Looks like John Brown was released

7 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Will have a lot of interest as a viable 2/3 WR threat if healthy. 

Not sure about that.  With the reduced cap number and another good upcoming WR draft, most teams will likely go for a rookie over a veteran. 

48 minutes ago, ColeB said:

Not sure about that.  With the reduced cap number and another good upcoming WR draft, most teams will likely go for a rookie over a veteran. 

Agreed. I could see him sitting around for awhile in free agency like Kenny Stills did last year. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That's pretty much what most think

However was Brown the X? Typically the X is the #1. Maybe the Bills do things differently. 

X receiver isn't typically the #1, rather refers to alignment.  Receiver lined up on the open side, ie: on the line.  Typically your X, is your speed guy.

Davis filling that role isn't surprising, he is more of a down field type, has deceiving long speed and obviously great tracking/size to go get the deep passes.

We do need more speed, so won't be surprised to see us go after 1-2 wrs again

• Like (+1) 1

I think once they traded for Diggs last year, Brown had to be worried.  Not at all saying the Bills shouldn't have traded for Diggs, but if instead they had drafted a rookie WR in the 1st round, Browns contract would have been fine. The issue with him was he signed a contract that paid a decent amount of money, not top $$, but at the time he was signing as the Bills #1 WR, the amount of the contract was fine.  Once Diggs showed up Browns contract was too high for the production gained by him.  On top of trading for Diggs they then drafted two rookies, one who's looked pretty good and showed most of the season he was capable of replacing Brown again on cheap rookie contract. 

Brown became an easy target to release.  Probably WR is the position with the most depth on the team and produced good results.

Basically the rule in the NFL is if you can production from a player on a rookie contract that is maybe even half the amount of what the high paid vet is making, get rid of the vet.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not optimistic about Williams at this point. Personally I think he should be a priority. But sounds like Beane is ready to move ahead with Ford at RT, and maybe sign a depth guy like Rick Wagner plus another draft pick. If they're letting Williams test the market 90% of the time that means the player is gone.

would also hate to see williams go.  but a quality Ot will be available at 30.  might make more sense for Ford, rookie to battle and play ford at guard perhaps, while using FA money on an edge.  

3 hours ago, ColeB said:

I think some of the same reasons that led the Bills to sign John Brown and Cole Beasley then trade for a veteran like Stefon Diggs over a talented rookie who would be on a cheap deal, will apply to John Brown vs going for a rookie over a veteran.

Take a team like the Jags.  They're planning to draft a QB.  They've got a talented young WR room with Chark and Shenault.  They've got $73M in cap space to use up.  It could be a very smart move for them to sign a vet who runs polished routes and could lead the room and help their young QB transition to the NFL.  He brings something a rookie won't.

The Bengals have $43M in cap space.   AJ Green is a free agent and maybe they want to move on - adding a vet WR who had a 1000 yd season in 2019 instead of 2017 might look like a good move. 

Can actually construct an argument for why Brown would be a good move for the teams with the top-6 cap space, though if I were Brown I'd want to pick a team that has a QB...Jets and Patriots wouldn't intrigue me too much until they straighten the QB sitch out, and Colts would be a ??.  Still leaves Jags, Bengals, and WFT (who knows who they'll end up with but they seem to have 2 journeyman types who can play on the roster).

Brown doesn't need "most teams" to want him, he only needs 1

• Like (+1) 1

I never thought about the Bengals, but that makes a lot of sense.  A healthy Brown would be great for Burrow.  Burrow looks like the real deal before his injury.  I felt bad for the guy, and the Bengals need weapons for Burrow.    I’d hate see Smoke at the Pats or Jests.  Both need weapons, but if I’m Brown, why go to a team that doesn’t have a QB.  Now if the Jets take Wilson, and then another 1st, and then 5 more picks in the first 98 slots without anyone trading for Darnold.  I wouldn’t be surprised another team giving away a 3rd for Darnold.  I’m certainly not rooting for the Jests, but they can improve significantly and Brown could agree to it if they give him some assurances what support they will provide for him.

I would strongly prefer the Bengals, But it could happen.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N1PV0xjS0gY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(Tried to embed this above but couldn't get it to work.)

Here are all of John Brown's Bills' TDs: https://www.youtube.com/embed/N1PV0xjS0gY

It felt good to watch this.

Wish Smoke the best for his future.

Edited by Ray Stonada

I really liked Brown but for whatever reason I just never saw him as a #1 WR. It was a shame he missed so much time in 2020 because I think his appropriate spot is as a #2 alongside Diggs...assuming he’d take the pay-cut. Now we’ll never know.