Looks like John Brown was released

8 minutes ago, teef said:

this kinda stinks, but it happens every season.

Yeah, I wonder why he wasn't given a heads up or whatever. He says he was expecting it, but so did many of us so that don't mean much. Maybe they weren't sure what they were going to do exactly until the last minute. I don't know, but I wouldn't go as far to say it was a dick move by FO. It does happen that way a lot, and sometimes players do get advanced notice. But anyway...

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think this last isn't painting quite a correct picture.  Brown played 16 games for the Ravens + a playoff in 2018 and 15 games + a playoff in 2019 for the Bills (healthy scratch for the final reg. season game).

However, it wasn't just the number of injuries Brown had this season (3 different injuries) but that he really struggled against physical coverage and was taken totally out of 2 playoff games and 2 regular season games where he played.  We can't pay top dollar to a WR who gets erased so easily.

I'm not sure he was ever " completely" healty...but dont have a real problem with what you say. Your right, his lack of physicality is another issue.

12 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

If true, crappy look for the team. This would be the first time I hear they've not handled things in a professional manner in regards to their players. 

I wouldn't jump to conclusion though. May be a reason it just so happened that it ended up being a spur of the moment type thing. Anyway with that said, there's been nothing but praise from many about Bills FO and the way everyone respects one another.

Something just doesn't quite add up.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

37 minutes ago, Doc said:

That sucks if they didn't talk to him beforehand.

If they didn't talk to Smoke beforehand, then how did he know?

The Bills didn't announce it before Smoke announced it on his Instagram.  Why would that be the sequence if the Bills didn't talk to Smoke?

What he might mean is that the Bills didn't reach out and say "would you consider re-negotiating your contract?" or anything like that, they just called his agent and said "I'm sorry, we're going to release John Brown, thanks for everything".

If that's what he means, it's worded poorly. 

And no, I don't think Josh Allen should have input.  I'm sure Josh would say "yeah, I want Smoke to stay, he's My Guy" but I think Allen would say "it's not my decision" just like he did when he was asked about Williams and Feliciano.  He said he loved playing with them but it's not up to him.

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Really, he's going to complain to the media that he didn't get a "heads up"? Man just go sign with another team, it's not like your career is over.

I mean, Smoke announced it on his Instagram "thanks for the 2 years" before it was announced on the Buffalo Bills site or their social media.  When Rappaport announced it, he referenced Smoke's Instagram post.  So it's not that he didn't get a "heads up" before the Bills publicly announced the cut, that's not the issue.

I think the issue might be that they didn't reach out to him like Morse and Butler to renegotiate or something?  Or give him a heads-up "it looks like we're going to release you in a month if you want to put feelers out" (but Beane doesn't work that way).

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

LOL at him saying Ben Roethlisberger is good with the deep ball.  And about the Colts - last year that was with Rivers, remains to be seen if Wentz gets back on form.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Bills didn't announce it before Smoke announced it on his Instagram.  Why would that be the sequence if the Bills didn't talk to Smoke?

What he might mean is that the Bills didn't reach out and say "would you consider re-negotiating your contract?" or anything like that, they just called his agent and said "I'm sorry, we're going to release John Brown, thanks for everything".

And no, I don't think Josh Allen should have input.  I'm sure Josh would say "yeah, I want Smoke to stay, he's My Guy" but I think Allen would say "it's not my decision" just like he did when he was asked about Williams and Feliciano.  He said he loved playing with them but it's not up to him.

I mean, Smoke announced it on his Instagram "thanks for the 2 years" before it was announced on the Buffalo Bills site or their social media.  When Rappaport announced it, he referenced Smoke's Instagram post.  So it's not that he didn't get a "heads up" before the Bills publicly announced it, that's not the issue.

I mentioned that too, although if I'm not mistaken I thought it said he expected it, instead of actually knowing. But as I also mentioned, many fans also expected it so doesn't account for much.

36 minutes ago, dreadlox said:

Why drag Josh Allen into it? I think that’s a bad look. 

He loves Josh and he thinks Josh would have fought to keep him.  

But I think Josh knows he needs to abstain from that front-office stuff, other than at a very low level of "hey, if you're bringing guys in, could you bring in this guy for a look?"

8 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I mentioned that too, although if I'm not mistaken I thought it said he expected it, instead of actually knowing. But as I also mentioned, many fans also expected it so doesn't account for much.

The point is: the initial public announcement came from Smoke's Instagram account, not from the Bills

There wasn't any 'per source, Brown will be released', it came from Brown himself.

So I think his issue is that he wanted a "heads up" hey, we may have to release you as a salary cap move a couple weeks back, or to be approached about a restructure.  I don't think Beane works with "heads up"s and I don't think the Bills wanted to restructure him by extending his deal or even keeping him with a $2M pay cut or something.

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

LOL at him saying Ben Roethlisberger is good with the deep ball.  And about the Colts - last year that was with Rivers, remains to be seen if Wentz gets back on form.

HAHA. Him and his 30th ranked YPA.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yup, that's what I'm getting at.  Approach him about a pay cut and put the ball in his court to take one or face being cut.  I guess they didn't want him back, period, but it seems like such a cold way to end things.  

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He loves Josh and he thinks Josh would have fought to keep him.  

But I think Josh knows he needs to abstain from that front-office stuff, other than at a very low level of "hey, if you're bringing guys in, could you bring in this guy for a look?"

The point is: the initial public announcement came from Smoke's Instagram account, not from the Bills

Oh yeah, forgot about that. He did post other day Thanking them for 2 years. Thought something didn't quite add up. So obviously he knew then. Kinda weird he would say he didn't get a heads up then. Oh well, whatever, enjoyed it while he was here.

5 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Oh yeah, forgot about that. He did post other day Thanking them for 2 years. Thought something didn't quite add up. So obviously he knew then. Kinda weird he would say he didn't get a heads up then. Oh well, whatever, enjoyed it while he was here.

Yes, and it was that post that an insider like Ian Rappoport cited, not "per source" or from the Bills themselves.

That's why I think Smoke doesn't mean that the Bills didn't give him a heads-up he was being cut before telling the media, because all signs point to they told him before it got out into the media.

What I think he means is that the Bills didn't have a convo with him where they said back at his exit interview or 2 weeks ago "you've been great here but you're not in our plans for next year, start shopping yourself", or a convo about renegotiating his contract or taking a lower salary.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup, that's what I'm getting at.  Approach him about a pay cut and put the ball in his court to take one or face being cut.  I guess they didn't want him back, period, but it seems like such a cold way to end things. 

It's a cold business sometimes.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

sucks, but the reality is that the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze. They probably think they can get younger and cheaper and not miss him that much.

hard business, but we’ve seen too many teams drop off cause they can’t make hard choices when the bill is due.

• Like (+1) 1