Star L. possible cut?

yall

Good friend of mine with pretty accurate sources tells me he has reason to believe Star Lotulelei is gonna get cut. Based on what he shared with me, seems very possible.

From a cap perspective, does it make sense? I didn't get the feeling he was a likely candidate for release.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

Everything I've read says it would be a negative cap hit.  They'd owe more money than they'd save.

Unless Star has a agreed to give a big chunk of the bonus money back, but that very rarely ever happens.  Likely if he tried the union would be all over him for setting a bad precedent

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
spelling
  • Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, yall said:

Good friend of mine with pretty accurate sources tells me he has reason to believe Star Lotulelei is gonna get cut. Based on what he shared with me, seems very possible.

From a cap perspective, does it make sense? I didn't get the feeling he was a likely candidate for release.

Doesn't make sense unless there is some type of hurt feelings or the Bills are upset with him opting out and sending a message which doesn't really seem how they do business if they preach about caring about their players and families.

Maybe a restructure?

Yeah, it would cost 4 million more in cap space to cut him. This is a case where of he wanted to retire or something, the Bills would want to ask him to go along with a fake injury all season.

Pretty brutal contract.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Doesn't make sense unless there is some type of hurt feelings or the Bills are upset with him opting out and sending a message which doesn't really seem how they do business if they preach about caring about their players and families.

Maybe a restructure?

They already restructured him last year, which is why they are in the mess they're in now.

Spotrac Star Contract

$7.6M cap hit if he’s on the team this season, then a $5.1M dead cap next season if cut before 6/1/22

$11.8M dead cap if cut this season before 6/1/21

The real problem is his guaranteed (and dead) money.  Total cap hits if he is on the team this season: $12.7M versus $11.8M if he’s not, so it’s only costing the team $900k to have him play.  So unless they can trade him or there is a huge issue with him, he’s here for 2021.

Though there is a possibility that they could come to an agreement to part ways where they lessen the money they owe him in exchange for letting him hit the market as a FA.  I doubt he’d do that though.  

Edited by BarleyNY
Added info
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Not this season, currently the team has something around 18 to 25 mil in cap space from what I’ve read, jmo. I could be wrong of course, but I think your source is mistaken, 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, yall said:

Yea, mayne, I talked to Terry as well. It's on like Donkey Kong, ya dig?

• Haha (+1) 1

A true pay cut or some sort of a creative restructure that either lowers his cap hit this year or lessens the dead cap hit to cut him after this season would be the only good option IMO (thing is, I don't think he has any incentive to do either unless he just wants to help the team out of the goodness of his heart). Cutting Star or him retiring would be a disaster.

That's all from a cap standpoint, but I want him back on the field in his steady 1-Tech role as well. 

26 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Spotrac Star Contract

$7.6M cap hit if he’s on the team this season, then a $5.1M dead cap next season if cut before 6/1/22

$11.8M dead cap if cut this season before 6/1/21

The real problem is his guaranteed money.  Total cap hits if he is on the team this season: $12.7M versus $11.8M if he’s not, so it’s only costing the team $900k to have him play.  So unless they can trade him or there is a huge issue with him, he’s here for 2021.

Though there is a possibility that they could come to an agreement to part ways where they lessen the money they owe him in exchange for letting him hit the market as a FA.  I doubt he’d do that though.  

So I think you're saying designating him a post-June cut saves them a little money this year, rather than being a significant hit on their cap?

Edited by TPS

7 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

A true pay cut or some sort of a creative restructure that either lowers his cap hit this year or lessens the dead cap hit to cut him after this season would be the only good option IMO (thing is, I don't think he has any incentive to do either unless he just wants to help the team out of the goodness of his heart). Cutting Star or him retiring would be a disaster.

That's all from a cap standpoint, but I want him back on the field in his steady 1-Tech role as well. 

Agreed.  Although Star's value is hard to see on a stat sheet, I do think his absence made it clear how important he is to the defense.  I do think the Bills want to get better and younger at his position and they should be trying to find his replacement...but for this year we definitely want him.

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, yall said:

Makes absolutely zero sense, finanacially or otherwise.

Now, if he comes back out of shape or injured or something, hey, anyone can go. But unless that happens, they'll be thrilled to get him back. This year showed clearly how badly they need a big guy in the middle eating blocks. Not that it wasn't obvious before. It was. But this made it even more clear.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Disaster of a contract.

The contract's fine. The fuss over the contract is kind silly.

1 minute ago, TPS said:

So I think you're saying designating him a post-June cut saves them a little money this year, rather than being a significant hit on their cap?

A post 6/1/21 release would only move $2.6M dead cap to 2022.  The Bills would still have a worse hit this season than if they kept him.  Unless they can trade him or get him to agree to take less for an immediate release, he’s gonna be on the team this season.  I don’t see either happening so he will be here this year.  That should be it though. 

26 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Not this season, currently the team has something around 18 to 25 mil in cap space from what I’ve read, jmo. I could be wrong of course, but I think your source is mistaken, 

Spotrac says $15M in cap space.. OvertheCaps says $19M. OvertheCap has left a bunch of players, including Jefferson, off their dead cap reckoning. So it's somewhere around $15 to $17M. Both have accounted for all the moves made in the past couple of days with the exception of Butler's pay cut, because they haven't announced how much it is yet.

32 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Yeah, it would cost 4 million more in cap space to cut him. This is a case where of he wanted to retire or something, the Bills would want to ask him to go along with a fake injury all season.

Pretty brutal contract.

They already restructured him last year, which is why they are in the mess they're in now.

Yeah - it was a pre-pandemic restructure to get him on the 2020 team, and he opted out.

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

A post 6/1/21 release would only move $2.6M dead cap to 2022.  The Bills would still have a worse hit this season than if they kept him.  Unless they can trade him or get him to agree to take less for an immediate release, he’s gonna be on the team this season.  I don’t see either happening so he will be here this year.  That should be it though. 

No reason to think this. He could very easily be here for another year or two.

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

Too late for that.

And cutting him makes no sense, unless Star has made it known he's not coming back but won't retire.  Which better not happen.

Cottingham would make no sense at all. We have to assume he’s coming back at this point.

And, you are right, it is too late for that. Thankfully that nightmare is over and things are better now.

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Wouldn't it move $5.2 mil?  He's signed until 2023, so the bonus money from 2022 and 23 ($2.6 mil each year) would be moved to next year.  That's my understanding of how the June 1 cut works, but I'm not certain....?