EDIT: All Chiefs OL leaving cause who wants to play for that garbage team anyways. Formerly: Chiefs cut both starting tackles.

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

they’ve done the math, doc.  This is clear.  They came to a different conclusion than yours.  That’s something they probably won’t announce, no....

The only "math" they've done is the cap savings they've realized by releasing Fisher and Schwartz.  True Fisher is likely to miss 2021 and his release I'll admit was a no-brainer, but he was still their best LT and a Pro Bowler in 2018 and last season.  Schwartz OTOH, barring a setback, would have been healthy and ready to play after having successful back surgery.  Remmers was able to fill-in for him admirably, but he too may be gone in FA, as may starting C Reiter, leaving them with just their starting OGs remaining/returning. 

5 hours ago, Doc said:

They scored 7 points in the 4th quarter.  And how do you figure they don't seem doubtful?  You think they're going to come out and say it?

They won't be doubtful. These cuts were no brainers. Is it their ideal situation to try and fill two tackle spots in on offseason? No I'm sure it isn't, but these moves are part of the plan to fix it.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc said:

The only "math" they've done is the cap savings they've realized by releasing Fisher and Schwartz.  True Fisher is likely to miss 2021 and his release I'll admit was a no-brainer, but he was still their best LT and a Pro Bowler in 2018 and last season.  Schwartz OTOH, barring a setback, would have been healthy and ready to play after having successful back surgery.  Remmers was able to fill-in for him admirably, but he too may be gone in FA, as may starting C Reiter, leaving them with just their starting OGs remaining/returning. 

Why do you assert that Remmers and Reiters would be gone?

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They won't be doubtful. These cuts were no brainers. Is it their ideal situation to try and fill two tackle spots in on offseason? No I'm sure it isn't, but these moves are part of the plan to fix it.

Fisher was a no-brainer because he’ll miss the season. Schwartz will play and could have been approached about a pay cut.  And it could be three tackle spots needing to be replaced as Remmers is an UFA and is likely to get a much better offer than the Chefs are willing to match, considering the RT market is thin.  

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why do you assert that Remmers and Reiters would be gone?

I said at least one, probably Remmers for the reason above. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Fisher was a no-brainer because he’ll miss the season. Schwartz will play and could have been approached about a pay cut.  And it could be three tackle spots needing to be replaced as Remmers is an UFA and is likely to get a much better offer than the Chefs are willing to match, considering the RT market is thin.  

Schwartz's back is a problem. It was a no brainer. I actually said before last season and before the injury I thought 2020 was likely his last year as a Chief. It is less than idea to have to replace both tackles but paying big money to injured, old guys would have been a worse plan. Almost nobody I have spoken to about these moves is in the slightest bit surprised.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doc said:

again,  losing Fisher and Schwartz are not surprise moves and make sense.   Remmers, a 9th year (with 7 teams) journeyman, isn't going to break the bank.

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Schwartz's back is a problem. It was a no brainer. I actually said before last season and before the injury I thought 2020 was likely his last year as a Chief. It is less than idea to have to replace both tackles but paying big money to injured, old guys would have been a worse plan. Almost nobody I have spoken to about these moves is in the slightest bit surprised.

Doing a search, I haven’t seen that Schwartz’s back problem will be an issue after getting surgery.  Sure he’s older but again, he didn’t miss a single game in his career up until this past season. And again they had him in/hand and could’ve asked him to take a pay cut because now they’re faced with the prospect of replacing three offensive tackles. Not ideal at all.  This seems like a cap move more than anything but personally I would have kept Schwartz to help protect my $40 million quarterback snd released someone else. 

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

again,  losing Fisher and Schwartz are not surprise moves and make sense.   Remmers, a 9th year (with 7 teams) journeyman, isn't going to break the bank.

It doesn’t matter if he breaks the bank. If he leaves, and as I said above, it’s three offensive tackles they have to replace.

We’ll see if their third round pick from last year who opted-out of the season and maybe the 31st overall pick in the draft will be able to protect Mahomes like they need them to.  But it’s not my concern. 

• Disagree 1

56 minutes ago, Doc said:

Doing a search, I haven’t seen that Schwartz’s back problem will be an issue after getting surgery.  Sure he’s older but again, he didn’t miss a single game in his career up until this past season. And again they had him in/hand and could’ve asked him to take a pay cut because now they’re faced with the prospect of replacing three offensive tackles. Not ideal at all.  This seems like a cap move more than anything but personally I would have kept Schwartz to help protect my $40 million quarterback snd released someone else. 

It doesn’t matter if he breaks the bank. If he leaves, and as I said above, it’s three offensive tackles they have to replace.

We’ll see if their third round pick from last year who opted-out of the season and maybe the 31st overall pick in the draft will be able to protect Mahomes like they need them to.  But it’s not my concern. 

You haven't adequately described why a guy like Remmers would be made an unmatchable offer by another team.  You simply assume he will (over and over).  It's not a logical conclusion.  They paid him under a million this past season and It's already being reported they are in discussions to re-sign him.  

Schwartz wasn't around to protect Mahomes after week 6, yet they would still win 10 more games and play in their second consecutive SB.

During your search, did you ask what the Chiefs thought about the likelihood of Schwartz being in top playing shape week 1?  Their answer might have been instructive...

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You haven't adequately described why a guy like Remmers would be made an unmatchable offer by another team.  You simply assume he will (over and over).  It's not a logical conclusion.  They paid him under a million this past season and It's already being reported they are in discussions to re-sign him.  

Schwartz wasn't around to protect Mahomes after week 6, yet they would still win 10 more games and play in their second consecutive SB.

During your search, did you ask what the Chiefs thought about the likelihood of Schwartz being in top playing shape week 1?  Their answer might have been instructive...

Its not logical to think that the Chiefs might lose Remmers? OK. If you say so.  If he hits free agency, I’ll bet he’s gone.

And yeah I read an article where GM Veach said  that both Fisher and Schwartz could be available for the season opener.  I also read that Reiter isn’t returning. 

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

Its not logical to think that the Chiefs might lose Remmers? OK. If you say so.  If he hits free agency, I’ll bet he’s gone.

And yeah I read an article where GM Veach said  that both Fisher and Schwartz could be available for the season opener.  I also read that Reiter isn’t returning. 

we all read that article a few weeks ago.  Then they cut them this week.

Again, if he’s worth keeping, why wouldn’t they pay the couple of dollars required to keep what until now has been a career backup quality O lineman?  He’ll cost almost nothing. 

48 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

we all read that article a few weeks ago.  Then they cut them this week.

Again, if he’s worth keeping, why wouldn’t they pay the couple of dollars required to keep what until now has been a career backup quality O lineman?  He’ll cost almost nothing. 

It’s a very weak offensive tackle market and he was a starter on a Super Bowl team. Someone might be willing to pay more than a “couple of dollars” for that. I guess we’ll find out shortly.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

It’s a very weak offensive tackle market and he was a starter on a Super Bowl team. Someone might be willing to pay more than a “couple of dollars” for that. I guess we’ll find out shortly.

He was a backup seeing starting time on his 7th NFL team.  This is the tail end of his career.  He'll be any team's cheapest starter not on a rookie contract.  If the Chiefs value him, them can remind of of all of this and then give him a nice little raise.  If they don't, he can see what his 8th team in 10 years offers him.

I wouldn't keep Remmers either. I have always thought he sucks. I would try and develop Niang and Durant and draft at least one at #31 and possibly another later, then hope there is a dust settles guy that makes sense.

I actually think Ty Nsekhe makes some sense there.

Edited by GunnerBill