TBD's fave Wyatt Teller in the news

20 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Absolutely, people who shoot endangered species for trophies - the best I can say is "I don't get it".  But deer in the suburbs in America are like dandelions, pretty in the abstract but a nuisance to your garden. 

Wild boar and alligators are a dangerous over-population problem.

I don't know about moose but I could see them being over-populated in some areas.

And of course, ultimately over-populated prey species suffer because Mom Nature takes care of the population through starvation and disease.

Well, wild boar have something called "boar taint" which gives a very strong taste to the meat

https://www.boartaint.com/en/what-is-boartaint.aspx

Your not supposed to eat that spot ;)

Its funny though when ever you see lions eat one of the first spots they go for is the taint ;) 

On 3/9/2021 at 2:46 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

I am not a hunter but the people who get mad at hunters are annoying as hell.  

The only people who have any right to be upset with hunters are vegans, who you then proceed to ignore.

I now live in central Florida and yes they are everywhere. Darn near every round of golf you will come across one now. My experience so far are they are harmless. You leave them alone and they leave you alone. But they are a wild animal and if they are hungry they ain’t going to the local Publix for groceries. When I see them on the course they are normally just sunbathing with their mouths open. Which apparently isn’t a sign of aggression, it’s just what they do, but you certainly gain an immediate respect for it. 

ive hunted legally since I’ve been 16 and obviously support the endeavor. It’s impressive he managed to sling a 200 lb animal,over his shoulders and walk it out. I’ve never been a fan of social media for anything and I don’t know why people post things - I also know his fiancé did it and he wasn’t looking for the attention so whatever. 

anyways right before I moved here in 2016 a family was vacationing on Disney property. Want to say it was at the Swan / Dolphin hotel. The husband and wife were walking along the beach of an inland lake (for some reason they always call a body of water a lake here) with a few young children in tow. They decided to go knee deep in the water when a gator laying in wait ate the 3 year old. So yes they can be dangerous. And as someone else in this thread said you always assume a gator is in the water. 

if they aren’t hunted and allowed the population to explode because they have few natural predators, they would become a much bigger problem. Google the python issue in the Everglades as proof. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Blazman11 said:

I now live in central Florida and yes they are everywhere. Darn near every round of golf you will come across one now. My experience so far are they are harmless. You leave them alone and they leave you alone. But they are a wild animal and if they are hungry they ain’t going to the local Publix for groceries. When I see them on the course they are normally just sunbathing with their mouths open. Which apparently isn’t a sign of aggression, it’s just what they do, but you certainly gain an immediate respect for it. 

ive hunted legally since I’ve been 16 and obviously support the endeavor. It’s impressive he managed to sling a 200 lb animal,over his shoulders and walk it out. I’ve never been a fan of social media for anything and I don’t know why people post things - I also know his fiancé did it and he wasn’t looking for the attention so whatever. 

anyways right before I moved here in 2016 a family was vacationing on Disney property. Want to say it was at the Swan / Dolphin hotel. The husband and wife were walking along the beach of an inland lake (for some reason they always call a body of water a lake here) with a few young children in tow. They decided to go knee deep in the water when a gator laying in wait ate the 3 year old. So yes they can be dangerous. And as someone else in this thread said you always assume a gator is in the water. 

if they aren’t hunted and allowed the population to explode because they have few natural predators, they would become a much bigger problem. Google the python issue in the Everglades as proof. 

Right, it’s a gator in Florida, I just assume it’s like deer season up here. It’s necassary to thin the herd a bit so they don’t over populate.

The only thing I’ll say is, I hope he cleans and eats it. I have no issues with hunting to put food on your table. I hate hunting for the sake of getting ahead mounted on your mantle, and the rest goes to waste. 

On a similar note, Old Forge has had bear issues on and off over the years. Especially in the years after they closed down the dumps. Anytime a bear broke into a car, there’d be a push for rangers to come and track and kill it. We had a place up there for years, and still head up regularly to camp. The solution to bears breaking into your car, or camp, or hurting your dog, is to not go and hang out in the bears home. It should be an assumed risk. For years there was a bear that would eat out of a dumpster at a bar on 4th lake, then swim across to Alger Island, do a lap around the sites, and then swim back. Things are getting tough up there for bears. I was hiking a few years ago, and a guy out his pack down to go grab some water. A very skinny mom and cubs popped out and tore it up about 20 feet away from us. We were on a trail and had no idea they were near by. Black bears almost always keep their distance unless they are in a world of hurt for food.  

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

Weird, the same people that approve of alligator hunting because an "okay" has been granted, will be out for blood if you kick a Labrador. 

Strange world, indeed.

Huh? One is animal abuse (against the law) and one is legally hunting a predator. Yes, strange world with these laws we have... 

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

Weird, the same people that approve of alligator hunting because an "okay" has been granted, will be out for blood if you kick a Labrador. 

Strange world, indeed.

It's really not that strange. Gators are ugly, dangerous and tasty. Labradors are cool and nice.