Bills sign Matt Milano to 4 yr, 44 mill deal with 24 mill gtd

GM's must have a VERY good idea that the cap is going to explode over the next 3 years...some have said it could approach or possibly even exceed $300 million in 5 years...

Someone speculated on this with Jerry Jones having no issue signing Prescott to that huge contract because in a few years that will be a bargain for QBs based on the cap going up so much.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If you want to make a point just spit it out, captain suspense.:rolleyes:  

The numbers spell it out.   In Thomas Davis' years 2,3 and 4 he averaged nearly 95% of Carolina's defensive snaps.  Milano obviously nowhere near that.  In 6 of his 8 seasons Luke Kuechly played over 900 snaps.   Milano hasn't done that once in 4.   He literally played the equivalent of 5 regular season games worth of snaps in 2020.   Availability is an issue with Milano.  Fact.

Seems like they were fully ready to let him walk and then he surprised them and offered to stay at a bit of a discount, and they figured they’d end up spending $3.5-$6M this year to replace him so why not spend a couple more million to get a known quantity (his cap hit for this year is under $10m I believe).  Not an irrational process.  

The takeaway remains that they need to really start hitting more efficiently on their (post-2017) draft picks to fill other holes.  They can’t afford any more Cody Fords or even Singletaries.

8 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

That is one way to view it. I am really admitting that Beane knows more about it than I do. Brandon has information I do not. He also knows other moves he is making with the roster. I also know somethings about football but I am willing to admit I don’t spend nearly the time or have the resources a NFL GM does. That is why I trust Beane. He has shown he can put together a good team.

well , we sound similar in thinking my friend :)

Still delighted about this Milano thing  !

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If you want to make a point just spit it out, captain suspense.:rolleyes:  

The numbers spell it out.   In Thomas Davis' years 2,3 and 4 he averaged nearly 95% of Carolina's defensive snaps.  Milano obviously nowhere near that.  In 6 of his 8 seasons Luke Kuechly played over 900 snaps.   Milano hasn't done that once in 4.   He literally played the equivalent of 5 regular season games worth of snaps in 2020.   Availability is an issue with Milano.  Fact.

You are all over the board here. Cherry picking years with random start and stop dates for certain players. 

Fact is Thomas Davis only started 1 game his first year( why you left that out?) and played a total of 9/48 games years 5,6, and 7. (Left that out?) If you are going to 'prove a point' you shouldn't have to cherry pick.

So by your own standards using (Thomas Davis's whole career)Milano literally has to only play 9 games in the next 3 years.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

He’s been available to play 54 of 64 games plus 5 playoff games.  So in the regular season 13.5 games on avg.  He didn’t always start in the beginning of his career.  He played himself into the starting role.

He had a tough year in 2020, but that doesn’t mean he’s only available in an avg. of say 9-10 games for four years.  $11 mil. On avg. was a nice price tag, and I started giving up hope Beane could sign him.

This was an excellent day for the signing.  He has months to rest up a and contribute in 21.

Thank you. This injury “concern” stuff is BS. The dude had a banged up season. Before this he had missed merely a handful of game’s in 3 seasons. 

I have no idea why some posters need to make things up to act like this isn’t a good deal. People will do absolutely anything they can to be a contrarian these days. Anything to feel like they know something the masses don’t. 

acting like the dude is a lock to miss 4 or 5 games a year is just foolish. 

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, davspo said:

Spotrac projected a 13.8 mil average. 

I did not see this posted above, but I didn't read all 26 pages in fairness.  This is  breakdown by Matt Warren prior to the signing based on recent comparable LB deals. 13+ million was expected .. so we did get a nice discount.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/2/2/22260683/contract-projection-for-buffalo-bills-linebacker-matt-milano-2021

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Jerboski said:

Agreed... don’t get me wrong Milano is a good player and has value but in this cap year I’m doing everything I can to keep Williams (within reason) and get a proven edge rusher 

linebacker is a luxury not a necessity and I think can be replaced in the draft much easier than a great RT or proven pass rusher 

His cap hit is 7M.  That's pretty cheap. 

26 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Thank you. This injury “concern” stuff is BS. The dude had a banged up season. Before this he had missed merely a handful of game’s in 3 seasons. 

I have no idea why some posters need to make things up to act like this isn’t a good deal. People will do absolutely anything they can to be a contrarian these days. Anything to feel like they know something the masses don’t. 

Thanks Nasty.  Another tidbit Sal who analyzed as much as he could the contract, and made a significant pt. In the 6am hour for those that want to hear it on demand on radio.com.  His statement was he only earns that $44 mil. If he plays.  He has incentives to get to 44 by playing.  He did get a substantial of guaranteed which is not touchable.  So for the great Carnak guys who are predicting more injury proned years, he won’t get those $.

For you youngins and I was only a preteen at the end of this guys run, here is the Great and Mystical Carnak. (Not for you OldManFan, Shaw, Chand, and so on).

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

It’s the usual suspects of course, these few some how have convinced themselves they know more about the entirety of what is going on with the Bills and the rest of the NFL than our GM does...,  life on the forums, it’s always entertaining, 😁👍

14 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Very conflicted on this. Dude is an absolute baller and this is our super bowl window.  But at the same time, he struggles to stay healthy, OLB is one of the “easier” positions to replace, and it will cost us someone at a position I think is more important (OT, pass rusher, or Te).

can’t be mad keeping a good player and good for Matt. He is a legit playmaker. But if he left and they drafted someone like Zaven Collins and used the money elsewhere, could that be have been better? 😬

it will be interesting to see what they do next.

Good points, but there is also the issue of him becoming even more instinctive over time because he understands the bills D, which is relatively complex. I think we tend to overlook how guys like poyer and hyde hardly ever seem to make mental mistakes. That comes with time and innate football smarts, and i think milano has that attribute. This is all to say he may get even better.

• Like (+1) 4

28 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It’s the usual suspects of course, these few some how have convinced themselves they know more about the entirety of what is going on with the Bills and the rest of the NFL than our GM does...,  life on the forums, it’s always entertaining, 😁👍

This post doesn’t make sense to me. McBeane have done an amazing job. But you couldn’t question trading up Zay Jones? Or trading for Kelvin Benjamin? Or signing Trent Murphy? Or repeatedly trying to make Peterman a thing? 

you know it’s ok to love a team and question a few decisions. And I don’t think I’ve seen one post not saying Matt isn’t a good player. But he does have some health concerns (tough dude but he is undersized) and even with the “discount”, it’s a lot of money that some think could have been used for something else that might be a bigger need. 

what’s up with our society that everyone just wants to live in echo chamber of the same thoughts? 

• Like (+1) 3

Jumping in here really late but this is yet another example of why I always leave the GM work ...to the actual GM!! All of this contract and cap stuff is way more complicated than anyone on this message board will ever know. That doesn’t mean the Milano deal is a good or bad one but it does mean that Beane isn’t making these moves one at a time or in a vacuum. He’s got a ton of moving pieces he’s got to take care of. I’m going to let him do his job and see how the ENTIRE puzzle fits together following both free agency and the draft. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Good points, but there is also the issue of him becoming even more instinctive over time because he understands the bills D, which is relatively complex. I think we tend to overlook how guys like poyer and hyde hardly ever seem to make mental mistakes. That comes with time and innate football smarts, and i think milano has that attribute. This is all to say he may get even better.

Totally agree and I hope it is clear I love the player. Baller. I just think their certain positions you lock up no matter what - qb (though they murder your cap), elite pass rusher, lockdown corner, OT, MLB. I think an elite receiver has also entered that territory too and safety might as well. So when you are going to face salary cap issues, you have to make some tough decisions. 

so even if I love Milano, in a perfect world, I’d rather have a stud pass rusher and/ OT and try to replace Milano in the draft. But we locked up a top 10 OLB so it’s hardly a bad thing if that makes sense.

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Jumping in here really late but this is yet another example of why I always leave the GM work ...to the actual GM!! All of this contract and cap stuff is way more complicated than anyone on this message board will ever know. That doesn’t mean the Milano deal is a good or bad one but it does mean that Beane isn’t making these moves one at a time or in a vacuum. He’s got a ton of moving pieces he’s got to take care of. I’m going to let him do his job and see how the ENTIRE puzzle fits together following both free agency and the draft. 

So you never complain about the president?