The Best of the AFL

There’s football, pro football and the NFL. Then, there was the American Football League, where we got our start. We made the playoffs 4 times in the decade long league, including 3 title games, winning 2. But we weren’t one of the 2 best in a league so strong, deep & talented, the stogy NFL had to merge with us. 

The 2 best teams were Kansas City and Oakland and this is an NFL Films classic featuring their League dominance. Narrated by the very best ever, John Facenda.

All you kiddie table neophytes born in the late 60’s and later, this likely holds little interest for you. But we wouldn’t be meeting here daily to discuss our team if they weren’t part of it.

For all the old timers, Enjoy!

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

We can’t all be old coots like you Chandman. 😜.  Thanks for sharing pal.  I love those old NFL  Films presents stuff.  That guy had the best voice for those films.

My dad is 90 and he even remembers the first Buffalo Bills in the 40’s before he went off to Korea.  I asked him if he’s so old he went in for the naming contest is 46.  Needless to say, I can’t tell you how he replied as this is a family friendly board.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Some of the officiating was horrid in that game.  Taylor’s big 3rd down catch was clearly OB, and the PI call on the Raiders after that was nonsense.

Just goes to show not much has changed in 50 years!

What an atrocious 4th quarter for Lamonica.

Edited by eball
  • Haha (+1) 1

The great John Facenda and you can almost hear Curt Gowdy, Al DeRogatis, Jim Simpson, Charlie Jones and others calling the action.

Al Davis wanted the AFL and the NFL to come to peace but he also wanted the leagues to remain separate, similar to MLB.  I sometimes wish that was the case; there's a lot of good history in the AFL.

• Like (+1) 2

The first 4 Super Bowls were the best. The leagues despised each other. Players for the AFL attended the super bowl not to hawk products but to root for the AFL. Vince Lombardi openly mocked the AFL. When the Jets beat the Colts it was the AFL beat the NFL and the Chiefs put the frosting on the cake dominating the Vikings. It was great being a different league right down to using a different football.

I do miss the AFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

6 hours ago, eball said:

Some of the officiating was horrid in that game.  Taylor’s big 3rd down catch was clearly OB, and the PI call on the Raiders after that was nonsense.

Just goes to show not much has changed in 50 years!

What a horrid 4th quarter for Lamonica.

Yeah, no. Many rules have changed over the years. At the time, receivers only had to have 1 foot in bounds aka college. Also all the late hits, head slaps, horse collar tackles and gladiator style padding/equipment -none of which are allowed today.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Cantankeous said:

Yeah, no. Many rules have changed over the years. At the time, receivers only had to have 1 foot in bounds aka college. Also all the late hits, head slaps, horse collar tackles and gladiator style padding/equipment -none of which are allowed today.

God if they kept those rules, someone would be dead today.  Deacon Jones one year if they calculated sacks was speculated to have 36 I think in a 14 game season.  Crazy thing is he caused the NFL to stop the ear slap given how many injuries he caused.

I know people romanticize the bad old days, but the game is safer to a degree than it was back at that time.  Guys are just too big and powerful vs. in the 60’s.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I wonder how well the NFL/AFL archives are kept? I worked on a sports documentary and our team had worked with the NBA's archive and a lot of games from the 50's through the 70's and even a bit into the 80's are just outright missing. I know football has a lot less games so I wonder if they were more willing to have those games taped. 

Sadly, not very well. They copied over the 1st Super Bowl and the IV Chiefs/Vikings. Recently, a group tried to resurrect IV from a black & white coverage mixing in color highlights. It’s kinda lame but it’s the only thing left. 

NFL Films used real (reel) film for their efforts so they remain pristine.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sadly, not very well. They copied over the 1st Super Bowl and the IV Chiefs/Vikings. Recently, a group tried to resurrect IV from a black & white coverage mixing in color highlights. It’s kinda lame but it’s the only thing left. 

I actually watched a bit of this version of Super Bowl IV a couple of weeks back that I stumbled across on YouTube...fair to say that the half time show at the SB has come a long way in the past 50 years... 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I wonder how well the NFL/AFL archives are kept? I worked on a sports documentary and our team had worked with the NBA's archive and a lot of games from the 50's through the 70's and even a bit into the 80's are just outright missing. I know football has a lot less games so I wonder if they were more willing to have those games taped. 

You know the crazy thing they put out in NFLR and NFLN last year is no one has complete footage of SB#1.  I believe it was called the world championship.  They had to piece it together from multiple sources.  Wow, has the league changed.  Chandler is always such a great historian reminding us of our roots in this league.

Keep it up Chand.  I think it’s a great service fir the younger generation here in this board.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Great topic! I am dating myself here but my first solid memory of the team was the 1963 AFL championship game lost to the, then, New England Pats*. They had Babe Parelli at QB and a young LB named Bonaconti (sp?). I was 10 years old at the time

I remember watching the iconic Mike Stratton hit on Keith Lincoln in the 1964 game on my old black-and-white TV when I was a kid growing up in Niagara Falls.

Been a diehard fan ever since. The rest, as they say, is history.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

You know the crazy thing they put out in NFLR and NFLN last year is no one has complete footage of SB#1.  I believe it was called the world championship.  They had to piece it together from multiple sources.  Wow, has the league changed.  Chandler is always such a great historian reminding us of our roots in this league.

Keep it up Chand.  I think it’s a great service fir the younger generation here in this board.

I told my dad that if he watched a basketball game in the 1970's and it wasn't a playoff game then there is a 95% chance that game is no longer on tape. And if watched a late 60's game 99.5% chance it was gone to time. I wonder how well football in the AFL and NFL is preserved? I would imagine that not many games survive from the 60's and before. And the games that survived in the 70's and early 80's is limited. That's not limited to sports either. Tapes were super expensive and media companies just didn't have the money for preservation so a lot of stuff would just get taped over. It wasn't until the late 70's that tape costs started to really come down and we saw a much improved line of preservation.