Allen and Edmunds 5th Year Option Costs

JGMcD2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Tell me how much? Right now we're talking 2-3 million per year difference between Mahomes and Allen. Mahomes has an MVP and a Super Bowl. 

Uhhh, i'm not a GM and I don't have specifics. 

Tell me why Dak just got more money than Aaron Rodgers, Watson, Wilson, etc? You can't. It's a market. As the salary cap goes up, so do QB numbers. 

"Tell me how much" like I know an exact number hahaha 

How about this: You tell me how much Josh's contract is going to be. Insane and asinine to assume you can.

Edited by warrior9

Just now, warrior9 said:

Uhhh, i'm not a GM and I don't have specifics. 

Tell me why Dak just got more money than Aaron Rodgers, Watson, Wilson, etc? You can't. It's a market. As the salary cap goes up, so do QB numbers. 

"Tell me how much" hahaha 

Josh is grouped with other QB's, Mahomes, Watson, Prescott, Mayfield, Jackson... 

There's a market for those QB's. Mahomes set the market. It's similar to Jalen Ramsey last year for CB's. 

Someone in the age group will have to top Mahomes. It could be Allen. But we likely won't see anyone reset the QB market until maybe Joe Burrow or someone younger is up. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Josh is grouped with other QB's, Mahomes, Watson, Prescott, Mayfield, Jackson... 

There's a market for those QB's. Mahomes set the market. It's similar to Jalen Ramsey last year for CB's. 

Someone in the age group will have to top Mahomes. It could be Allen. But we likely won't see anyone reset the QB market until maybe Joe Burrow or someone younger is up. 

Glad you're in the know. 

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

If I am reading this tweet from Albert Breer correctly, these are the values for the 5th year options on Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds for 2022. 

Both players will receive the value under “Transition Players” 

Meaning the 5th year option on Josh will be $23,016,000 and the 5th year option on Tremaine will be $12,716,000. 

FWIW Buffalo Fanatics is saying the 5th year option on Tre will be $14.79 🤷‍♂️

• Shocked 1

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Which is a fair number for him. Should be an easy decision to pick up or extend

59 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I saw that but I’m 99.9% sure that is wrong because they’re misinterpreting the buckets. 

Edmunds didn’t make the 2019 Pro Bowl on the original ballot. He was a replacement for Dont’a Hightower. You have to be an initial selection for that to apply. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Josh no brainer.  Even if I liked Edmunds more, no way I’m committing that to him now.  The franchise # isn’t much different and I can delay that decision another year.  

Pretty much my train of thought. Assuming you get Josh signed to an extension you can just franchise Edumonds. Might as well work on an extension for Edumonds rather than pick up his option if you really like him. 

• Vomit 1

3 hours ago, Jobot said:

...what a joke of a process that was created!  You're telling me that monetary and CAP decisions have an aspect that hinge on getting voted into the pro bowl by the press and fans??

That's never been the case that I know of unless a recent CBA changed it, I thought it was based on draft position more specifically if selected in the top 10 or not. As this is the rule I knew: 

The option for top-ten picks is set at an amount equal to the salary of the Transition Tender (set in Article 10, Section 4 of the CBA) for the player’s fourth contract year. This salary is calculated, to put it simply, by finding the average of the top ten highest Prior Year Salaries for players at the same position. Positions are defined by where a player spent the most plays during the previous season (Sec. 7, (a), 31).

For players selected between 11th and 32nd in the draft, the same calculation is used to compute their salaries. The difference lies in what is averaged; rather than the top ten, the 3rd-25th highest Prior Year Salaries for the player’s position will be used.

Courtesy of https://frontofficenfl.com/2017/03/27/nfl-rookie-contracts-explained-fifth-year-option/

Edited by The Jokeman

15 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

That's never been the case that I know of unless a recent CBA changed it, I thought it was based on draft position more specifically if selected in the top 10 or not. As this is the rule I knew: 

Tweet in the OP says it’s a byproduct of the new CBA. 

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I wouldn’t pick up the option on Edmunds. He’s a $14M/yr type of talent, but it doesn’t show consistently enough. 

Agree, plus I believe this the 1st year it is guaranteed per the new CBA unlike past years where it wasn't.  I would pass on it and if he has a monster year franchise  him if a deal can't get done

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Next year. But if they agree to a contract it can change that number. 

Edit - my mistake. 5th year option is non-negotiable. So if picked up that's his cap hit year 5.

One additional point: the team and player can still add an extension to the contract, including guaranteed money paid after the 5th year