EDIT: All Chiefs OL leaving cause who wants to play for that garbage team anyways. Formerly: Chiefs cut both starting tackles.

I’m sure they have a plan on replacing these guys.  Can’t imagine them jettisoning two starting tackles without a plan.  I don’t expect them to miss the playoffs next season because of these moves.

Now, if they are planning on replacing with internal candidates...then that would be a problem.  Super bowl showed depth problems at o-line for them.

1 minute ago, davefan66 said:

I’m sure they have a plan on replacing these guys.  Can’t imagine them jettisoning two starting tackles without a plan.  I don’t expect them to miss the playoffs next season because of these moves.

Now, if they are planning on replacing with internal candidates...then that would be a problem.  Super bowl showed depth problems at o-line for them.

Hope we draft the RT they want in round one. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, davefan66 said:

Not sure what plan they could have outside of in-house candidates.  To get OT's comparable to what they lost will take tons of cash, and drafting at 31 in each round makes it harder to get sure things.

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I wonder if KC takes a step back offensively?

Not saying they’ll be stopped but if Mahomes is running for his life all season long....maybe the offense is just good and not scary anymore.

Fisher was going into the last year of his contract and is going to miss the season! This story is being overinterpreted. As i said earlier, this combined with a big guy with a bad back = easy decision.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Fisher was going into the last year of his contract and is going to miss the season! This story is being overinterpreted. As i said earlier, this combined with a big guy with a bad back = easy decision.

Lots of interior fa linemen are available, I am sure they can do a tiny cap hit this year and pushover money forward and put together a good ol. They have a good gm and hc. I do hope they end up taking a step back, but teams can get creative and kc is that type of team who will

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Glass houses my fellow fans...

Bills did the same thing two years ago with 4 of 5 new starters on the line.

Bills will be in the similar cap situation when Allen's contract kicks in. 

KC is just in even worse shape because of the one year drop in the cap.

3 things:

1- Comparing getting rid of guys who are now out of the league with getting rid of an All-Pro tackle and a former first overall pick who is decent is just pointless. 

2- Mahomes’ new contract hasn’t kicked in yet.

3- I didn’t actually make the joke to slam the for this - the edited title is mostly a joke - but just to point out what they did. I actually think both moves make sense. Schwartz has a career threatening injury and Fischer isn’t worth the price tag. That being said, they will suffer for this- it isn’t easy replacing tackles, as we all know. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Not sure what plan they could have outside of in-house candidates.  To get OT's comparable to what they lost will take tons of cash, and drafting at 31 in each round makes it harder to get sure things.

Fisher is old, beat up, never that great and coming off a major injury.  Schwartz with a shakey back.  They went 14-2 with him only appearing in 6 games.

It's interesting so many here are saying that they the Chiefs are doomed/crazy/etc to get rid of these 2, using the SB loss as a reference.  Yet, soon after watching the snuff film that was the AFCC game, who here was saying:  "yeah but what will they ever do without Schwartz and Fisher??"...

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Both expected moved. Fisher has never been more than average, is overpaid and now is unlikely to be healthy next year anyway having ruptured his achillies in the AFCCG. Schwartz has been an outstanding RT but he is 32 and highly paid and coming off a season out hurt. 

As I said in the shoutbox they have a couple of in-house options at right tackle. Lucas Niang who they drafted out of TCU last year in the 3rd who was a covid opt out this past season and then Yasir Durant out of Missouri who I thought was draftable and went undrafted last April and the Chiefs picked up as an UDFA. He made the roster and started week 17, although I believe he played guard in that game. 

I think at LT their answer likely comes at pick #31.... lucky for them this is a very strong OT class. 

In that case, nothing would make me happier than if the Bills draft whoever it is they want at pick #30

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Glass houses my fellow fans...

Bills did the same thing two years ago with 4 of 5 new starters on the line.

Bills will be in the similar cap situation when Allen's contract kicks in. 

KC is just in even worse shape because of the one year drop in the cap.

Major difference was the Bills had virtually no O line talent to speak of two seasons ago, and then upgraded it, KC is doing the reverse of what the Bills did... 

That and I suspect Josh Allen won’t cut his nose off to spite his face, contract wise, he comes off as being more sensible, jmo. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I wonder if KC takes a step back offensively?

Not saying they’ll be stopped but if Mahomes is running for his life all season long....maybe the offense is just good and not scary anymore.

They may lose Sammy Watkins which could also contribute to less offense.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

There are a lot of names being projected around that spot like Learherwood, Eisenberg and Radunz that have some question marks in my view at the next level..:

If they were great tackle prospects they wouldn’t still

be there at 31..

We probably willl be having the same dilemma on who to pick at 30 if Williams walks...

There is no “if Williams walks” ... he is going to get $12 or more and we can’t pay that. He’s gone. 

• Shocked 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

100 people here said Milano was leaving too

I never did. Milano is a niche role that is hard to find. We already have big $ invested in LT so it stands to reason we will want a cheaper RT to balance the $ on Oline $. They are more likely to pay an established guard, draft a RT and then if the draftee isn’t good enough you have Cody as a backup plan. It’s cheaper. 

4 minutes ago, Locomark said:

I never did. Milano is a niche role that is hard to find. We already have big $ invested in LT so it stands to reason we will want a cheaper RT to balance the $ on Oline $. They are more likely to pay an established guard, draft a RT and then if the draftee isn’t good enough you have Cody as a backup plan. It’s cheaper. 

Milano decided to stay for less money then he could have got on the open market.. 

We dont know whether Williams will consider doing the same... Its probably unlikely as the clock is ticking but you are taking educated guesses like everybody else here...

Edited by Aussie Joe

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Fisher is old, beat up, never that great and coming off a major injury.  Schwartz with a shakey back.  They went 14-2 with him only appearing in 6 games.

It's interesting so many here are saying that they the Chiefs are doomed/crazy/etc to get rid of these 2, using the SB loss as a reference.  Yet, soon after watching the snuff film that was the AFCC game, who here was saying:  "yeah but what will they ever do without Schwartz and Fisher??"...

True, Fisher wasn't going to play this coming year, but the larger point is he played almost all of the season and was a Pro Bowl LT.  Schwartz though hadn't missed a game until this past season and as far as I know, isn't thinking of retiring.  And his replacement (Remmers) will likely leave in FA.  That's their top-3 OTs.

That SB was a darker snuff film (oh how I wish the Bills had faced that Chefs OL!) and the Chefs will likely be losing 2 more starters from that MASH unit: (the aforementioned) Remmers and Reiter.  Will they be able to replace them all?

Edited by Doc

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Losing 3 o-line starters is a big deal no matter how you slice it. Reiter is the underrated part of this - he didn't give up a single sack all of last season. I don't care how good the rest of the offense is, if you don't have good pass protection your ceiling is capped. Look at Luck or Watson or Wilson. The best thing Beane has done since drafting Allen is building him a pocket.

As a reminder here's what Mahomes had to do in the Super Bowl to get his passes of:

He ran 497 yards total behind the line of scrimmage before throwing the ball or taking a sack. Not every team has the Buccaneers pass rush but it's going to be difficult to sustain an elite offense with that level of pass protection.

• Haha (+1) 2