Micah Hyde recruiting pitch

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/08/micah-hyde-if-you-dont-want-to-be-in-buffalo-dont-come/

“They’re going on visits and I’d be like, ‘Hey man, come to Buffalo.’ They’d be like, ‘I’m cool. I’m gonna go somewhere else,'” Hyde said, via Matt Parrino of NewYorkUpstate.com. “Well you know what? At the end of the day I bet they’re pretty pissed off they didn’t take those visits to Buffalo. Now they’re probably sitting on their trash team or sitting on the couch somewhere else because they didn’t come to Buffalo.”

You go Micah!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Any guesses as to who he was talking about?

When Cleveland released Kirksey (college teammate and roomate IIRC), he was trying to recruit him, but it's not like the Packers were an unattractive destination either. Otherwise, I have no idea

But between him, Tre, Diggs, and (presumably) Josh - and then some - there's definitely lots of ambassadors for this team and I'm sure vets will be more than happy to listen

Edited by JimKellyTryouts

Before the Pegulas stated to improve the facilities and invest in the football operations it was hard to pitch Buffalo. It has two strikes against it being a cold weather not so glamorous city stuck with high state taxes. But then you add in the lackluster cheap ownership (sorry Ralph) and what is the pitch besides money or playing time? 

So now the team actually has state of the art facilities, an ownership group willing to spend on bonuses and to the cap, and a well respected coach and young dynamic QB. It is a lot easier to sell Buffalo.

Also Hyde might be one of the best if not the best free agency signing of all time for the Bills. 4 years so far of Pro Bowl or near Pro Bowl production and reasonable to think he can provide 1 to 3 more years at that level.

Hard to find total value better than that.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Before the Pegulas stated to improve the facilities and invest in the football operations it was hard to pitch Buffalo. It has two strikes against it being a cold weather not so glamorous city stuck with high state taxes. But then you add in the lackluster cheap ownership (sorry Ralph) and what is the pitch besides money or playing time? 

So now the team actually has state of the art facilities, an ownership group willing to spend on bonuses and to the cap, and a well respected coach and young dynamic QB. It is a lot easier to sell Buffalo.

Also Hyde might be one of the best if not the best free agency signing of all time for the Bills. 4 years so far of Pro Bowl or near Pro Bowl production and reasonable to think he can provide 1 to 3 more years at that level.

Hard to find total value better than that.

Hyde is a very solid player, but I'm not sure if he is in the realm of best free agency signings of all time. In fact, I think Poyer was a better signing. Poyer was an unknown talent. And I think Poyer has been an overall more impactful player than Hyde.

Some other all-time free agency signings:

- Lorenzo Alexander

- London Fletcher

- Doug Flutie (this will make our resident Flutie haters mad)

- Bryce Paup

- Ted Washington

- Mario Williams (even though he received a monster contract, he was elite for like 3 years)

- James Lofton

- Takeo Spikes

Poyer and Hyde have to be in the conversation, though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

And that just illustrates the problems the Bills have in recruiting players.  It doesn't matter how well the team is doing...it's still Buffalo to many of them.

Sounded more like the past since he was talking about those guys "Sitting on their trash teams or sitting in the couch b.c they didn't come to Buffalo"

Edited by TBBills

Just now, TBBills said:

Sounded more like the past since he was talking about those guys "Sitting on their trash teams or sitting in the couch b.c they didn't come to Buffalo"

Well he first arrived in 2017 and they made the playoffs that year. 

42 minutes ago, Doc said:

And that just illustrates the problems the Bills have in recruiting players.  It doesn't matter how well the team is doing...it's still Buffalo to many of them.

I don’t think the Bills will have a problem recruiting players looking to play for a contender this year.

I have always wondered how much of an impact the different aspects of cities have on the players they attract and deter though.

A case can certainly be made that cities like Miami and LA can attract players who are more concerned with the off the field lifestyle than team success.  It sure looked like Mario Williams took that Miami contract in order to semi-retire.  I think a lot of different cities have their own pitfalls and challenges.  One thing is for sure though, a winning culture sure helps you get good players at more reasonable rates. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well he first arrived in 2017 and they made the playoffs that year. 

Yea but look at who the QB was...

11 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t think the Bills will have a problem recruiting players looking to play for a contender this year.

I have always wondered how much of an impact the different aspects of cities have on the players they attract and deter though.

A case can certainly be made that cities like Miami and LA can attract players who are more concerned with the off the field lifestyle than team success.  It sure looked like Mario Williams took that Miami contract in order to semi-retire.  I think a lot of different cities have their own pitfalls and challenges.  One thing is for sure though, a winning culture sure helps you get good players at more reasonable rates. 

With Watt it came down to us and Cards... He chose money but was still thinking about chasing that trophy even for a little bit

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Hyde is a very solid player, but I'm not sure if he is in the realm of best free agency signings of all time. In fact, I think Poyer was a better signing. Poyer was an unknown talent. And I think Poyer has been an overall more impactful player than Hyde.

Some other all-time free agency signings:

- Lorenzo Alexander

- London Fletcher

- Doug Flutie (this will make our resident Flutie haters mad)

- Bryce Paup

- Ted Washington

- Mario Williams (even though he received a monster contract, he was elite for like 3 years)

- James Lofton

- Takeo Spikes

Poyer and Hyde have to be in the conversation, though.

In terms of length and total value of production you can argue Hyde and Poyer especially if they can give you 2 more years of quality production which is possible.

To run down your list

Spikes - Loved him but he was great for just 2 years before getting hurt and being gone after 3 seasons. Peak value goes to Spikes but hard to argue that total value wouldn’t go to Hyde/Poyer.

Lorax - Had one great year and then 3 solid ones but fell far from his pro bowl level into a nice role player. Peak performance I would give a slight edge to Lorax but a huge edge in total value to Hyde/Poyer. 

Bryce Paup- Was only here for 3 years but had an amazing 1995 although his sack totals went drastically down the next 2 years he still made the Pro Bowl all 3 years he played. He is a little before my time so I would defer to a more veteran fan so to how good he was in 96 and 97 as that would hinge total value.

James Lofton - 3 really good seasons out of 4 years he was here. Definitely debatable.

Mario Williams - Mario had 1 great year (2014) and 1 good year (2013) and 1 Ok year (2012) before flaming out. I would give total value to Hyde and Poyer. 

Ted Washington- This has to be my pick for the best free agency acquisition of all time for the Bills. 6 seasons with great peak value. Would easily have to see Hyde and Poyer play 3 more seasons at their current levels to get into the total value conversation with Ted.

Flutie ~ Never an elite Qb when here I would take Hyde/Poyer.

London - Started 5 seasons several years as a really good player. I would put this as a push for total value and a slight edge in peak value for Hyde and Poyer.

I would say the Hyde Poyer signings fall right up there with best all time signings. Behind Ted who is the only one head and shoulders above