Star L. possible cut?

yall

2 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Heres how I see it; 

Cutting Star screws us.

If Star retires he screws us.

Star could out out again, which postpones screwing us, but postponing this year could be a good thing. 

Then there is the only wildcard option, that requires Star to play ball; show up to camp, get injured and put on IR, and reach injury settlement. I dont know all the details of that scenario, but i heard it was the cleanest route.

Then there is the notion Star shows up in great shape, fired up,  and ready to play. Doubt it, but given the above, maybe the most desirable.

RRB, you might be right.  For me,  star opting out before the players knew how far the league was going to protect them was one of the fairest decisions.  He has a congenital heart condition and was safe.  I don’t blame him at all and no reason to think he was getting out of shape.  I’m not saying you were bud.  Let’s just hope he is in shape, taken care of his condition, and is a great contributor for us this year.  We need him.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I figured $5.5M for the draft class.  That could be high.

I think it might be a little bit, his hit was 2.5m last year. Spotrac shows 2 mil for this year 

Pats chose uche last year at 60, his hit was 1.2 m.  Spotrac shows 1 mil this year

Texans chose Greenard last year at 90 he was 1m. Spotrac is showing 865k, not sure that is a figure that hits the top 51. 

I am not sure if the rookie contracts adjusted down a bit due to last season or not. I am thinking around 3.8m to 4.32m for our hit for rooks...

SmartSelect_20210311-104038_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Star this year.  Sometimes a year off can really help- especially for big guys.  Should have fresh legs.  I know Incognito said it really helped him.

For the record I'm hoping he's still here as well.

I probably should have said "might not be here" instead of "might get cut" also. Similar outcome but vastly different implications.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, yall said:

Good friend of mine with pretty accurate sources tells me he has reason to believe Star Lotulelei is gonna get cut. Based on what he shared with me, seems very possible.

From a cap perspective, does it make sense? I didn't get the feeling he was a likely candidate for release.

To much of a cap hit your friend isn’t a capologist 

3 hours ago, yall said:

Good friend of mine with pretty accurate sources tells me he has reason to believe Star Lotulelei is gonna get cut. Based on what he shared with me, seems very possible.

From a cap perspective, does it make sense? I didn't get the feeling he was a likely candidate for release.

Does your friend live under a bridge?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, yall said:

Your friend is an idiot

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Anyone know anything about this rumor that he’s lost a ton of weight?

Or............ did he balloon to 450#.  I'm sure during his time off he must have had to check in with the training staff to see his condition.  Be it in person or remotely

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

I believe he actually said he was going to retire.

So this is actually what I was referring to. Let's just say my friend is in real estate. 

I didn't realize this was public knowledge yet. So he and I were theorizing he knows he's going to be cut, but as I now know cutting had major cap implications, retirement may be more likely.

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Everything I've read says it would be a negative cap hit.  They'd owe more money than they'd save.

Unless Star has a agreed to give a big chunk of the bonus money back, but that very rarely ever happens.  Likely if he tried the union would be all over him for setting a bad president.

Precedent*

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Yup.  After the rookies, I expect them to have $16M in cap space, barring a reduction in Addison's salary, or an outright release and any existing restructures (Tre, Dion, etc.).  They'll need about $6M to tag Wallace and Boettger (not sure what they'll do with Bojo because tagging him costs them $2.133M at least).  I don't see them replacing Barkley or Roberts and instead rolling with Fromm and an existing player for returns.  The rest can be league min re-signs outside of Milano (who likely walks) and Williams (no idea what happens there).

Doubt many of the rest can be had for vet min. That would be a significant cut for a bunch of them. And for guys at that kind of level they'd probably want to look around if offered vet min. Yeldon, for ex, is about $1.6 per year, Marlowe $1.5M, McKenzie will be looking for quite a bit more than vet min this year, and will deserve it. When given targets, he produced, he had five TDs, plus a punt RB for a TD. ESPN recently predicted 3 years and $10M, with the Bills. That might be a bit high this year, but if they offer vet min he's probably gone. And if they do let Roberts go, McKenzie becomes even more valuable to the FO.

You left out Feliciano, who I think they re-sign for somewhere in the $3 - $4M range. Spotrac and SB Nation both predicted around $7M per year in FA. He wants to give them a deal, but you're likely dreaming if you think he takes a vet min kind of deal.

Also doubt they go with Fromm in place of Barkley. Barkley ($2M a year) is a tremendous help to Josh, with a ton of veteran know-how and is also a lot more likely to handle himself better if there's an injury. Josh already knows a ton more than Fromm, who wasn't even in QB meetings last year, couldn't really throw the ball in anger last year as the COVID relief QB. If Barkley goes, they'll bring someone else in to replace him.

And yeah, someone like Daryl Williams could easily go but if so, they'll almost surely bring in someone to replace him, and not a vet min guy either.

1 hour ago, yall said:

Oh, I see. You've got a reading comprehension problem. That explains it.

Go back and read, and see if you can figure out where you got it wrong. I expect more from a Franny grad. 

Nonsense. 

Refusal to accept completely unsupported on-the-internet sources doesn't mean a reading comp problem. Speaks well to general comprehension of the world, IMO.

I understand what you're saying about not wanting to out your source. It's not unreasonable. But that's also what people who have no source say.

Edited by Thurman#1

19 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Doubt many of the rest can be had for vet min. That would be a significant cut for a bunch of them. And for guys at that kind of level they'd probably want to look around if offered vet min. Yeldon, for ex, is about $1.6 per year, Marlowe $1.5M, McKenzie will be looking for quite a bit more than vet min this year, and will deserve it. When given targets, he produced, he had five TDs, plus a punt RB for a TD. ESPN recently predicted 3 years and $10M, with the Bills. That might be a bit high this year, but if they offer vet min he's probably gone. And if they do let Roberts go, McKenzie becomes even more valuable to the FO.

You left out Feliciano, who I think they re-sign for somewhere in the $3 - $4M range. Spotrac and SB Nation both predicted around $7M per year in FA. He wants to give them a deal, but you're likely dreaming if you think he takes a vet min kind of deal.

Also doubt they go with Fromm in place of Barkley. Barkley ($2M a year) is a tremendous help to Josh, with a ton of veteran know-how and is also a lot more likely to handle himself better if there's an injury. Josh already knows a ton more than Fromm, who wasn't even in QB meetings last year, couldn't really throw the ball in anger last year as the COVID relief QB. If Barkley goes, they'll bring someone else in to replace him.

And yeah, someone like Daryl Williams could easily go but if so, they'll almost surely bring in someone to replace him, and not a vet min guy either.

Nonsense. 

Refusal to accept completely unsupported on-the-internet sources doesn't mean a reading comp problem. Speaks well to general comprehension of the world, IMO.

I understand what you're saying about not wanting to out your source but that's also what people who have no source say.

So again, reading comprehension.

It's now been confirmed that his house is on the market. So what my source told me was in fact accurate. I wasn't aware this was public knowledge.

We speculated that this meant he knew he was getting cut so I asked this forum if that was likely given the cap hit. In retrospect retirement seems more likely.

Bottom line is, I think it's a reasonable indicator that he won't be here. Maybe he's tired of the winters, but I'd bet you a beer at the next TBD tailgate that he's done. 

Edit: tht was directed at MGK initially but the point stands.

Edited by yall
Clarification

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

They really aren't in a mess.  They have lots of other things they can do to easily free up another $20+ million in cap space that doesn't involve cutting anyone via some simple restructures if they feel the need to.  As it is now they have close to $20 million in cap space...hardly a mess.

I meant specifically regarding Star's contract, which is I think indisputably not very good for the Bills.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

You have absolutely no idea like me and everyone on this board has no inside sources.  Star is key to this defense and smells like inspiring fear.  Done with is silly thread.

Well, I mean, even if you believed he was the worst player in the NFL, cutting him still wouldnt make any sense.

a year off football.  we will see if he can still play.  I have my doubts....the owners got hoodwinked on the opt out thing...STAR is nearing over the hill for sure.  And, yes, Bean had  a brain cramp on this contract.  

Edited by bigK14094

4 hours ago, dje85 said:

We would take a 11.8 million cap hit if we cut him. (Unless, I am misreading spotrac) Doesn't make any sense to me. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/star-lotulelei-12294/

Yup

The restructuring plus sitting out pretty much locked in this year. 

you can sometimes argue it’s fine to eat the dead money to save cash but his salary is fine for a player of his caliber this year.

There is value in this thread.  It's more then just a baseless rumor.  This thread evolved into an interesting discussion about Star's contract and the impact, positive or negative, on the Bills' cap if he were cut.

OP never said it would happen, clearly stated it was a rumor, and then followed up by asking a legitimate question.  I swear, sometimes people get worked up over the smallest things.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2