Star L. possible cut?

yall

Not sure how we got to 5 pages... as I'm sure many people have covered in this thread, Joe B said it would cost more to cut him than it would to keep him on the roster. That's all we need to know to speculate if he's on the roster next year or not.

1 hour ago, yall said:

So this is actually what I was referring to. Let's just say my friend is in real estate. 

I didn't realize this was public knowledge yet. So he and I were theorizing he knows he's going to be cut, but as I now know cutting had major cap implications, retirement may be more likely.

I was referring to Lee Smith, but I see that you're saying that Star's house is on the market.  Maybe he decided to sell now, rent for a year and then move on after the season because he knows this will be his last?  I don't know.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Doubt many of the rest can be had for vet min. That would be a significant cut for a bunch of them. And for guys at that kind of level they'd probably want to look around if offered vet min. Yeldon, for ex, is about $1.6 per year, Marlowe $1.5M, McKenzie will be looking for quite a bit more than vet min this year, and will deserve it. When given targets, he produced, he had five TDs, plus a punt RB for a TD. ESPN recently predicted 3 years and $10M, with the Bills. That might be a bit high this year, but if they offer vet min he's probably gone. And if they do let Roberts go, McKenzie becomes even more valuable to the FO.

You left out Feliciano, who I think they re-sign for somewhere in the $3 - $4M range. Spotrac and SB Nation both predicted around $7M per year in FA. He wants to give them a deal, but you're likely dreaming if you think he takes a vet min kind of deal.

Also doubt they go with Fromm in place of Barkley. Barkley ($2M a year) is a tremendous help to Josh, with a ton of veteran know-how and is also a lot more likely to handle himself better if there's an injury. Josh already knows a ton more than Fromm, who wasn't even in QB meetings last year, couldn't really throw the ball in anger last year as the COVID relief QB. If Barkley goes, they'll bring someone else in to replace him.

And yeah, someone like Daryl Williams could easily go but if so, they'll almost surely bring in someone to replace him, and not a vet min guy either.

With the cap being tight this year for many teams, I can see them being re-signed for the minimum.  And yes I forgot Feliciano and $3-4M is the highest I'd go.

I'll stick with my belief that Fromm will be the only QB on the roster backing-up Josh.  Again the cap is tight.

They need to re-sign Williams.

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Everything I've read says it would be a negative cap hit.  They'd owe more money than they'd save.

Unless Star has a agreed to give a big chunk of the bonus money back, but that very rarely ever happens.  Likely if he tried the union would be all over him for setting a bad president.

I sooooo want to make a comment about this on the main board, but rules are rules. :lol:

5 hours ago, yall said:

Good friend of mine with pretty accurate sources tells me he has reason to believe Star Lotulelei is gonna get cut. Based on what he shared with me, seems very possible.

From a cap perspective, does it make sense? I didn't get the feeling he was a likely candidate for release.

Your friend is not an accurate source. He may have guessed right on a few things...

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

There is value in this thread.  It's more then just a baseless rumor.  This thread evolved into an interesting discussion about Star's contract and the impact, positive or negative, on the Bills' cap if he were cut.

OP never said it would happen, clearly stated it was a rumor, and then followed up by asking a legitimate question.  I swear, sometimes people get worked up over the smallest things.

Mark my words— I will never, ever bend the knee to the Red King no matter how much sense he makes.  

Freeeeeedom! 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Your friend is not an accurate source. He may have guessed right on a few things...

I mean if he sees the dudes house for sale it’s not unreasonable to speculate. 

Every single user on this MB would’ve made the thread if they saw/found out a players house was for sale. 

9 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I mean if he sees the dudes house for sale it’s not unreasonable to speculate. 

Every single user on this MB would’ve made the thread if they saw/found out a players house was for sale. 

I could have been more clear that our speculation was based on fact, but I thought I was operating on on private info.

Had I known it was public the title would have been the usual "so-and-so is selling their house" that we see here from time to time.

4 minutes ago, yall said:

I could have been more clear that our speculation was based on fact, but I thought I was operating on on private info.

Had I known it was public the title would have been the usual "so-and-so is selling their house" that we see here from time to time.

I get it, my little bro is in real estate, I wouldn’t want to disclose any info to the public that could even slightly land him in hot water

22 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If he wants to retire, I wonder if they have him wait and just ‘opt out’ again to save the cap hit until next year

There has been no indications that they will allow opt outs again this year.

That was a one time agreed to thing and I do not believe the NFL/NFLPA have discussed it.

36 minutes ago, yall said:

I guess I'd just like to point out that selling a house doesn't have to mean anything about whether or not the player won't be on the team next year.

-He's married with kids, he and his wife could have decided they will live somewhere else for school during the season and he will live in Buffalo in a smaller place

-He could be planning to live in Buffalo, but want a different house in a different location, either for different facilities or for location (schools etc)

Or, he could be planning to retire.  I thought the following quotes from an old article were kind of telling:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/star-lotulelei-a-hard-worker-a-family-man-and-a-joker-no-really/article_2068c3cb-b614-5a07-be8e-2a41c663a6f9.html

Lotulelei doesn't love football. He loves his family, and he credits his wife and children with his newfound maturity and work ethic.

It's clear his motivation to succeed is also fueled by his teammates.

"It's your livelihood," Lotulelei said. "For me, it's what I do for a living. It's how I provide for my wife and my kids. And I have other people here that are counting on me to help feed their families, as well. So, it's not only for myself, but for my teammates, as well."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, yall said:

So what you are saying is that Star’s home is for sale?

I have read through the thread and it seems you are the only one with that info.  The other mention of a home for sale was referencing Lee Smith who put his home up and has talked about retirement in interviews.

Now after several pages and a very poorly written initial post - you are saying that you believe that Star is getting cut because his house might be for sale?

Maybe you need to gather some thoughts and present them in an organized manner to ensure they make sense.

7 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

There has been no indications that they will allow opt outs again this year.

That was a one time agreed to thing and I do not believe the NFL/NFLPA have discussed it.

I can't find it now, but I saw something at one point from one of the insiders - Schefter or Rappaport - indicating that opt-outs would be allowed again this season, but that how it would work was being negotiated and it would be more of a negotiation between the team and the player as to how their contract would be handled vs. last season where it was cut-n-dried, "I'm opting out", here's your $150,000, your contract gets suspended for a year and picks up where it would have next season.

I can't say whether or not they've discussed it yet.

Preposterous idea OP!  Let's eat up 7% of our cap space on a 1T DT by cutting him and absorbing a $12.6mm hit.  And then add in another $5mm to find a replacement veteran placeholder.  

Your source is dazed and confused.  Or at least lacking in logic.

Edited by freddyjj

39 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yup....it's really starting to look that way. Whatever happens we better start looking for another 1Tech. I don't think Star is long for this team. 

After a year off as an older vet in the league, I am sure it very tempting to say yup I'm done....

If I could retire early I sure as hell would lol

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can't find it now, but I saw something at one point from one of the insiders - Schefter or Rappaport - indicating that opt-outs would be allowed again this season, but that how it would work was being negotiated and it would be more of a negotiation between the team and the player as to how their contract would be handled vs. last season where it was cut-n-dried, "I'm opting out", here's your $150,000, your contract gets suspended for a year and picks up where it would have next season.

I can't say whether or not they've discussed it yet.

They were talking on moving the chains today on Sirius that as of right now there is no opt out.  It would need to be agreed to and the league was more worried about salary cap first.

Now that that is done they are working on FA and the draft.  It may get discussed as they finalize those aspects, but it is not guaranteed especially as the vaccine becomes more available.