Bills sign Matt Milano to 4 yr, 44 mill deal with 24 mill gtd

1 minute ago, mbs said:

I mean he get 7 this year with a significant bonus  if he starts 12 games (or some corresponding number of snaps or tackles). Since he started 11? last year, that bonus is "not likely to be earned" and thus would be accounted for in the next season when they presumably have much more money. That way they can add more ramp-up to his year over year which I think is otherwise limited. (LIke you can't pay min one year 20 mill the next.)

I was on the fence about him at 11m (11-12 happy whatever they did) but this deal looks really good to me regardless of the bonus structure.

Why would they think he would not play even 12 games this season---and still sign him to a 44 million dollar 4 year deal?

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Good deal for the Bills as its less per year than both the transition (by $1.7m) and franchise (by $3.7m) tag amounts for LBs. Also less than the projected amounts he would receive on the open market. 

It also seems the Bills can get out of it after 2 years if it goes south...

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why would they think he would not play even 12 games this season---and still sign him to a 44 million dollar 4 year deal?

Both they and he expect him to play more than 12. That's why this works. If they pay him 9m + signing, that's two mill less to work with this year. If they make it contingent on something he failed to do last year, then they don't have to pay till next year. "Not likely to be earned" is some sort of nfl speak for didn't do it last year.

3 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

That's a hometown deal folks!

No way the Bills get that deal done at $11 Mil average annual unless they are a winning Franchise.

Big time props to McBeane...B-)

Winning perpetuates winning. It snowballs.  We were on the other side of it for so long, it's great to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Props to Beane and McDermott for breaking the cycle.

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Way too much and very disappointing for a an very good to average player,  

This one might belong in the Bad Take Hall of Fame.  But maybe just in the Runner Up Consolation Chamber.

The questions about Milano aren't whether he's a very good player.  The questions are whether he can stay healthy and keep on the field.

Pour yourself a glass of your favorite Process Juice and enjoy!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mbs said:

Both they and he expect him to play more than 12. That's why this works. If they pay him 9m + signing, that's two mill less to work with this year. If they make it contingent on something he failed to do last year, then they don't have to pay till next year. "Not likely to be earned" is some sort of nfl speak for didn't do it last year.

point is they wouldn't be offering all that money.......an also structuring it assuming he plays less than 75% of the games to save them  cap space. 

They are offering him that money expecting 16+ games per season.  

The signing of Milano tells me exactly this...that we are making a run at the SB!! He was a part of the first draft class that McD was a part of right before they hired Beane....Keeping and signing their own is what it is all about. How much do we gain by dropping AJ and drafting a LB as a back up? Also we are still in the running for a DE I think we need to drop or get Tyler M. and I wish Lee Smith would decide if he is going to retire or not. How much do we save if Lee Smith retires vice getting cut does anyone know?

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

point is they wouldn't be offering all that money.......an also structuring it assuming he plays less than 75% of the games to save them  cap space. 

They are assuming he will earn the bonus by playing all the games. They just want to push some of the money into next years cap. You are hung up on the language of "not likely to be earned." That is a term which refers to previous performance, it's not a judgement call. We all think he's likely to earn the bonus.

1 minute ago, wagne591 said:

The signing of Milano tells me exactly this...that we are making a run at the SB!! He was a part of the first draft class that McD was a part of right before they hired Beane....Keeping and signing their own is what it is all about. How much do we gain by dropping AJ and drafting a LB as a back up? Also we are still in the running for a DE I think we need to drop or get Tyler M. and I wish Lee Smith would decide if he is going to retire or not. How much do we save if Lee Smith retires vice getting cut does anyone know?

Lee Smith has no dead cap.  Same savings if he retires or gets cut.  $2.25M.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mbs said:

They are assuming he will earn the bonus by playing all the games. They just want to push some of the money into next years cap. You are hung up on the language of "not likely to be earned." That is a term which refers to previous performance, it's not a judgement call. We all think he's likely to earn the bonus.

there's no chance they wrote the deal this way

3 minutes ago, wagne591 said:

Smith is carrying 0 dead cap.  It doesn't matter.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

there's no chance they wrote the deal this way

Well I was looking for clarification.

According to SalC, the deal includes playing time bonuses. If the playing time exceeds 11 games, they will be billed next year.

But I'm not sure that "not likely to be earned" is based solely on previous year or on some sort of average.

Edited by mbs
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I might be coming late to the party, but from what Sal Capaccio tweeted Milano's salary is $5.3M this year, plus amortized signing bonus $7M/4.

This means cap hit of $7.05M + "likely to be earned" bonuses.  At a guess, total cap hit if all per-game and workout bonuses earned somewhere under $8M this year.

There's a gap of $5.4M between the sum of the signing bonuses and yearly salaries Capaccio lists, and the $44M value cited.  Sal mentions "roster, workout, playing time, and pro-bowl bonuses".

• Like (+1) 1