Looks like John Brown was released

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not there with an undefeated season, definitely in the 12-4/14-2 territory.  But if we are like 10-0 at some point....

giphy.gif

With this sched, I expect 13-3 tbh. I really, really need this team to beat the Chiefs, though. The Bucs, too.

6 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Everyone thats using JB injuries as he reason for the Bills cutting him makes no sense. Have you seen Sanders injury history? Hasnt played 16game season since 2016, and hes now 34yrs old. 

Sanders played a full season in 2019, he was just on two different teams. 

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Don’t doubt Allen’s awesomeness. I think this year Allen is going to put on an absolute show. 

Do you understand how many total yards you're predicting Allen will throw? It's completely unrealistic. I love Josh Allen and wouldn't trade him for anyone, but expecting him to average like 350 yards per game is completely bonkers.

Doesn’t matter, he gone...

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

JB signed for $3.75M w Raiders, does his agent suck or did we not want him at all?  Hard to believe Daboll and Josh would support paying an older receiver $2.25M more than Smoke, plus don't we have dead money in there too?

Im baffled by this move.  Two years of chemistry w Josh, a multiple 1000 yd NFL proven receiver and we let him walk because we dont think he's worth $3.75M?

This has to be injury concern.  There's no other explanation.

Yeah I didn’t know the #’s that’s crazy. First thing I thought when we released his was wonder if we tried to restructure. Maybe they are just looking for alittle more of then dog that sanders has. And I’m sure seeing that the offense was just as good without him made them feel they needed something different. But I am shocked they wouldn’t restructure and keep him for that amount. Damn. 🤷🏻‍♂️

35 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Browns can also earn up to 5.75M with incentives.  

my take:  brown had his chance and didn’t respond vs the chiefs.  Miss you Smoke, good luck

In all fairness it was more than Brown, what does one expect when their top four WRs are playing hurt during the playoffs. It’s not that I disagree with them moving on from Brown, but your take is a bit off base, jmo. 

7 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Do you understand how many total yards you're predicting Allen will throw? It's completely unrealistic. I love Josh Allen and wouldn't trade him for anyone, but expecting him to average like 350 yards per game is completely bonkers.

It’s happening. Allen will be on the field slinging it until his arm falls off. This year is going to be a lot of fun. Just wait. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes there is another explanation.  They wanted someone that can deal with more physical corners like KC presented us.  Sanders is better at that.

Exactly. 

Sanders is also all around a better WR , even at this age. He looked great last year 

57 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Brown had 72 receptions, and over 1,000 yards in 2019. I’d say that brings more to the table than just the occasional long ball. He wasn’t good last season, and I think injuries were the main factor. I’m good with moving on from Brown, but I think health is a bigger concern than ability. 

He wasn't bad either. He basically played in what amounted to slightly less than 8 full games (he was injured in the first half of the Rams game, in the fourth quarter of the AZ game, and sat the second half of the last Miami game). Prorated, he would have had 66 catches for 916 yards and 6 TDs over 16 games. He's also regarded as an excellent hitch route runner (scroll down for hitch route rankings: https://www.nfl.com/news/top-3-nfl-wide-receivers-by-route-michael-thomas-reigns), so it's not as if he's a bad route guy. I just think they were wary about injuries and him breaking down. Plus I also think that they view Sanders as an ideal fit for their offense--basically a mirror of Diggs. Tough to cover both of those guys given their expansive route trees and precise route running. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

So beane thought Allen needed guys like Benjamin who are just bigger than everyone then thought speed guys like brown to just bomb it. Went and got diggs who is just the best route runner in the game and he went nuts. Sanders is more of the diggs type with the route running so beane doubling on that instead of brown. 

Regarding Brown and if we offered to restructure - we most likely did - and Brown and his agent most likely felt they were worth more. In a non-cap strapped year, with so MANY WRs on the FA market, he probably gets a better deal.

As far as we're concerned - we get someone with roughly the same speed, and of equal or greater skill. John Brown and his contributions to this team can not be understated, but ultimately we are better off with our current WR roster swapping him for Sanders.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

In all fairness it was more than Brown, what does one expect when their top four WRs are playing hurt during the playoffs. It’s not that I disagree with them moving on from Brown, but your take is a bit off base, jmo. 

I don't think it was just that Chiefs game.  I think they saw several patterns (not routes) and decided they needed to move on.

1) Ability to open against physical ('sticky') man coverage.  It's not just the AFCCG where Brown had 2 receptions on 4 targets, but he was blanked vs. IND, held to 1 reception on 2 targets in the 1st NWE game, and blanked (2-0, 4-0) in 2 others.  There were also games last season where Brown was effectively taken away or severely limited as well, including both NE games (despite the great deep catch), the Ravens game, and at least partially in the HOU playoff.

2) Response to injuries.  He was injured and missed A LOT, and was limited when out there.  Maybe there was some feeling where Beasley missed one game with a broken fibula then put up 14 receptions on 18 targets for 145 yds (77.8% catch) in the playoffs on that thing, while Brown missed 4 games on IR (after the bye) and went right on the covid list as a "close contact" for the 5th game?  The injuries were different and a high ankle sprain may be tougher to play through, I grant.  And injuries can be random in how they strike.  But there might be opinions there on how Brown handled the recovery (I don't have anything to back this up)

3) Development.  IMO Brown actually took a good step as a WR this year.  He was making some of those toe-drag tough catches and going down for low throws that he didn't make last year.   But maybe there were some other things that they wanted and he didn't or wasn't able to do?  He and Allen seemed to be not on the same page at times, and Brown alluded to the complexity of the playbook and that Davis (the rookie) was helping them grasp it.

As a Bills fan, I'm profoundly grateful to Brown for all that he contributed to the Bills over the last 2 years and those contributions were BIG.  But they also showcased Brown as still capable of >50ypg production and of >62% catch %, so Win-Win, Thank you very much and just as with Barkley and Lee Smith, grateful but time to move on.

58 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

So beane thought Allen needed guys like Benjamin who are just bigger than everyone then thought speed guys like brown to just bomb it. Went and got diggs who is just the best route runner in the game and he went nuts. Sanders is more of the diggs type with the route running so beane doubling on that instead of brown. 

That's pretty much how I see it.  Sanders is a craftsman on routes and willing/able to play physical in a way Brown is not.  And he's like "Bring It" on the complex playbook.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think it was just that Chiefs game.  I think they saw several patterns (not routes) and decided they needed to move on.

1) Ability to open against physical ('sticky') man coverage.  It's not just the AFCCG where Brown had 2 receptions on 4 targets, but he was blanked vs. IND, held to 1 reception on 2 targets in the 1st NWE game, and blanked (2-0, 4-0) in 2 others.  There were also games last season where Brown was effectively taken away or severely limited as well, including both NE games (despite the great deep catch), the Ravens game, and at least partially in the HOU playoff.

2) Response to injuries.  He was injured and missed A LOT, and was limited when out there.  Maybe there was some feeling where Beasley missed one game with a broken fibula then put up 14 receptions on 18 targets for 145 yds (77.8% catch) in the playoffs on that thing, while Brown missed 4 games on IR (after the bye) and went right on the covid list as a "close contact" for the 5th game?  The injuries were different and a high ankle sprain may be tougher to play through, I grant.  And injuries can be random in how they strike.  But there might be opinions there on how Brown handled the recovery (I don't have anything to back this up)

3) Development.  IMO Brown actually took a good step as a WR this year.  He was making some of those toe-drag tough catches and going down for low throws that he didn't make last year.   But maybe there were some other things that they wanted and he didn't or wasn't able to do?  He and Allen seemed to be not on the same page at times, and Brown alluded to the complexity of the playbook and that Davis (the rookie) was helping them grasp it.

That's pretty much how I see it.

I Don’t disagree with your points, I was addressing the remarks about the KC game. 

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

After watching the all 22 and focusing on the WRs separation, I am confidant that my take is on par, but see it how you like. He had trouble getting any sort of separation as well as finding the soft spots in the zones.

whether or not they would’ve moved on from him if he had a good game or not, I obviously have no idea......but playing the game that he did, while possibly being the healthiest of our WRs in that game, made McBs decision easier imo.

He just wasn’t even close to the same player we saw last year. Injuries or not, that’s part of the overall picture.  

24 minutes ago, NewEra said:

After watching the all 22 and focusing on the WRs separation, I am confidant that my take is on par, but see it how you like. He had trouble getting any sort of separation as well as finding the soft spots in the zones.

whether or not they would’ve moved on from him if he had a good game or not, I obviously have no idea......but playing the game that he did, while possibly being the healthiest of our WRs in that game, made McBs decision easier imo.

He just wasn’t even close to the same player we saw last year. Injuries or not, that’s part of the overall picture.  

I’m not saying he wasn’t lacking at times, I was sayin he wasn’t the only reason we lost the KC game, you only referenced the KC game specifically, so that was what I responded to, 👍

3 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

While I'm perfectly fine with releasing Brown, I can't say I'm thrilled that we did it in order to bring in a 34 year old Sanders. Sanders has a 6mm cap hit + 1.6mm dead cap from Brown for 7.6mm total. Hard to believe that Brown would have refused a restructure to get him at less than 7.6mm cap hit. 

Browns 2020 season was an injury filled dud, but he was really good in 2019. Sanders hasn't had a comparable season close to that since 2016. 

Last year, Sanders got 500 yards as SF 3rd option with Jimmy G throwing to him for just over half a season.

In 2019, Brown needed 15 games and 115 targets with Josh Allen to crack 1000 yards as the WR1.

It's clear McBeane considered even a healthy Brown as done as far as a deep threat.  Without that, his value is what it is....

27 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I’m not saying he wasn’t lacking at times, I was sayin he wasn’t the only reason we lost the KC game, you only referenced the KC game specifically, so that was what I responded to, 👍

I referenced the K.C. game but I never said he was the only reason we lost.....

• Agree 1