Go get this guy!!! (Kyle Long returning)

1 hour ago, glazeduck said:

He's Howie Long's son/Chris Long's brother, sooooo... I'm guessing he doesn't need the money. 

These are both lazy takes. Obviously any team signing him is going to do their due diligence on his health, so yes, clearly that's a hurdle for him to clear, but -- to my original point -- if he clears those hurdles, he's a 3x pro-bowl player at a position of need who will likely come at a discount...

There are plenty of examples of guys coming back to play more for the money than really wanting to play. I dont know if that is the case here, but just because he is a Long does not make him not want money. 

We do know: He had a ton of injuries which was the reason he retired. He started playing golf. He worked in the broadcast booth. He has said he will never play again. He said retiring was one of the easiest decisions he ever made. He has a ton of other interests. 

Maybe: He is bored. Needs money. Misses the game and wants to play. Wants to prove people wrong. 

4 hours ago, glazeduck said:

"Way too long"??? He played in 2019. He took a year off to get healthy.

He's Howie Long's son/Chris Long's brother, sooooo... I'm guessing he doesn't need the money. 

These are both lazy takes. Obviously any team signing him is going to do their due diligence on his health, so yes, clearly that's a hurdle for him to clear, but -- to my original point -- if he clears those hurdles, he's a 3x pro-bowl player at a position of need who will likely come at a discount...

Legit, NO difference than all the Covid opt outs.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, glazeduck said:

"Way too long"??? He played in 2019. He took a year off to get healthy.

huh?

On 3/9/2021 at 3:10 PM, ngbills said:

Hasnt played 16 games since 2015. My bet is he needs the money and will be shocked if he stays healthy enough to play in 4 games. 

You think Howie Long's son is hurting for money? Just want to make sure I'm understanding what your theory is.

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would welcome any Long on this team. Howie and his wife raised awesome kids. Instead of being entitled d bags, they are genuinely doing this to make the world better. Awesome dudes. 

That wasn't always the case with Kyle. After high school he had quite a rough patch.

Glad to see him straighten it things out.

That is "the only factual information you have to go off"?

Let me throw in some more:

2015 Age 27 16 games played

2016 Age 28 8 games played

2017 Age 29 10 games played

2018 Age 30 8 games played

2019 Age 31 4 games played

2020 Age 32 0 games played

In the last five years, he's been healthy for 37.5% of his games. Throw out last year when he took the year off and in the four years when he was last trying to play, he was able to play in 46.8% of his games. And he's older now.

Doctors can tell you what kind of shape a guy is in. They can't tell you with much accuracy whether he will get injured again next year even if he's healthy right now. You can bet the doctors told the Bears each of those years that there was a good solid chance he'd be healthy the whole season.

I'd need a lot more than a discount to bring him in. I'd need a really carefully constructed contract that let us almost completely off the hook in case of injury. Presumably that would mean small salary and a bunch of incentives. Not sure how thrilled Long would be about that.

Edited by Thurman#1

He’s 32 and took a year off.  I wouldn’t write off Ford yet.  He had one season and was moved back and forth out of necessity from RT to G.  He was a natural G in HS and college.  They were placing a square peg into a round hole.  It wasn’t fair to him.  If they went ahead and just slotted him at G, he may have had a better 2019.  Now if in 2021, he plays strictly at LG and loses the starting job fine.  I’m guessing he will steadily improve all year and he is still cheap labor.

Thats much better than bringing in a 32 yr old player that could get hurt again.  This is not a great year for players over 30.

3 hours ago, jlgarsh said:

You think Howie Long's son is hurting for money? Just want to make sure I'm understanding what your theory is.

Not all rich fathers support their kids. And that's for good reason. There's a lot of evidence showing that supported kids of rich fathers are spoiled and unsuccessful shockingly often.

Check Kevin O'Leary and his relationships with his kids if you want an example. And he is very very far from being alone.

You can't assume that a guy doesn't want money because of his family, you just can't.

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

He’s 32 and took a year off.  I wouldn’t write off Ford yet.  He had one season and was moved back and forth out of necessity from RT to G.  He was a natural G in HS and college.  They were placing a square peg into a round hole.  It wasn’t fair to him.  If they went ahead and just slotted him at G, he may have had a better 2019.  Now if in 2021, he plays strictly at LG and loses the starting job fine.  I’m guessing he will steadily improve all year and he is still cheap labor.

Thats much better than bringing in a 32 yr old player that could get hurt again.  This is not a great year for players over 30.

Cody Ford is going to surprise alot of people this year.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, sherpa said:

That wasn't always the case with Kyle. After high school he had quite a rough patch.

Glad to see him straighten it things out.

I actually looked it up and didn’t realize that stuff. Thanks for info. Sounds like he had to get some of the knucklehead out of his system but seems to have his head on straight. 

35 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I actually looked it up and didn’t realize that stuff. Thanks for info. Sounds like he had to get some of the knucklehead out of his system but seems to have his head on straight. 

Ya.

My kids were about the same age as Chris and Kyle, and I sat next to or close to Howie and Diane many times at many high school baseball games.

I also had a small airplane at the time and I would talk to him occasionally before and after his trips to LA for the football pre-game show.

He had a ratty old Sabreliner and we used to talk about it.

FAA number was N75HL.  (75 was his number and HL his initials).

Registered to his LLC called "My Three Sons."

He's since upgraded.

Kyle was on the baseball track, then went to Florida State on a baseball scholarship.

Forgot about the "school" part of college and was out before he threw his first pitch.

Came home and got into a few typical college aged kid scrapes, alcohol underage, and a DWI.

Then got his stuff together, went to the west coast and straightened out, concentrating on football and re-inventing himself.

Great to see it all worked out.

Edited by sherpa
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Cody Ford is going to surprise alot of people this year.

If he plays RT and well then yes.

If he plays G and well then no.

The guy is a natural guard and could be the best guard Buffalo has had in several years. The problem is MCD is so set on putting him at RT.

All for this, was hoping we could draft him so im in !

On 3/9/2021 at 2:28 PM, Logic said:

It hurts my soul that the Bills took Cody Ford instead of Elgton Jenkins and also traded Wyatt Teller away.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but the Bills could easily have the best young guard duo in the game, and on cheap rookie deals.

Dont know what happened to Teller getting traded but i thought it was a mistake, maybe they thought he was Ritchie jr ( which was just fine in my book)