Bills sign Matt Milano to 4 yr, 44 mill deal with 24 mill gtd

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

They’re using fancy math and formulas to make their predictions... not all that different than NFL teams do (albeit with their own individual tweaks) folks around here better get used to them fancy models and mathematics... 

No, we will burn the witches!

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s a good player for sure, but I tend to agree with this. Need to get better in the front four in getting to the QB. I felt Klein and a draft pick could fill in admirably while using the limited cap space on a stud end would be more beneficial.... maybe they can do both. 

I was not in favor of paying Milano around $10M per year..........there are positions where they are going to need to fill on defense with players who don't make that kind of money.

Being that they spend more money than any team in the NFL on defensive lineman and have a $15M CB and two safeties making in the $8M range........an injury prone weak-side, non-pass rushing linebacker seemed like a logical place to show some fiscal austerity.   I think that was almost universally agreed upon.   He was not expected back.

This also means that they aren't as likely to get a chance to see if they can upgrade MLB between now and Edmunds $15M option year in 2022.......though it is still likely that Milano will miss a lot of games and that may lead to more of Klein on the field and more flipping of responsibilities which could maybe put Edmunds in a better position to make plays and eventually be moved to WLB.

I think, as reported, they were just surprised that Milano was willing to take less than they thought and they made a dubious decision and spent money they should have slotted for the offense or at least for pass rush help.    

Nowhere near Beane's worst UFA move but a lot of dead money walking, IMO.   It will probably end up being like a 2 year $28M deal by the time Milano's lack of availability becomes intolerable.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nowhere near Beane's worst UFA move but a lot of dead money walking, IMO.   It will probably end up being like a 2 year $28M deal by the time Milano's lack of availability becomes intolerable.

Can you point out his lack of availability beyond this season? You referenced it twice...  what other long significant stretches did he miss in past seasons? 

Asking for an uneducated friend... 

I also want to ask you... how many games is the average NFL player expected to play? I know the answer but I’d like to see if you do.. because injury prone means that player misses MORE games than the average player... so just curious... how many games is the average NFL player expected to play per season? 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was not in favor of paying Milano around $10M per year..........there are positions where they are going to need to fill on defense with players who don't make that kind of money.

Being that they spend more money than any team in the NFL on defensive lineman and have a $15M CB and two safeties making in the $8M range........an injury prone weak-side, non-pass rushing linebacker seemed like a logical place to show some fiscal austerity.   I think that was almost universally agreed upon.   He was not expected back.

This also means that they aren't as likely to get a chance to see if they can upgrade MLB between now and Edmunds $15M option year in 2022.......though it is still likely that Milano will miss a lot of games and that may lead to more of Klein on the field and more flipping of responsibilities which could maybe put Edmunds in a better position to make plays and eventually be moved to WLB.

I think, as reported, they were just surprised that Milano was willing to take less than they thought and they made a dubious decision and spent money they should have slotted for the offense or at least for pass rush help.    

Beane makes all these terrible moves but somehow the team went 15-4 last season...

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Signing still gets us NO WHERE close to beating the chiefs 

You are aware the chiefs just lost both Starting tackles and their center is also as good as gone right?..Thats 3 starters on their oline!..ummm i like our chances

Edited by Billever76
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Can you point out his lack of availability beyond this season? You referenced it twice...  what other long significant stretches did he miss in past seasons? 

Asking for an uneducated friend... 

It started soon after he was elevated to the starting position in December of 2017...........he pulled a hamstring in the Miami game and missed the wildcard game in Jacksonville........unfortunately they lost that game so he didn't get to miss the other games he would have had he sustained THAT soft tissue injury in-season.

In the past 3 years he's missed 10 full games........he sustained an injury and missed time in 3 others............and was on a snap count with his shoulder in a sling in others. 

He played only 31% of the Bills defensive snaps this year.

He's a safe bet to miss 6-8 games and large parts of others over the next two seasons.

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

Still remember Al Michael’s comments during the opener that year where he was yucking it up about how Gillislee got away from the Bills. Don’t get me wrong, I was bummed to lose Touchdown Mike, but the dig at the Bills was a little extra. As long as Milano stays healthy, that trade will be considered pretty damn good for the Bills. 

Gillislee was an absolute disaster for them. We practically stole a 5th round pick from them. And if you remember, Gillislee was just a street free agent that we picked up for nothing in the middle of the previous season. So that situation was a big win for the Bills.

I mean, the Pats still went on to win the division and everything, but hey, you gotta take what you can take.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It started soon after he was elevated to the starting position in December of 2017...........he pulled a hamstring in the Miami game and missed the wildcard game in Jacksonville........unfortunately they lost that game so he didn't get to miss the other games he would have had he sustained THAT soft tissue injury in-season.

In the past 3 years he's missed 10 full games........he sustained an injury and missed time in 3 others............and was on a snap count with his shoulder in a sling in others. 

He's a safe bet to miss 6-8 games and large parts of others over the next two seasons.

I also want to ask you... how many games is the average NFL player expected to play? I know the answer but I’d like to see if you do.. because injury prone means that player misses MORE games than the average player... so just curious... how many games is the average NFL player expected to play per season? 

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Would you take that bet? Injuries can be pretty random.

16 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I also want to ask you... how many games is the average NFL player expected to play? I know the answer but I’d like to see if you do.. because injury prone means that player misses MORE games than the average player... so just curious... how many games is the average NFL player expected to play per season? 

If you want to make a point just spit it out, captain suspense.:rolleyes:  

The numbers spell it out.   In Thomas Davis' years 2,3 and 4 he averaged nearly 95% of Carolina's defensive snaps.  Milano obviously nowhere near that.  In 6 of his 8 seasons Luke Kuechly played over 900 snaps.   Milano hasn't done that once in 4.   He literally played the equivalent of 5 regular season games worth of snaps in 2020.   Availability is an issue with Milano.  Fact.

• Vomit 2

45 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

You are aware the chiefs just lost both Starting tackles and their center is also as good as gone right?..Thats 3 starters on their oline!..ummm i like our chances

Still have to score on that defense that smacked us around. 

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The numbers spell it out.   In Thomas Davis' years 2,3 and 4 he averaged nearly 95% of Carolina's defensive snaps.  Milano obviously nowhere near that.  In 6 of his 8 seasons Luke Kuechly played over 900 snaps.   Milano hasn't done that once in 4.   He literally played the equivalent of 5 regular season games worth of snaps in 2020.   Availability is an issue with Milano.  Fact.

How can you claim he’s injury prone without defining what injury prone is? 

It’s 14 games... which is what Milano has averaged in his 4 years. He no more or less injury prone than any other player in the NFL. Players get hurt in the NFL and miss games... that’s just part of it. 

I didn’t ask you about 2020... which was a historic year for injuries across the NFL.. I asked you about the seasons prior to 2020.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Availability and his ability to stay on the field is a huge concern. I cannot pretend it isn't. I'm hoping he can stay healthy and play most of the season(s). With that said, I like the risk and the signing. Milano is elite when he's on the field. He makes everyone much better, makes big plays, and is a leader out there. I believe he gives the Bills the best chance to make another super bowl run. To boot, I think we signed him for a little home town discount. 

12 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Still have to score on that defense that smacked us around. 

Also, other teams will be in the mix like the Browns, Ravens, Titans, Dolphins, and Indy. Bills will not have an easy path to the super bowl. I've never been so excited about an upcoming season. 

• Like (+1) 1

He’s been available to play 54 of 64 games plus 5 playoff games.  So in the regular season 13.5 games on avg.  He didn’t always start in the beginning of his career.  He played himself into the starting role.

He had a tough year in 2020, but that doesn’t mean he’s only available in an avg. of say 9-10 games for four years.  $11 mil. On avg. was a nice price tag, and I started giving up hope Beane could sign him.

This was an excellent day for the signing.  He has months to rest up a and contribute in 21.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Injuries are a concern.....but our record with him on the field is also undeniable

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Signing still gets us NO WHERE close to beating the chiefs 

late response on this I know ... but I would argue that this move, in comparison to releasing your entire O Line as the Chiefs just did, does get us closer to beating them.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Injuries are a concern.....but our record with him on the field is also undeniable

And that stat Sal C had.... Matt Milano was the biggest differential of any player IN THE NFL in 2020 in terms of yards per pass play given up with him on the field vs without him. I said it was 1.7 more yards per pass play without him last night but that sounds crazy high I think I must have misremembered, it must have been 0.7 I can't access Sal's articles because the WGR site isn't available in the UK due to GDPR but it was in his series of end of season articles, he did one on the linebackers and then a separate one on Milano. If someone could dig that stat out again for me I'd much appreciate it.  

• Like (+1) 1