John Brown wonders if Bills’ Josh Allen had any input on release

"On Thursday morning, Brown joined Solomon Wilcots and Ed McCaffrey on SiriusXM NFL Radio to discuss his release from Buffalo. When asked if the release was a surprise, Brown noted that he had a feeling that his time was coming to an end in Buffalo but added that the team did not give him any sort of heads up on their decision to release him."

“You know, honesty, we didn’t know nothing, we weren’t even given a heads up,” Brown told Wilcots. “But I’m a strong believer in God and I just had a feeling it was going to come to that time, especially when the money dropped.  And I dealt with a few injuries so I missed, like, five games so the team went 5-0 without me. [inaudible]  But you know, different situations, the way things could have been handled.”  "

"Although Brown noted that the offense and team played well without him in 2020, the wide receiver wondered out loud if Josh Allen had any say in Buffalo’s decision. (...)

“Like, I don’t know if they gave Josh Allen input on it,” said Brown.  “He should have had input.  Or, if he did have input I thought he would want me to stay.” "

"Realistically, Allen has no say on what Brandon Beane and company do this offseason. Due to the salary cap being lowered in 2021, Beane--like every other GM in the league--is going to have to make some tough decisions. Unfortunately for Brown, his salary cap and Buffalo’s play without him in 2020 made him an easy cut candidate."

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/03/john-brown-wonders-if-bills-josh-allen-had-input-on-release.html?fbclid=IwAR3bCPyz0WulU5NqUy7VZRpSD6BT4jDjCcutzGCdif1nQ2WKeI2GRlv-kDg

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
please don't quote entire article

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

"On Thursday morning, Brown joined Solomon Wilcots and Ed McCaffrey on SiriusXM NFL Radio to discuss his release from Buffalo. When asked if the release was a surprise, Brown noted that he had a feeling that his time was coming to an end in Buffalo but added that the team did not give him any sort of heads up on their decision to release him."

“You know, honesty, we didn’t know nothing, we weren’t even given a heads up,” Brown told Wilcots. “But I’m a strong believer in God and I just had a feeling it was going to come to that time, especially when the money dropped.  And I dealt with a few injuries so I missed, like, five games so the team went 5-0 without me. [inaudible]  But you know, different situations, the way things could have been handled.”  "

"Although Brown noted that the offense and team played well without him in 2020, the wide receiver wondered out loud if Josh Allen had any say in Buffalo’s decision. (...)

“Like, I don’t know if they gave Josh Allen input on it,” said Brown.  “He should have had input.  Or, if he did have input I thought he would want me to stay.” "

"Realistically, Allen has no say on what Brandon Beane and company do this offseason. Due to the salary cap being lowered in 2021, Beane--like every other GM in the league--is going to have to make some tough decisions. Unfortunately for Brown, his salary cap and Buffalo’s play without him in 2020 made him an easy cut candidate."

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/03/john-brown-wonders-if-bills-josh-allen-had-input-on-release.html?fbclid=IwAR3bCPyz0WulU5NqUy7VZRpSD6BT4jDjCcutzGCdif1nQ2WKeI2GRlv-kDg

Of course Josh would want him to stay this was a salary cap issue and he wouldn’t take pay cut and got released 

• Like (+1) 9

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

Of course Josh would want him to stay this was a salary cap issue he wouldn’t take pay cut and got released 

Reading his comments ... It appears he wasn’t asked to take a pay cut .. 

He says him and his agent” weren’t given a heads up” about being cut...

If Beane says... take a pay cut or you will be cut... that’s a pretty big heads up... 

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Of course Josh would want him to stay this was a salary cap issue and he wouldn’t take pay cut and got released 

I got a sense Bills did not even ask him about taking a cut - that is why it was a surprise to him. Guess the cap situation is such that they dont have even 4-5 mill for Brown. It is the mid-level squeeze.

I would avoid copy and pasting articles (even with a link) to make a thread.

NFL players seem to be modeling their approach to personnel and other front office decisions based on where the NBA has trended.  It's not going to end well, particularly when QBs demand to be traded or to have a say in who the HC or GM is.  Right now I cannot imagine being a Texans or Seahawks fan and learning your star QB wants out because they're unhappy with who the GM is or thinks they need more talent to compete. 

EDIT: Where does this end?  Do teams, especially those with big dollar QB's, allow high priced players input on player personnel decisions to satisfy them? Does the QB take added heat then if a player doesn't work out or when the cap is not managed poorly? 

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am curious as to why they did not reach out to him for a pay cut. Per the above, he said he was sort of blindsided. If it was a pure salary cap move, I would assume the FO would have tried to restructure. I am not sure, but some food for thought. 

The more I read about this it sounds more like Brown is bummed they didn't even give him a chance to come back at a reduced number and views that as a bit of a sleight. Could be he thinks it's a knock on him or could be he wanted to stick around, not sure, but it's clear he had convinced himself he was going to stick around for the last year of his contract. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Reading his comments ... It appears he wasn’t asked to take a pay cut .. 

He says him and his agent” weren’t given a heads up” about being cut...

If Beane says... take a pay cut or you will be cut... that’s a pretty big heads up... 

His agent must not have read the news the last month cause he was talked about as being the most likely to be cut on the team 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

NFL players seem to be modeling their approach to personnel and other front office decisions based on where the NBA has trended.  It's not going to end well, particularly when QBs demand to be traded or to have a say in who the HC or GM is.  Right now I cannot imagine being a Texans or Seahawks fan and learning your star QB wants out because they're unhappy with who the GM is or thinks they need more talent to compete. 

EDIT: Where does this end?  Do teams, especially those with big dollar QB's, allow high priced players input on player personnel decisions to satisfy them? Does the QB take added heat then if a player doesn't work out or when the cap is not managed poorly? 

I mean... It's a one sentence question from a powerless WR who just got fired from a team he wanted to be part of and who is feeling pretty raw. I wouldnt put that much weight on it that it is setting any trends or starting to snowball. It will be out of thought in another few days.

• Like (+1) 6

I like John Brown.  He's a good WR and he was a very good get for the Bills.  My guess is the Bills want to upgrade their pass rush by using the cap savings on a free agent DE and upgrade the WR position via draft with a true playmaker with speed, more size, and dynamic runner.

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

I am curious as to why they did not reach out to him for a pay cut. Per the above, he said he was sort of blindsided. If it was a pure salary cap move, I would assume the FO would have tried to restructure. I am not sure, but some food for thought. 

I dont think there was much wiggle room in his contract.  A healthy John Brown on a 9.5 million dollar contract is grossly underpaid.   Even missing the time he did, the value he brings to a team is worth at least that much when you consider what players at that position get paid.

If he was a bit younger and a bit more available he probably sticks, but those are rose colored glasses.  When you're looking at the reality of the situation, where you have an almost 32 year old wideout who cant stay on the field, its probably better for the team and the player to just cut ties and let him go to free agency.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean... It's a one sentence question from a powerless WR who just got fired from a team he wanted to be part of and who is feeling pretty raw. I wouldnt put that much weight on it that it is setting any trends or starting to snowball. It will be out of thought in another few days.

Yep, a "tempest in a teapot".

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

His agent must not have read the news the last month cause he was talked about as being the most likely to be cut on the team 

What’s that got to do with him refusing to take a pay cut like you originally said?