Will McDermott surpass Marv Levy as best Bills coach of all time?

Will McDermott surpass Marv Levy as best Bills coach of all time?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Will McDermott surpass Marv Levy as best Bills coach of all time?

• Yes
    • No

Pump the brakes there, cowboy. Look, I LOVE Coach McDermott. I love his leadership style. I love how he cares for his team. I love the way he does things. Don't get me wrong.

But Marv got the team to 4 straight bowls, 3 after losing the previous. It's really quite amazing when you think about it. McD has a ways to go before he's at that level. That's an historic level. McD has been to one AFC Championship game. 

If McD wins ONE SB, he will be royalty in Buffalo, and he'd deserve it. He will have taken a perennial loser and in a few years won a SB. Let's wait to see. I'm very hopeful, but let's pump the brakes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

112-70 Regular Season

11-8 Playoffs

4 Consecutive AFC Titles 

Going to be hard to beat unless McD wins it all. That being said, he would be immortal in Buffalo if he brings a championship home and would definitely overtake Levy in the court of public opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Yeah, and Marv also threw two TD’s & seven picks in those four games too ;)

I would say he was out coached in the first two and the team was entirely outmatched in both Cowboys losses.

Either way, it’s history, and it’s very tough to compare different eras thirty years apart.

We should have beat the Giants, I think we had a shot in the second Cowboys game too. 

• Like (+1) 2

No need to bash Marv here. 15 years ago in my early 20s I was on the old BBMB I started to hold a resentment against Marv with the perceived lack of control and partying before Super Bowls. But ya know what, that's on the players. Blame them. Marv is an incredible human being and we are lucky to still have him gracing our planet. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

It was before my time but wouldn't Saban be considered a better coach than Levy? He did coach the Bills to back to back AFL championships in 64 and 65.

More importantly, my mom used to play bridge with his wife and did pretty well.  Mrs Saban was just an adequate bridge player.   :)

Marv was special. He was a great motivator, a wise man and a leader of men, but he wasn’t a great commander or schemer. He let the HUGE personalities of those teams ride over him and we let some rings get away. Not all four, but one or two. 

I believe McD would have reined those guys in and given a more focused game. 

Times change, and we will never be able to keep those guys together like that again. Hard to compare during the different eras. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

I think McDermott will go down statically as the best coach we have ever had. It just won't be all his doing though. He has a really good GM who seems to be on the same page as McDermott. But the biggest reason will be #17, who I think will be the best QB in the league over the next decade or more. 

• Like (+1) 1

Marv is HOF.  He was the right coach for those 4 teams.  He ran into 4 teams that had OLs that were the best in NFL at that time.  Rock beats scissors.  Plus Bruce should’ve stripped that ball in end zone.  

9 minutes ago, The Governor said:

They’re in the HOF for beating Marv like a rented mule.

The Bills always beat each of those teams either in the same season or the very next one, so we know it was certainly always possible to have won in the SB as well; the Bills’ overall record against the NFC during this run was actually quite good IIRC. Not coincidentally, if you watch the games back, other than the Washington SB, the Bills had opportunities galore to take control of any of the other 3 games, and let those chances just slip away. The 52-17 game is a prime example (Bills block a punt, score early, and were on the doorstep for more before Ken Norton Jr cheap shotted Kelly’s knee out of the game). But aside from all that, how the Bills got up off the mat season after season to climb that mountain again is a true testament to Levy’s abilities. 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Jeez, I was wondering when someone was going to finally get some off-season discussions flowing over here...

You’re such a wisears.  Probably one of the reasons I like you’re posts.  He’s bored.  That’s all.  Levy was a good coach and a better guy, but not a great coach.  I don’t think he could’ve done much about the last three SB’s as those teams were just better than us.  The Giants one was a sin.  I just moved to Tampa a few days before the game.  It was so painful being across the street at the Tampa mall with 15,000 other folks.  The local radio station similar to 97 rock in Buffalo put a movie screen on the side of Macy’s.  They had vans with monster radio speakers.  I had the unfortunate luck of being with friends who were all for the Giants.  Ughh!

McD will probably end up as the top Bills coach someday, but not today.  To the OP, this will be a great conversation for us to have in seven years or so.  I have a great deal of confidence he will get us past the finish line, and may end up the winningest coach in Bills history, and he does have something in his corner.  Beane like Polian will go down as one of the best GM’s we’ve ever had, and like Polian has a vision for what he sees for our team.

• Like (+1) 1