Star L. possible cut?

yall

1 hour ago, yall said:

Good friend of mine with pretty accurate sources tells me he has reason to believe Star Lotulelei is gonna get cut. Based on what he shared with me, seems very possible.

From a cap perspective, does it make sense? I didn't get the feeling he was a likely candidate for release.

No, it's not a good move from a cap perspective.  It's a bad move.  It costs cap.  You can look up Star's actual cap numbers and see for yourself:

https://overthecap.com/player/star-lotulelei/2282/

He has a $7.6M cap hit this season due to a $4.5M fully guaranteed salary and $7.8M amortized signing bonuses. 

If he is cut, the amortized signing bonuses for 2022 and 2023 accelerate into this year.  His cap hit goes UP by $4.7M to $12.3M

If Star were to retire, it could be a good move if he forfeits his guaranteed salary of $4.5M and repays that portion of his signing bonuses.

Very few players do something like this.  Even Eric Wood, a definite Team guy as an active player, are all "hell no I'm keeping mine".

Now, if there are caveats in Star's contract that he has to show up at a certain weight and meet certain fitness benchmarks and he can't/doesn't want to ----then the Bills might get some relief but it would probably go to arbitration and get messy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, yall said:

Good friend of mine with pretty accurate sources tells me he has reason to believe Star Lotulelei is gonna get cut. Based on what he shared with me, seems very possible.

From a cap perspective, does it make sense? I didn't get the feeling he was a likely candidate for release.

Tell that greasy friend of yours that I said he is full of 🟤🟤🟤, (as usual).

:nana:   :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, yall said:

I'd get new friends.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, yall said:

You have absolutely no idea like me and everyone on this board has no inside sources.  Star is key to this defense and smells like inspiring fear.  Done with is silly thread.

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

Ah, the classic "I know a guy, don't ask about it" anonymous source.

Well my uncle who works at Nintendo says your friend is full of crap.

Well feel free to question, but I'm confident in what he's telling me. I'd share but the specifics would pretty clearly identify my source.

Could be he's not being cut (which is why I asked if it was a possibility, not making a definitive claim) and we're misinterpreting something. I figure in a while I'll be able to share the details.

For those of you who responded to the actual question as to whether or not it made sense in terms of the cap, thanks for you responses.

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

You have absolutely no idea like me and everyone on this board has no inside sources.  Star is key to this defense and smells like inspiring fear.  Done with is silly thread.

Believe what you want.

Buffalo is a pretty small town and lots of folks have access to info that can indicate what the franchise is doing before it's public.

Well my cousins hairdressers sisters mothers boyfriends other girlfriend said no way.  It was completely reliable so must be the truth right.

this is a ding ***** trying to stir up trouble.  I won’t be mean mods but please delete this thing when you have time.  It’s just instead of fake news a fake fan.  

2 minutes ago, yall said:

Well feel free to question, but I'm confident in what he's telling me. I'd share but the specifics would pretty clearly identify my source.

Could be he's not being cut (which is why I asked if it was a possibility, not making a definitive claim) and we're misinterpreting something. I figure in a while I'll be able to share the details.

For those of you who responded to the actual question as to whether or not it made sense in terms of the cap, thanks for you responses.

Right, like say he’s assuming cut based off being told his future isn’t certain when he really meant retirement. 

Like always, take things with a grain of salt but this stuff is always fun to dive into.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Smith hasn't retired yet. He may. They say he's leaning that way. But until he does, of course they won't take that into account. It's still on the cap.

As I said, with Butler's reduction, we don't know how much it is, so yes. (EDIT: Ah, I see I hadn't completed the post when you posted, my bad.

Ah, but I see you're right on Mitch Morse. Thanks for correcting me there.

However, having said, that, if you're counting future stuff like Lee Smith, we'll have to sign our draft class, Corey Bojorquez or a replacement, Matt Barkley or a replacement, Andre Roberts or a replacement, TJ Yeldon or a replacement, Levi Wallace And E.J. Gaines or  replacement CBs, Dean Marlowe or a replacement, Feliciano or a replacement, Boettger or a replacement, McKenzie or a replacement, Taiwan Jones or a replacement and Isaiah McKenzie or a replacement.

None of these guys count now against the cap, and a bunch of them will be on the team.

Not to mention Matt Milano or a replacement and Daryl Williams or a replacement.

Lots of dominoes still to fall. It'll be interesting.

57 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup.  After the rookies, I expect them to have $16M in cap space, barring a reduction in Addison's salary, or an outright release and any existing restructures (Tre, Dion, etc.).  They'll need about $6M to tag Wallace and Boettger (not sure what they'll do with Bojo because tagging him costs them $2.133M at least).  I don't see them replacing Barkley or Roberts and instead rolling with Fromm and an existing player for returns.  The rest can be league min re-signs outside of Milano (who likely walks) and Williams (no idea what happens there).

Careful with the draft class this year, only the top 51 count towards the cap, where we are drafting the first round price isn't terribly steep and not many of the class will be counted as part of the Top 51...

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well my cousins hairdressers sisters mothers boyfriends other girlfriend said no way.  It was completely reliable so must be the truth right.

this is a ding ***** trying to stir up trouble.  I won’t be mean mods but please delete this thing when you have time.  It’s just instead of fake news a fake fan.  

Weren't you done with this thread?

It's not fake news, just asking if it was possible. 

Why you so mad bro?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

“I won’t be mean”

*proceeds to be mean*

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Right, like say he’s assuming cut based off being told his future isn’t certain when he really meant retirement. 

Like always, take things with a grain of salt but this stuff is always fun to dive into.

Interesting because I hadn't considered retirement for him. Maybe that's what it could be...

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Careful with the draft class this year, only the top 51 count towards the cap, where we are drafting the first round price isn't terribly steep and not many of the class will be counted as part of the Top 51...

I figured $5.5M for the draft class.  That could be high.

3 minutes ago, yall said:

Believe what you want.

Buffalo is a pretty small town and lots of folks have access to info that can indicate what the franchise is doing before it's public.

Really?  I grew up there on South Park Ave. about 7 houses from 179. My father worked for the buff news for 44 years.  I went to st Francis, a couple of years ahead of polian, Daboll, Telesco, and Caldwell.  My cousin sat in front of Chris in home room for four years, as homeroom is done alphabetically.

My dad worked with Vic, Felser, and knew for 40 years Van Miller.  I also worked there for my college job delivering their inter office mail.  I think I know Buffalo.

You don’t know anything and just trying to stir up trouble.

Why the heck would they cut a player that costs them more to release than to keep?  Beane would never

ever Do it.

Heres how I see it; 

Cutting Star screws us.

If Star retires he screws us.

Star could out out again, which postpones screwing us, but postponing this year could be a good thing. 

Then there is the only wildcard option, that requires Star to play ball; show up to camp, get injured and put on IR, and reach injury settlement. I dont know all the details of that scenario, but i heard it was the cleanest route.

Then there is the notion Star shows up in great shape, fired up,  and ready to play. Doubt it, but given the above, maybe the most desirable.

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Really?  I grew up there on South Park Ave. about 7 houses from 179. My father worked for the buff news for 44 years.  I went to st Francis, a couple of years ahead of polian, Daboll, Telesco, and Caldwell.  My cousin sat in front of Chris in home room for four years, as homeroom is done alphabetically.

My dad worked with Vic, Felser, and knew for 40 years Van Miller.  I also worked there for my college job delivering their inter office mail.  I think I know Buffalo.

You don’t know anything and just trying to stir up trouble.

Why the heck would they cut a player that costs them more to release than to keep?  Beane would never

ever Do it.

Oh, I see. You've got a reading comprehension problem. That explains it.

Go back and read, and see if you can figure out where you got it wrong. I expect more from a Franny grad.