What are the chances we resign Milano?

I get the pessimism on re-signing him, but I think these guys realize there’s something special happening here.  If Beane offers something close to what he could get, I think he stays.  Teams now have more clarity on who’s gonna be available and what the cap will likely be.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Morse took a pay-cut because he wasn’t getting more than that if he got released.  Wasn’t some charitable thing he did.  

all the headlines say "Morse takes pay cut to stay with the bills"  spotrac had Morse's value about a mil more then he is making right now and in FA? you never know what people get paid. but all subject headers on this topic say "Mitch Morse takes pay cut to stay with Buffalo" Morse could of said "I am 28 years old and am going to feel the market" yet he didn't.  

I think in a feeding frenzy market of teams needing a Solid C? he might of gotten a Mil more. 

I'd  say 20%.  It is a difficult year for teams to do free agency with uncertainly about the cap and such. And I think Milano, while a good fit with us, may not be as attractive to teams that play 3-4, plus his injury history will decrease his value.  But some team with a lot of space will make him a bigger offer that we can.  

Beane has handled the Milano situation properly thus far IMO.  Now we are waiting to see what his market bears.  Hopefully he gives us a last look if his offers aren’t where he expects them to be.  If he gets PAID, then we’re out.  If not, then back here even on a one year deal isn’t a bad way for him to go.  He’d be playing in a familiar defense and would hit the market again when the cap jumps.  That’s really our best shot IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

As we watch the off season unfold and players getting Franchise tags, but not on the Bills, I’m hopeful that players like Milano see the Bills mean no disrespect to them personally. The Bills are not in that mode right now. They made the championship game and are not in the mood to REACH for any particular player with the obvious exception of Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

If i had a dream scenario about a Milano it would go like this .

Matt would want to stay with the Bills due to the fact they were so close to getting to the SB and that he may have a bit of loyalty to the Bills & he would agree to a 1 yr contract for better money than he made last yr then when the cap goes back up Beane could repay the gesture and resign him for the money he deserves .

But seeing as the NFL has changed a lot over the years and it's all about the money and there's not a lot of loyalty to the team that drafted and developed the player i think the first team to give him more money will be where he goes I just hope it's out of the division . 

I could see the Pats pilfering him because they have a bunch of cap space and the Bills having to play against him for the next 4 + yrs like they did with Gilmore .

hate to see him go but others have silly cap space that we don't...just want him out of the division and conference..he is kind of small and some injury history so the risk is above normal given the long-term contract he is looking for and likely to get,  good for him

he did what anybody should do and asked for as much money as possible. Whether that actually is part of his decision making in staying with a contender that drafted him is unknown. I assume, like anybody, he'd like to do that at a bit higher salary than what may have been at the table had he just rolled over. 

It'd be great to keep him. Milano may end up taking marginally more money to go to the highest bidder.. but I don't think his statements going to FA indicate either way. I want him back now just as much as I did midseason. And I trust McBeane's judgement either way.

I always get the feeling some players anticipating and planning their impending FA makes them unpopular with fans for whatever reason. That said, I have no idea what salary Milano would actually command. If teams actually want to pay him an elite LB salary then so be it.. it's not in the cards for us.

2 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

I dont think the Bills really want him, and feel that they can improve at his spot. My guess is he signs a 1yr 6-8mil deal somewhere cause the big money just isnt there.

It'd be more constructive to ask what we'd be willing to pay. I would do this in a heartbeat!

On 3/9/2021 at 1:51 PM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Assuming he doesn’t get the offers he’d thought he would get in free agency and with the cap room we’re creating , also this team being close to being a super bowl contender. Do you think he comes to his senses and re signs or do you think he’s good as gone? 

I think he gone.

13 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

I dont think the Bills really want him, and feel that they can improve at his spot. My guess is he signs a 1yr 6-8mil deal somewhere cause the big money just isnt there.

I think the Bills 100% want to keep Milano, but at their price.  I think they have injury concerns that hold them back from inking him to a multi-year deal with big guarantees.  Beane strikes me as a straight shooter and that's pretty much what he said.

If Milano signs a 1 year deal for 6-8 mil it will probably be in Buffalo, where he knows the defense, knows it suits his skills, and the training facilities are top-notch to help him stay on the field.  The Bills could structure that to look like a 2 or 3 year deal with voidable years, it would be manageable for them.  If he wants to showcase his talents in the hope of cashing in next year, the Bills could well be his best bet.

I think Milano wants to cash in and get a multi-year, top-dollar deal with a lot guaranteed.  And all he needs is one of the teams with crazy big cap space to decide he's a fit for their D, and his injuries are fluky and won't repeat.  The Bucs extending David helps him out here.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/9/2021 at 5:00 PM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I pray that Beane nails the 21 draft. It’s too bad to see Milano chase the money as opposed to winning a Super Bowl but with his injury history I can understand why he wants to be paid

Have we even made him an offer?  He can’t sign what we don’t offer

I would like to see us keep Milano but I have a feeling he will end up in Miami

On 3/10/2021 at 8:43 AM, dbfla10 said:

I am going to put this right up there with my dumbest comment list. Why in gods name would they rework his contract if they did not want him? with us having cap issues you take what you can get and Morse represents a solid trusted force at C.

33 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I am going to put this right up there with my dumbest comment list. Why in gods name would they rework his contract if they did not want him? with us having cap issues you take what you can get and Morse represents a solid trusted force at C.

what are you talking about? what does Morse have to do with my comment.  I am talking about Milano... Now whose comment looks dumb.