Bills sign Matt Milano to 4 yr, 44 mill deal with 24 mill gtd

Very pleasantly surprised.  I was sure he was a goner, but instead he took a very team friendly deal to stay.  Good for him, and great for the Bills.  They are clearly a better team on defense when he is in the lineup.  One less hole to fill.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DJB said:

I wonder what the dead cap hit is after those first two years. 

That 24 million guaranteed seems to me like a 2 year contract with Milano likely cut in year 3 of the deal. 

I like it because we need to have at least one decent LB on the team. 

Too many questions about Edmunds to let him walk. 

Looking at the contract numbers reported by Sal Capaccio you got $7M Signing Bonus (only $3.5 M cap hit for first 2 years)  ... Year 1 salary of $5.3m + Year 2 Salary of $7.5M so if he is getting $24M guaranteed there is some more money that must be guaranteed into the third year,  if what has been reported so far is correct...

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jerboski said:

All I’m gonna say is if this stops you from keeping a good Ol together or signing one of the elite pass rushers then beane misplayed this 

a guy like Milano is nice but not nearly as valuable or impactful as the positions mentioned above 

They arent that good.  They cant run block at all and in some cases are swiss cheese in pass blocking.

• Agree 1

Just now, FLFan said:

Clueless.  

Bills numbers against TE in 2020 including playoffs:

Targets: 178

Catches: 123

Yards: 1275

APC: 10.37

TD: 11

Don't let facts get in the way of your opinion. LOL

Looks like you are the one that's clueless. 

3 minutes ago, noacls said:

Bills numbers against TE in 2020 including playoffs:

Targets: 178

Catches: 123

Yards: 1275

APC: 10.37

TD: 11

Don't let facts get in the way of your opinion. LOL

Looks like you are the one that's clueless. 

And Milano missed 6 of those games... sift through that and get back to me...   

Would also love to see what the rest of the NFL looked like against TE including the playoffs... otherwise you’re just throwing random numbers around with zero context... 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

I am absolutely shocked by this. He probably could have gotten more on the open market. What a time to be alive. Players taking less money to stay in Buffalo?!?

I may be wrong on what players normally get guaranteed but looks to me like this must have been a very attractive offer.. anywhere right?

Don't love or hate the deal. He's a good, not great player. Probably not worth what he's getting paid and I think the money would have been better spent elsewhere in a year where we have cap issues and bigger needs . 

But I'm not going to complain about keeping a key piece of the defense, and it's one less hole to worry about. 

52 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

IF milano’s contract prevents us from getting Williams or an elite pass rusher I think it was a bad decision 

is that not crystal clear 

I agree that if Milano's contract prevents us from improving on DL or signing a high-quality RT, it's a bad deal.  But I don't think it does.

The contract was reported as 4 yr/$44M but I don't think that means we're taking an $11M cap hit this year.

What Sal Capaccio reported in salary and bonuses sums to $38.6M which means something like $5.4M are tucked around in incentives and bonuses.  Sal said $23.5M guaranteed, which would be probably this year and next year's salary, his signing bonus, and maybe a roster bonus that guarantees at a certain point tucked in there somewhere.

At a guess, his cap hit for next season will be right around $8M, which would be $5.3M salary, 1/4 of $7M bonus for $7.05M, plus maybe $.5M in per-game roster bonuses, a $.25 playing time bonus, and a $0.25M workout bonus. 

Basically, we probably re-signed Milano for the savings from cutting Quinton Jefferson ($6.4M I think) plus perhaps what Butler gave up.

We have the savings from cutting Brown ($8M I think) and from what Morse gave up to work on the OL.

I personally don't think the Bills are sold on making Williams a top-5 or top-6 RT with a long term deal if that's what he wants.  Yes, he was an excellent pass protector but he showed some gaps in the run game and occasionally got beat pretty bad in pass pro as well.  I think they like him, and want him back but not at 5 yr/$50M  or more, if that's what he can bring on the open market.

I think Addison is toast if Beane can land a better rusher in FA.  And Beane has renegotiations of White, Dawkins, and possibly Hughes and Diggs to work through still. plus Smith retiring if he wants. 

Beane isn't done yet

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree that if Milano's contract prevents us from improving on DL or signing a high-quality RT, it's a bad deal.  But I don't think it does.

The contract was reported as 4 yr/$44M but I don't think that means we're taking an $11M cap hit this year.

What Sal Capaccio reported in salary and bonuses sums to $38.6M which means something like $5.4M are tucked around in incentives and bonuses.  Sal said $23.5M guaranteed, which would be probably this year and next year's salary, his signing bonus, and maybe a roster bonus that guarantees at a certain point tucked in there somewhere.

At a guess, his cap hit for next season will be right around $8M, which would be $5.3M salary, 1/4 of $7M bonus for $7.05M, plus maybe $.5M in per-game roster bonuses, a $.25 playing time bonus, and a $0.25M workout bonus. 

Basically, we probably re-signed Milano for the savings from cutting Quinton Jefferson ($6.4M I think) plus perhaps what Butler gave up.

We have the savings from cutting Brown ($8M I think) and from what Morse gave up to work on the OL.

I personally don't think the Bills are sold on making Williams a top-5 or top-6 RT with a long term deal if that's what he wants.  Yes, he was an excellent pass protector but he showed some gaps in the run game and occasionally got beat pretty bad in pass pro as well.  I think they like him, and want him back but not at 5 yr/$50M  or more, if that's what he can bring on the open market.

I think Addison is toast if Beane can land a better rusher in FA.  And Beane has renegotiations of White, Dawkins, and possibly Hughes and Diggs to work through still. plus Smith retiring if he wants. 

Beane isn't done yet

Just bring me Lawson and I’ll be happy