnson pick 6 was the play of the game, I would argue that Milano was the defensive player of the game by taking away Lamar's main weapon. 

Clearly, the Chiefs did something different with Kelce and we adjusted wrong.  But that Ravens game was all I needed to see to justify bringing him back.  I still put the Chiefs game on a poor defensive scheme assisted by crap tackling

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Virgil said:

As for you @Logic, I know.  I needed a break.  I'm going to start the sign-up for 2.0 on Monday.  I'm trying to iron out some changes in my head first.  I'm debating a committee of 3 people to run the Bills pick instead of a TSW poll.  I'm also debating making QB needy teams go to a higher post count user.  Those are the two things that can make a mock draft go sideways quickly

I am 100% in favor of the "QB needy teams" rule. I've seen SEVERAL mock drafts over the past few years here go sideways because someone picking for a team that would obviously be taking a QB decided to throw a wrench into the works just for fun and selected something unrealistic instead.

As for the committee instead of the board picking for the Bills...not sure whether that would go over well or not. I'm not really sure how much enjoyment the board does or does not derive from having an active role in that pick. Generally speaking, I'm in favor of anything you decide to do to make it smoother/easier on yourself and make it run smoothly.

p.s. I live on the west coast, so it often happens that by my first visit to TSW of the day, I've missed out on a lot of the fun due to the time difference. If you could save me one spot in the 2.0 draft for any ol' team, I'd be much obliged. And as always, my offer to help in any way I can still stands.

• Like (+1) 1

This is most likely too much work but if someone does not draft or makes a pick to screw up the draft, do not invite.  

Maybe do the final draft as an invitational - select the people who are dependable and make well reasoned selections.  You may not make the same selection  but can understand why. No 2nd or 3rd round grades in round 1.

Lastly, I like the poll but too many selections.  Use the 3 person team to select 5 potential draft picks and stick to those.  Ignore the "please add X" suggestions.  Put the emphasis on how Beane would build the team, not favorite players.

Thanks again for organizing and if you need assistance, please ask.

14 hours ago, Boxcar said:

He brought back almost every starter for a 13-3 team that went to the AFCCG, brought back almost every player on team friendly deals, and made excellent depth additions, all while dealing with a reduced cap. The key starter that wasn't brought back was upgraded upon (Sanders). That isn't noteworthy? Literally no other team in the NFL did that.

How are we so sure that even if there was a consensus end of 1st DE that he'd even be better than Addison or dare I say year 2 Epenesa? I'm more concerned with getting a big boi 1 tech than a pass rusher, because I don't really think it's an issue. I'd even prioritize a CB 2 over a DE in the draft.

I continue to be in awe at the sheer volume of people who ***** their pants over one game. Now there are those saying TB is clearly better than KC. Because of one game. It's truly incredible. Did you guys know that Mahomes, Kelce and Hill are really good and that barely anyone has been able to stop them for 3 years? It's apparently surprising that Kelce was able to catch so many passes.

The counter argument would be that he brought back the same team that couldn't stop Mahomes, Kelce and Hill, and allowed Kelce to catch so many passes.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Really?

I think Reddick, Dunlap, Lawson, Yannick, Autry, and even Hendrickson would have made an instant impact in the pass rush.... Addisons cooked at this point. 

I’m not going to look up all of their deals, but didn’t half of them seek pay days and the others took home town discounts waiting for the cap to go back up.  

Either way, we weren’t going to win either of those deals 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I don’t think it’s wrong to say that if the Bills really felt they needed an upgrade at pass rusher they’d have been aggressive in getting that done. They redid Addisons contract pretty early into FA which was obviously a tell they weren’t going to go all in on one of the good FA pass rushers available. 

I think they’d tell you they are confident in the group they have and if their defensive line gets manhandled against the Chiefs or in the playoffs again while struggling to generate any pass rush, then that’s on them correct? 

I mean of course its on them, it’s their team and they make every single decision.

Just like it was on them that constructed a 13-3 team.  
Is there like another scenario?

I have the strongest feeling you look like Randy Quaid and wears Jets hats.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

16 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The counter argument would be that he brought back the same team that couldn't stop Mahomes, Kelce and Hill, and allowed Kelce to catch so many passes.

Which was addressed where I said it was one game.

On 4/2/2021 at 1:58 PM, Green Lightning said:

I don't know if Milano is worth the coin or not. I just know this D is not good enough the win it all, and it hasn't improved. And I'm not alone in this. Below is a quote from am NFL executive on the Bills' off season in today's Athletic. 

They have to fix their defensive line, they have not done that, and this is a bad D-line draft,” an exec said. “If Josh Allen takes another step, it might not matter, but if he regresses, Buffalo is a team that could suddenly miss the playoffs.”

Sounds kind of bitter banter by this “exec” that Allen could “regress” and miss the playoffs after watching him improve each year and retaining the same Oc and weapons - you could say that about most QBs I guess but it’s just wishful thinking if you are another team.  I’m not sure I agree they need to “fix” their DL but enhancing it on top of the addition back of Star which will allow Oliver to play his natural role and adding Obada to a second year epenesa who looked really good as the year progressed doesn’t scream to me it needs “fixed.” They don’t have any holes, anyone in the draft that they take will be to make the team better, not fill a hole. Their success in 2021-22 doesn’t hinge on the draft. That said, the take that it is a bad DL draft is nuanced - it doesn’t have the depth that say WR does or the “elite” transformational guy at the top like a Bosa, Myles Garrett, Chase Young, that is true. But that player wouldn’t have been available to the Bills anyway. It does have some 1st round type players who are really good and can be great young additions to the Bills rotation and could get pushed down - Azeez Onzulari, Kwity Paye, Jaelen Phillips come to mind. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Of course they sought pay days... they play premier positions and are good at it... they weren't going to come cheap, but anyone saying the Bills couldn't afford them is merely making an excuse. 

Would you rather have the one pass rusher than Milano and either Williams/Mongo?

Don’t get me wrong, I want a pass rusher too, but I want a game wrecker like a Bosa if we are going to spend the money.  I just didn’t see a game wrecker available.  Everyone to me 

Edited by Virgil

2 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Which was addressed where I said it was one game.

Well....it was the one game (and team) that kept them out of the SB.  How does the same Bills team beat them in the next AFCC game?

You seemed to have skipped detail that when you posted your 'big deal, one game' themed thread.  

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well....it was the one game (and team) that kept them out of the SB.  How does the same Bills team beat them in the next AFCC game?

You seemed to have skipped detail that when you posted your 'big deal, one game' themed thread.  

Have a better game plan.  It is not impossible to beat the Chiefs with our same unit.  The Falcons should have beaten them but the corner dropped the INT.

They held Mahomes to a 58% completion percentage, 278 yards on only 6.8 yards per pass....without sacking him once.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1