NFL Awards Compensatory Picks - Pats Get Highest One

WotAGuy

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Yup.  All a comp pick does is reward you with an end-of-3rd rounder at best for losing one of your best players.

There’s going to be 50 3rd round comps 2 years from now because 90% of the contracts this off season will be 1yr deals.  On the other hand there shouldn’t be many comp picks at all next year because the market is flooded with players that were cut.  Should be interesting. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Pats getting a ton of comp picks thing is going to change dramatically.

The comp pick formula is ridiculous. The best teams get all the comp picks because they can afford to let good players go and still win.

Pats being a bad team = Pats will get less comp picks moving forward.

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

The Pats getting a ton of comp picks thing is going to change dramatically.

The comp pick formula is ridiculous. The best teams get all the comp picks because they can afford to let good players go and still win.

Pats being a bad team = Pats will get less comp picks moving forward.

Yup.  They'll need to sign UFAs to make that team better.

18 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't believe released players are part of the equation.

17 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He was released. Not unrestricted free agent. Just like John Brown signing elsewhere won't benefit Bills but Milano will.

I thought the equation was based on guys you lost (I get not including someone you released) offset by guys you sign (this should include a guy released by another team)? 

Regardless, I think the whole comp thing is dumb. I wish they would just get rid of it. 

Edited by ngbills

They should do away with compensatory picks altogether, teams should not be rewarded for poor cap management, or having a player leave after a contract is completed,  to bad for them. 

23 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I thought the equation was based on guys you lost (I get not including someone you released) offset by guys you sign (this should include a guy released by another team)? 

Regardless, I think the whole comp thing is dumb. I wish they would just get rid of it. 

It's UFA's lost minus UFA's signed.  Then the quality and contract of the players is considered.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Weatherman said:

There’s going to be 50 3rd round comps 2 years from now because 90% of the contracts this off season will be 1yr deals.  On the other hand there shouldn’t be many comp picks at all next year because the market is flooded with players that were cut.  Should be interesting. 

This isn’t true. There are 32 compensatory picks awarded every year regardless of qualifying Free Agents or not. You have to meet a certain salary threshold. There were more than 32 qualifying FAs this year. 

In an instance when their aren’t 32 qualifying Free Agents, teams with even net loss and net gain are rewarded a 7th rounder for bigger loss. Not enough still? 7th rounders are awarded from worst record to best    until 32 picks are met

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

This isn’t true. There are 32 compensatory picks awarded every year regardless of qualifying Free Agents or not. You have to meet a certain salary threshold. There were more than 32 qualifying FAs this year. 

In an instance when their aren’t 32 qualifying Free Agents, teams with even net loss and net gain are rewarded a 7th rounder for bigger loss. Not enough still? 7th rounders are awarded from worst record to best    until 32 picks are met

Okay so put qualifying in front of picks and we’re good.  

19 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

8 rounds of draft