Bills sign Matt Milano to 4 yr, 44 mill deal with 24 mill gtd

13 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

We really don't know if this is true or not.  Before the last two off-seasons, Beane needed to do everything  he could and throw big money just to attract a guy like Star.  This was probably the first time in about 20 years the Bills could attract top players based on the teams standing.  But this year there was little to no money available.  Lets see what he does  in another year when they have money.  They did supposedly make a serious run at Watt for big $$ and supposedly also Ertz, but Eagles wanted to much for him.

Also doesn't mean he needs to let Milano go to get a big star either in other seasons.

That’s a good point.  McBeane has moved the franchise to a different level than where it was for decades.  The conversation has evolved from trying to figure out how to get good players to figuring out who you’re going to let walk because there’s quality at every position.  These are boujee problems that only a handful of teams have to concern themselves with, but they’re still very real.

In 2018, Kansas City was the number 1 seed in the AFC and was basically a lost coin flip in overtime away from a Super Bowl.  Veach gutted the defense, and they won a championship the following year with 8 new defensive starters.  A year after losing in the Super Bowl, they’re going to have 6 or 7 new starters on offense.  That’s not because the team had 8 bad players on defense 3 seasons ago or 7 bad players on offense last year.  The front office looked at the product as a whole and decided that they weren’t going to win a championship with the same 22 players that lost in Tampa.  I look at the Bills the same way.  Last year’s team was really good, but I didn’t come away from the AFCCG thinking those 2 teams were evenly matched.  I felt the same way after watching Tampa undress the Chiefs.  

To my eye, Veach is making moves like a guy who is pissed about losing the Super Bowl whereas Beane is mostly tinkering.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think that is fair. Beane is a pretty aggressive GM. 

He is, but I wouldn’t consider anything he’s done so far this off-season especially noteworthy.  Swapping out Brown for Sanders is probably the biggest roster move, but I’d still consider that tinkering.  He has done a good job of re-signing players to team friendly contracts, and signing Brenda was a low key good move.  

Given his track record I would have expected Beane to have been a bit more aggressive.  I guess it wouldn’t shock me to see him move up in the draft for a pass rusher.  I think that’s the team’s biggest need by far, and I don’t see an obvious target in the late first round this year.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

That’s a good point.  McBeane has moved the franchise to a different level than where it was for decades.  The conversation has evolved from trying to figure out how to get good players to figuring out who you’re going to let walk because there’s quality at every position.  These are boujee problems that only a handful of teams have to concern themselves with, but they’re still very real.

In 2018, Kansas City was the number 1 seed in the AFC and was basically a lost coin flip in overtime away from a Super Bowl.  Veach gutted the defense, and they won a championship the following year with 8 new defensive starters.  A year after losing in the Super Bowl, they’re going to have 6 or 7 new starters on offense.  That’s not because the team had 8 bad players on defense 3 seasons ago or 7 bad players on offense last year.  The front office looked at the product as a whole and decided that they weren’t going to win a championship with the same 22 players that lost in Tampa.  I look at the Bills the same way.  Last year’s team was really good, but I didn’t come away from the AFCCG thinking those 2 teams were evenly matched.  I felt the same way after watching Tampa undress the Chiefs.  

To my eye, Veach is making moves like a guy who is pissed about losing the Super Bowl whereas Beane is mostly tinkering.

They gutted that horrible defense ranked 29th in the league because they allowed it to go bad after the 2017n season!

29. Kansas City Chiefs

I’m not sure if anyone knows what to expect out of the Chiefs defense after it lost several significant players in the offseason. CB Kendall Fuller should be a fine replacement for Marcus Peters but he’s not going to be the playmaker the new Rams corner had been for Kansas City. OLB Dee Ford is coming off a major injury and has looked like it during preseason. Justin Houston is now a year older and has averaged just seven sacks a season since 2014. The linebacker group would be perfect if it were 1995 and the running game still mattered. DT Chris Jones is a blue-chip talent but the Chiefs are going to be asking a lot of him. Expect a lot of shootouts in Kansas City this season.

21 hours ago, Billl said:

You’re so close to getting the point.  I’m not criticizing Milano at all.  If Kelce can’t be handled even by the best coverage LBs, then why pay big salaries for coverage LBs?  Tampa won by blowing up the line every play with their elite pass rushers up front allowing them to play that Cover 2 shell.  White makes $7,000,000 a year.  Milano is getting 40% more than that.  Using your own logic, he’s getting that money to cover average TEs while elite TEs run wild.  Wouldn’t it make more sense to use that money on an elite pass rush?

There is a pretty strong trend of teams with elite TEs making the Super Bowl.  The last 3 seasons have had Gronk, Gronk, Kelce, Kelce, and Kittle playing.  You don’t beat those teams with coverage LBs trying to hang with them for 4 seconds.  You either need shutdown CBs who allow for bracket coverage or with a pass rush that can get home without blitzing allowing your defense to play that shell.  The first time Buffalo played Kansas City they tried to sit back in a shell, and the Chiefs ran all over them because their front 4 couldn’t hold up.  The second game saw a different strategy, but Kelce and Hill did whatever they wanted.  As I said before, I don’t see how increasing Milano’s salary by a factor of 20 changes that equation.  

An elite coverage LB is a great asset against average TEs.  An elite pass rush is a great asset against everyone.  An $11,000,000 coverage LB strikes me more as a luxury item for a team that already has the pass rush figured out.

No, I understand your point, you are just all over the place.  I’m not the only one that sees it.

So since Devin White can’t get to the QB, your philosophy would be to let him walk....because he can’t erase Kelce or really any top tight end.  TB won’t resign him right?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/buccaneers/.amp/news/tampa-bay-buccaneers-devin-white-new-orleans-saints-coverage-playoffs

Yes, you were criticizing Milano because he’s the reason we didn’t run man against KC.  You said those EXACT words.  Since he can’t “erase” Kelce, McDermott couldn’t run man. 

I think you’re under the impression that Beane/McDermott are saying “the hell with pass rush, don’t need it”.  

How certain are you that the Bills did nothing to address pass rush?

Elite pass rushers are making $90,000,000 - $100,000,000 contracts.  Who was available this past year to give that much money and who without a doubt would have signed with the Bills if we made an attempt?

Edited by Royale with Cheese

23 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Exactly my thoughts.... there are certain positions you put a higher premium on. 

I’d absolutely part ways with Milano and Addison to get guys like Carlos Dunlap and Trey Hendrickson and fill in Milanos replacement with a combination of Klein and draft pick. 

Trey Hendrickson?  You would give him the contract after one good year?  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/bengals/.amp/gm-report/nfl-executives-question-bengals-biggest-free-agent-signing

You simply only look at box scores....

On 4/2/2021 at 4:01 PM, Billl said:

Fred Warner, Bobby Wagner, and Devin White are elite coverage LBs.  Welcome back to my point.  If you aren’t one of those guys and you aren’t a pass rusher, then I’m not paying big bucks for your services.  I’ll save the money and put it towards an edge who can force the ball out of the QBs hands, thus taking pressure off the coverage or I’ll spend on a CB who can play on an island freeing up a safety to bracket the TE.

I just don’t see enough difference between a JAG LB and a pretty good LB to matter.  I can hide a Reggie Ragland if it frees up $10,000,000 to put towards a star at an impact position who acts as a force multiplier for the entire unit.  I don’t understand how paying the guy who got rinsed for 3 hours in the AFCCG a 2000% salary increase closes the gap.

Not saying it’s a bad decision.  I simply used MM as an example of where Beane might have decided to de-emphasize one position in order to land a star elsewhere.  Adequate LBs can be had in the middle of the draft.  Beane has drafted RBs in the third round two years in a row and may well spend a first rounder on another this year.  Would you rather have Matt Milano and Zack Moss or $10,000,000 of cap space, Malik Harrison, and a comp pick?  I don’t think you’re dumb if you pick the first option, but I definitely disagree.

I expected the last 2 off-seasons that Beane would influence McD to begin shifting more cap dollars and picks to the offense.  Either he's tried and failed or this was not a topic during off-season reviews.  An executive, even an admin GM, should have enough sense to know paying a WLB that amount does not contribute to more W's.  And, that the defensive scheme needed the overhaul.  

Lost in this debate is that McD is designing the scheme and Beane is acquiring the players to fit that.  The GM has the latitude to get it done, but not full freedom to alter how they line up on defense or offense.  

This kind of cost benefit analysis with cap and personnel is right on.  But it's going to take a major loss for McD to change his spots and acquiesce to an offense first team that doesn't need 8M/year or 1st round LBs.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/2/2021 at 5:27 PM, ScottLaw said:

How the hell am I supposed to know that if Beane called this or that player they’d sign? 😂

Money talks. Why wouldn’t they sign if offered a contract that was equivalent to what they received?

LOL....because you criticize Beane when he doesn’t make the moves you want like he didn’t make effort to get him.  You always talk like you know for sure.

“Why wouldn’t they sign if they were offered an equivalent contract” proves that point.  
“If the Bills had offered equivalent contract, they would have signed!” Lol

17 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I expected the last 2 off-seasons that Beane would influence McD to begin shifting more cap dollars and picks to the offense.  Either he's tried and failed or this was not a topic during off-season reviews. [b] An executive, even an admin GM, should have enough sense to know paying a WLB that amount does not contribute to more W's. [/b]And, that the defensive scheme needed the overhaul.  

Lost in this debate is that McD is designing the scheme and Beane is acquiring the players to fit that.  The GM has the latitude to get it done, but not full freedom to alter how they line up on defense or offense.  

This kind of cost benefit analysis with cap and personnel is right on.  But it's going to take a major loss for McD to change his spots and acquiesce to an offense first team that doesn't need 8M/year or 1st round LBs.   

LOL

The team that just won the Super Bowl just extended their WLB to the same guaranteed money as Milano and $2 million more per year.

The Executive of the Year doesn’t have sense to evaluate a roster lol.  

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL

The team that just won the Super Bowl just extended their WLB to the same guaranteed money as Milano and $2 million more per year.

The Executive of the Year doesn’t have sense to evaluate a roster lol.  

Classic Royale surface level analysis. 

Ignores that Tampa runs a hybrid 30 front with White primarily an inside LB as opposed to Milano, who is strictly a Will behind a 40 front.  

White is 3+ years younger than Milano, somewhat more durable, and used almost completely different in Bowles' scheme.  I'd also argue he's more productive, but that's somewhat subjective.  What isn't is that White played 93% of snaps in 2020 compared to Milano's 31%, hence my durability assertion.  

Yet, it's the same because they're LBs.  Now conflate away. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Classic Royale surface level analysis. 

Ignores that Tampa runs a hybrid 30 front with White primarily an inside LB as opposed to Milano, who is strictly a Will behind a 40 front.  

White is 3+ years younger than Milano, somewhat more durable, and used almost completely different in Bowles' scheme.  I'd also argue he's more productive, but that's somewhat subjective.  What isn't is that White played 93% of snaps in 2020 compared to Milano's 31%, hence my durability assertion.  

Yet, it's the same because they're LBs.  Now conflate away. 

Hey Einstein,

I was talking about Lavonte David, he’s Tampa’s WLB and 5 years older than Milano.

Good call man.

https://www.nfl.com/news/buccaneers-lb-lavonte-david-agree-to-2-year-25m-extension

• Haha (+1) 3

On 3/11/2021 at 4:56 PM, davspo said:

Spotrac projected a 13.8 mil average. 

Okay, so he lost 2.5 - 3 million per year, assuming that number is accurate. But, think of all the trouble he avoided by staying in Buffalo. Had he relocated, he would have needed at least 30 seconds to pack his belonging into his suitcase and empty out his apartment. 🙃

Edited by Arm of Harm

33 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Why shouldn't I think the Bills, a team that just went to the AFC Championship game, sign a top end rusher if they offered him a contract he was looking for? 

Because its honestly really stupid.

Top end pass rushers will have multiple teams after him and you think the Bills have edge because of the AFCCG. 

Kyle Juszczyk publicly stated that his GF was in tears with the idea of living in Buffalo.   Do you honestly think she’s the only person in America that doesn’t want to live in Buffalo?  Micah Hyde said his agent had to talk him into coming here because he had no interest.  Not only that, Hyde made fun of those who chose not to sign here.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/08/micah-hyde-if-you-dont-want-to-be-in-buffalo-dont-come/

“They’re going on visits and I’d be like, ‘Hey man, come to Buffalo.’ They’d be like, ‘I’m cool. I’m gonna go somewhere else,'” 

I can’t believe you have this idea that any player will sign in Buffalo and the reason they didn’t is Beane’s fault.

Who knows what is happening behind the scenes.  This is the most tight nipped FO in the league.  For you to criticize him for not doing a good job because he’s not signing the players you want is lame.  Then every AFC East team free agent signing you praise.

Change your name from ScottLaw to KarenLaw.  Your name should be something that fits you.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Tampa's defense is still a 30 front.  David and White are the ILB's.  

Your point?  

Yep, you’re right.  They switched recently.

However, he was extended as a WLB by Jason Licht who is still the GM today.  So back in 2015, he didn’t have any sense.  He does now though I guess.

Boy, you’ll be criticizing the Colts when they sign Darius Leonard to his hefty deal.

10 hours ago, Billl said:

He is, but I wouldn’t consider anything he’s done so far this off-season especially noteworthy.  Swapping out Brown for Sanders is probably the biggest roster move, but I’d still consider that tinkering.  He has done a good job of re-signing players to team friendly contracts, and signing Brenda was a low key good move.  

Given his track record I would have expected Beane to have been a bit more aggressive.  I guess it wouldn’t shock me to see him move up in the draft for a pass rusher.  I think that’s the team’s biggest need by far, and I don’t see an obvious target in the late first round this year.

He brought back almost every starter for a 13-3 team that went to the AFCCG, brought back almost every player on team friendly deals, and made excellent depth additions, all while dealing with a reduced cap. The key starter that wasn't brought back was upgraded upon (Sanders). That isn't noteworthy? Literally no other team in the NFL did that.

How are we so sure that even if there was a consensus end of 1st DE that he'd even be better than Addison or dare I say year 2 Epenesa? I'm more concerned with getting a big boi 1 tech than a pass rusher, because I don't really think it's an issue. I'd even prioritize a CB 2 over a DE in the draft.

I continue to be in awe at the sheer volume of people who ***** their pants over one game. Now there are those saying TB is clearly better than KC. Because of one game. It's truly incredible. Did you guys know that Mahomes, Kelce and Hill are really good and that barely anyone has been able to stop them for 3 years? It's apparently surprising that Kelce was able to catch so many passes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Here’s how I look at it: I think the front office looked at everything that happened in 2020 and figured that they did pretty darn well for what had to be the most unusual season in league history. They were literally blowing teams out the entire last month of the season and were way ahead of schedule in gaining postseason experience with two playoff wins. I’m guessing they decided there was way more to lose than win this offseason in their quest to get to the promised land. I’m good with how they approached it and I’m anxious to see how they approach the draft.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Here’s how I look at it: I think the front office looked at everything that happened in 2020 and figured that they did pretty darn well for what had to be the most unusual season in league history. They were literally blowing teams out the entire last month of the season and were way ahead of schedule in gaining postseason experience with two playoff wins. I’m guessing they decided there was way more to lose than win this offseason in their quest to get to the promised land. I’m good with how they approached it and I’m anxious to see how they approach the draft.

I would add one thing.  Everyone knows the DL and Bills front 7 needed to play better last season.

That being said I think it's being a little overblown here lately.  It's not like they were at the bottom of the league or anything.

Beane and McDermott did their evaluation and have their plan.  Like I keep saying let's wait to see what the team is in September.