Bills sign Matt Milano to 4 yr, 44 mill deal with 24 mill gtd

2 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Do you think it may help if EVERY SINGLE ONE of our wr’s was not injured???

No because the way to attack the Chiefs defense is with RB's and TE's. See the Raiders success against them this year as well as the Super Bowl. Tampa Bay WR's were well below their averages in the super bowl while Gronk and Fournette went off.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Like this. Instead of using a high draft pick to replace Milano, we can now spend it to bolster a position of need like DE,CB or dare I say..RB!

I am surprisingly ok with a late 1st round running back pick. That's usually where cost and quality meet up.

I still want us to sink into the Offensive Line, especially at RT or Guard but I think we can do that with picks in rounds 2-3 and/or journeyman contracts

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s interesting but do you do that with Qbs too? So like the Seahawks got Russell Wilson for a 3rd round contract then paid him a ton and the Cowboys had Dak on a 4th? So total picture, it’s a great value but in present day it severely affects your cap. 

56 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

an injury plagued season can happen. plenty of players have had at least one year where they missed a bunch of games. i guess that makes them a concern too? the point is how about we look at the big picture instead of just ONE season when we form a narrative. the dude missed 4 freaking games in 3 seasons before this and now all of a sudden he has one season where he misses a chunk and its a concern..... you dont see an issue with that thinking?.... and again, 7 mil is big bucks? by the time his 11 mil a season kicks in the caps will be massive again.

again, i feel to see how theres much, if anything, to complain about with this signing. 

As someone else pointed out, he broke his fibula in 2018 but it was the last game of the year and he missed a playoff game.   But that will mostly would have been a season ender.  

dude is a baller and injuries can happen at any time.  But there is a pattern of getting injured.  He is an undersized guy.   It’s like Kiko. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97

I’m ok with bringing Milano back IF we strengthen the DL.  

My assumption is that our FO feels Edmunds/Milano can ball out if they play behind a better DL.   

I’ll be underwhelmed if the only change to our DL is the return of Star.

This is a strong OL draft, and while I doubt we rely on two rookies to start, we could conceivably draft a very good RT at 30 and G/C in the 2nd.   I say that because I’ll be shocked if we bring back Williams now. 

Edited by SCBills

Happy to see Milano signed.  Let's say Epenesa puts 10-20 lbs of muscle back on his frame.  Both Ep and Milano appear to me to be very intelligent during live action.  Ep also showed some burst at his trimmed down weight, he definitely needs to develop his game but if it happens quickly next year what does that mean for our pass rush?

Now you have Star eating up the middle, freeing Ed Oliver, Harrison Philips up to a much greater degree.  If Ep develops, with Milano you'll have two smart, quick, high-motor wily defenders that can get to the QB.  You'll also have Hughes on the other side, not smart, but still high motor and reasonably quick.  I see our pass rush becoming very effective by mid-season with scheme and varying alignments.

The big question mark is Edmunds.  I totally want the kid to succeed but haven't seen it consistently on the field despite his Pro Bowls.  All the tools with no instincts, slow to react, constantly playing catch-up and I think this affects Milano.  Milano has to cover extra space because of Edmunds which can put him in a poorer position to make tackles and expose him to more injuries.   

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was not in favor of paying Milano around $10M per year..........there are positions where they are going to need to fill on defense with players who don't make that kind of money.

Being that they spend more money than any team in the NFL on defensive lineman and have a $15M CB and two safeties making in the $8M range........an injury prone weak-side, non-pass rushing linebacker seemed like a logical place to show some fiscal austerity.   I think that was almost universally agreed upon.   He was not expected back.

Strategically, I don't understand this HC and how he allocates resources with his GM.  The push for defensive spending needs to be viewed in terms of how it affects their ability to fit pieces around Allen.  The QB is how they win games now and, especially in the playoffs against IND and KC, the defense failed them. 

They're spending almost 100M this season on defense at those positions.  And last season that still left them 14th in yards allowed, 16th in points allowed, and 15th in sacks.  The lone bright spot was being tied for 3rd in turnovers.

It's contracts like this for Milano which indicate the HC isn't going to change his stripes.  He became a HC in this league on defense and will not acclimate to what this team's identity should be...and offense supported by enough defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MrSarcasm said:

You are all over the board here. Cherry picking years with random start and stop dates for certain players. 

Fact is Thomas Davis only started 1 game his first year( why you left that out?) and played a total of 9/48 games years 5,6, and 7. (Left that out?) If you are going to 'prove a point' you shouldn't have to cherry pick.

So by your own standards using (Thomas Davis's whole career)Milano literally has to only play 9 games in the next 3 years.

I used years 2-3-4 for Davis because Milano didn't start much his rookie year either.   He was elevated above Humber......started 3 games, popped a hamstring in the fourth and that was it....his rookie season was over due to injury.    I didn't use the years AFTER because Milano hasn't played those years yet.......but yes it's possible that he will become less durable as he starts to actually accrue some snaps.  

To put his lack of action in perspective......every down LB CJ Mosley played 2100 snaps his first 2 seasons in the NFL.......Milano has played just 2400 in 4 seasons........he is very low mileage and yet he already has a track record for injury.  

I like Milano........*maybe* he gets smarter about how to protect himself without losing his effectiveness..........but I'd say that's less likely than him continuing to miss a lot of snaps to injury. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

To put his lack of action in perspective......every down LB CJ Mosley played 2100 snaps his first 2 seasons in the NFL.......Milano has played just 2400 in 4 seasons........he is very low mileage and yet he already has a track record for injury.  

This is also random and cherry picked? You already acknowledged that Milano didn’t start right away as a rookie and came on late in the season... doesn’t that have an impact on the snaps he played? Especially comparing it day 1 starter CJ Mosley’s snaps played in his first two seasons...

Your use of numbers is disingenuous.

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

He’s been available to play 54 of 64 games plus 5 playoff games.  So in the regular season 13.5 games on avg.  He didn’t always start in the beginning of his career.  He played himself into the starting role.

He had a tough year in 2020, but that doesn’t mean he’s only available in an avg. of say 9-10 games for four years.  $11 mil. On avg. was a nice price tag, and I started giving up hope Beane could sign him.

This was an excellent day for the signing.  He has months to rest up a and contribute in 21.

He missed the first McDermott playoff game with a hamstring injury........so he was available for 4 of 5.

The flip side of just saying how many games he was available to play is that he suffered a broken leg in 2018 that would have caused him to miss an entire season if it happened on opening day.  He suffered a torn pec that is generally an 8 week injury and often just a season ending trip to IR as well.   As a result he played just 31% of the regular season defensive snaps in 2020(equivalent of just over 5 games for an every down LB).

Edited by BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Sure... but I think the point made by some in this thread is an edge rusher is a bigger need than keeping Milano. This move may prohibit them from acquiring that guy. But again, maybe they can do both. 

And if they let Milano go they will have increased the teams needs, and the work needed to replace yet another position, folk need to realize Beane knows how to do more than one thing at a time, it’s not like these acquisitions are happening in a vacuum...

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

He missed the first McDermott playoff game with a hamstring injury........so he was available for 4 of 5.

The flip side of just saying how many games he was available to play is that he suffered a broken leg in 2018 that would have caused him to miss an entire season if it happened on opening day.  He suffered a torn pec that is generally an 8 week injury and often just a season ending trip to IR as well.   As a result he played just 31% of the regular season the defensive snaps in 2020(equivalent of just over 5 games for an every down LB).

And Badolz, does the broken leg mean he’s injury prone?  Even a torn pec is not like tons of soft tissue injuries of bad knees, ankles, etc.

Hey everyone’s entitled to their opinion.  I disagree with you.  Players get hurt.  Watt just received $15.5 mil., Gronk was paid at top level and had multiple back, forearm injuries.  I’ve torn a pec.  If you’re stretching rigorously, using yoga etc., to keep yourself from unnecessary injuries, it doesn’t mean you still can’t get hurt.  Eric Wood missed 24 games in his 9 year history.  One was a broken leg.

Bottom line for me if he’s in the future injured, he won’t realize those dollars, as part of his contract.  You don’t like him, ok.  No worries.  I don’t see this as a problem.  I respect you’re opinion, just don’t agree it’s a big issue.  Hey, I could easily be very wrong in two years.  We’ll know then and they certainly can get out of the contract in two years.  Have a good one bud.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Good points, but there is also the issue of him becoming even more instinctive over time because he understands the bills D, which is relatively complex. I think we tend to overlook how guys like poyer and hyde hardly ever seem to make mental mistakes. That comes with time and innate football smarts, and i think milano has that attribute. This is all to say he may get even better.

One of the big excuses made for the Bills defenders by film heads like those at Cover 1...........regarding LB play in particular.........is that they have become very predictable in the back 7.

If Milano were playing in a multiple defense........whether it be a Belichick scheme or even a Wade Phillips type..........then I would say that there is much to gain from maintaining that experience so that they can use very different game plans from week to week based on the opponent.

In this defense.........it's reasonable to question if the bang for the buck is there with just running back the same players in the same coverages that they've put on tape for the past 70 games.

It was pretty clear that the Chiefs had totally dissected the Bills defense on film before they met in that AFCCG.    It was as if they barely put the tape on for Cleveland.   They knew who they were going to be facing.   The fact that they could be pantsed so badly in their SECOND meeting of the year.......with all the money and draft picks they have invested in that defense......said a lot.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

And Badolz, does the broken leg mean he’s injury prone?  Even a torn pec is not like tons of soft tissue injuries of bad knees, ankles, etc.

Hey everyone’s entitled to their opinion.  I disagree with you.  Players get hurt.  Watt just received $15.5 mil., Gronk was paid at top level and had multiple back, forearm injuries.  I’ve torn a pec.  If you’re stretching rigorously, using yoga etc., to keep yourself from unnecessary injuries, it doesn’t mean you still can’t get hurt.  Eric Wood missed 24 games in his 9 year history.  One was a broken leg.

Bottom line for me if he’s in the future injured, he won’t realize those dollars, as part of his contract.  You don’t like him, ok.  No worries.  I don’t see this as a problem.  I respect you’re opinion, just don’t agree it’s a big issue.  Hey, I could easily be very wrong in two years.  We’ll know then and they certainly can get out of the contract in two years.  Have a good one bud.

Gronk and Watt are HOF'ers who have put up unbelievable numbers and incredible plays around those injuries.

This is sorta' like the guy in this thread saying "the average player misses 2 games every year" for comparison and not noting that the average player makes $3M per year(not $11M) and that the median salary in the league is less than $1M.  

Like I said.........I expect this to end up being a 2 year $28M deal when they let him go after the 2022 season.    Which isn't as bad as the situation they have with Star Lotuelei but it's a lot like the situation they are in with Mario Addison........who they probably need to cut and will have cost them $14M for one season.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea on the market $12.5-13.5m AAV was my thinking. He has left a bit of money on the table to stay in a scheme he knows and fits and that is a sensible move because Milano is not a scheme fit everywhere. He isn't even a scheme fit in every type of 4-3 base. There are about 10 teams in the league where I think he really fits what they do and I think had he gone to somewhere that doesn't suit his skillset he might have been one of those big FA disappointments who is cut after 2 seasons. 

Be honest, GB..........a few days ago you were quite pleased to be mock-replacing Milano's roster spot with West Virginia OLB Tony Fields in round 5.:flirt:

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Be honest, GB..........a few days ago you were quite pleased to be mock-replacing Milano's roster spot with West Virginia OLB Tony Fields in round 5.:flirt:

I was. If Milano walked we needed a player to replace him, McDemott's scheme needs coverage linebackers. I am surprised they have kept him. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

But what is a more valuable need? 

A dominant edge rusher who can disrupt the LOS and QB and essentially blow up a game.... or a good OLB? 

The answer is easy for me.... Let's see if Beane can do both. 

A lot easier to find that off-ball LB.

Milano was a 5th rounder and there are some guys in this draft who people think can also excel fairly early in their careers at this position that are likely day 3 picks like Tony Fields and Garrett Wallow etc..

Pass rusher is a tough one..........even when you see one with the physical attributes like Trey Hendrickson.........it could be several years before they emerge.    So it makes sense to pay for one of those in free agency if you need one urgently.   

As you said, hopefully they do both.

But people downplaying a $7M cap hit...........JJ Watt has a $5M cap it.........I didn't expect ANYONE they signed this season to have a first year cap hit as high as $7M.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I was. If Milano walked we needed a player to replace him, McDemott's scheme needs coverage linebackers. I am surprised they have kept him. 

I think they've reached the stage with this defense where they need to be able to mix things up more.

They are less multiple now than they were in 2017..........they are basically a 4-2-5 only operation.........I'd personally like to see them be able to mix it up and not have to justify having an undersized WLB on the field every down would have been a chance to mix things up more.

I know people point to the points scored in games where Milano wasn't on the field..........but AJ Klein was also the DPOW twice in that span and he made more big plays than Milano so it wasn't just a given that the defense as a whole would get worse without MM and with Klein and a rookie 5th rounder type.

The question really is where are they going to cut corners..........or are they going to just start playing it like this is their window like teams with veteran QB's do.   Something will have to give, most likely. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think they've reached the stage with this defense where they need to be able to mix things up more.

They are less multiple now than they were in 2017..........they are basically a 4-2-5 only operation.........I'd personally like to see them be able to mix it up and not have to justify having an undersized WLB on the field every down would have been a chance to mix things up more.

I know people point to the points scored in games where Milano wasn't on the field..........but AJ Klein was also the DPOW twice in that span and he made more big plays than Milano so it wasn't just a given that the defense as a whole would get worse without MM and with Klein and a rookie 5th rounder type.

The question really is where are they going to cut corners..........or are they going to just start playing it like this is their window like teams with veteran QB's do.   Something will have to give, most likely. 

These are all great points, but it may be the case that after what happened in KC (and in Buffalo vs. Indy), McDermott agrees with you and figures his road to being more multiple is playing guys like Milano, who can do a lot of different things well. McDermott is not perfect, but he's a very good coach/coordinator who presumably self-scouts.