The Athletic: How TE targets can fit with the Bills

https://theathletic.com/2434701/2021/03/08/bills-tight-end-targets-hunter-henry-zach-ertz-could-be-candidates/

This article provides a good breakdown of the strengths and weaknesses of the main 6 tight end options that are often discussed, talks about how they'd fit schematically in the Bills offense, and if it makes sense financially (and also trade-wise in a couple instances).

TLDR:

• He doesn't think we should bother chasing Jonnu Smith or Gerald Everett; they won't cost much less than Hunter Henry and Hunter Henry is both significantly better and also a much better fit, so if Beane wants to commit good money to the position, Henry should be the guy. Downside is it would probably cost us a comp pick.
  • He thinks trading a Day 3 pick for Ertz is easily worth it and thinks Ertz' contract and schematic fit are exactly what Buffalo is likely looking for. If it ends up being a Day 2 pick, he'd pass.
  • Basically the same goes for Cam Brate except it would definitely be a Day 3 pick if he isn't released.
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Thanks for posting man! Also a massive SU fan (I was raised in Buffalo, but was born in Syracuse and basically all of my extended family lives there and went to SU). Loved CJ Fair, miss some of those dominant teams. Seems like another year of bubble watch again this season, but hopefully we can at least beat NC State coming up.

Anyways, back to the Bills, did you see why the writer thought Henry was a much better schematic fit than the other top guys? And can anyone reassure me about his injury issues? I like the player a lot, but I'm just worried about his availability.

Cam Brate is a sneaky name I haven't heard mentioned a lot...interesting

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Thanks for posting man! Also a massive SU fan (I was raised in Buffalo, but was born in Syracuse and basically all of my extended family lives there and went to SU). Loved CJ Fair, miss some of those dominant teams. Seems like another year of bubble watch again this season, but hopefully we can at least beat NC State coming up.

Anyways, back to the Bills, did you see why the writer thought Henry was a much better schematic fit than the other top guys? And can anyone reassure me about his injury issues? I like the player a lot, but I'm just worried about his availability.

Yeah, definitely seems like Syracuse has taken a downturn since the end of the old Big East.

As for the tight ends, here's an excerpt regarding Henry's fit with the Bills:

From an on-field standpoint, Henry is exactly what the Bills are looking for in a free-agent tight end. He has the versatility to line up in the backfield, split out wide and attach to the offensive line. His age also signals he’s entering the prime of his career so that he can be their starter through the entire length of the contract. Henry can work with other tight ends in 12 personnel while soaking up a lot of offensive snaps, which works into the Bills’ offensive identity. After the season, Beane pointed to blocking from the tight ends as part of the reason the Bills couldn’t run the ball effectively in 2020. Henry is a great blocker who can immediately help the poor run blocking situation while also giving them the type of receiver that can challenge a defense.

Brate is someone whose horn I've personally been tooting the past two offseasons now. His contract is great (6-7 mil per year for the next 3 years and $0 guaranteed), he has some of the best hands in the league, and he just has a knack for creating separation/finding openings in defenses. He's not a great blocker but he's okay; he'd be an upgrade over Knox for sure in that regard.

I think Brate may end up being a cap casualty as the Bucs try to bring all their free agents back, but given how team-friendly his contract is, I'd offer them a late pick to take him off their hands. Beane has worked with their front office on trades before so there's already a relationship there for them to get this done. To me, it's the ideal move at tight end (and I think I said the same this time last year as well).

• Thank you (+1) 1

Dont know enough of Henrys injury history to be definitive, but i think a nice TE could serve as a nice add to the short yardage we miss from the RBs.  Especially if our OL doesnt end up changing much, or we draft to develop.  Keeps our good pass blockers in place and buys us more time to sort through that for more well rounded OL

If it comes down to a question of money, I prefer cutting John Brown, drafting a speedy+reliable hands WR and using some of the saved money to get ourselves a good, veteran TE while we give Knox one last season to prove himself

41 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Brate is someone whose horn I've personally been tooting the past two offseasons now. His contract is great (6-7 mil per year for the next 3 years and $0 guaranteed), he has some of the best hands in the league, and he just has a knack for creating separation/finding openings in defenses. He's not a great blocker but he's okay; he'd be an upgrade over Knox for sure in that regard.

TMI

• Haha (+1) 2

Having a TE is good, but I feel like folks are making too much out of it.

Media types not talking about our issues at CB2, and cover LB with Milano all but set to walk on out of here.  We had a top O without a stud TE, we will manage.

2 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

I've been saying trade for Brate for 2 years. Last year might have been the year if OJ Howard didn't get hurt. 

1 minute ago, bouds said:

Media types not talking about our issues at CB2, and cover LB with Milano all but set to walk on out of here.  We had a top O without a stud TE, we will manage.

It's because Beane talked about it. I always viewed what Beane said as more of a call out to Knox. I mean there were multiple positions we didn't get a lot out of, RB, DE, DT, and TE. I wouldn't be shocked if they don't go big at TE. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, bouds said:

Both SB teams this year had hall of fame TEs.  I don't think that a complete coincidence.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

Both SB teams this year had hall of fame TEs.  I don't think that a complete coincidence.  

Actually is a complete coincidence, what else would eat being seeing how rare Hall of Fame TEs are, plenty of teams get to and win the SB without a stud TE.

All I'm saying is that we have bigger fish to fry. 

Edited by bouds

24 minutes ago, bouds said:

Actually is a complete coincidence, what else would eat being seeing how rare Hall of Fame TEs are, plenty of teams get to and win the SB without a stud TE.

All I'm saying is that we have bigger fish to fry. 

I think you underestimate how important a good TE is.  The last 5 SBs had the following TEs playing:

Gronkowski vs Kelce

Kelce vs Kittle

Gronkowski vs Higbee

Ertz vs Gronkowski

Gronkowski vs Hooper

That is not exactly a list of average TEs.  One of those TEs has not been in a pro bowl. (Higbee probably should have made it in 2019)

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

https://theathletic.com/2434701/2021/03/08/bills-tight-end-targets-hunter-henry-zach-ertz-could-be-candidates/

This article provides a good breakdown of the strengths and weaknesses of the main 6 tight end options that are often discussed, talks about how they'd fit schematically in the Bills offense, and if it makes sense financially (and also trade-wise in a couple instances).

TLDR:

• He doesn't think we should bother chasing Jonnu Smith or Gerald Everett; they won't cost much less than Hunter Henry and Hunter Henry is both significantly better and also a much better fit, so if Beane wants to commit good money to the position, Henry should be the guy. Downside is it would probably cost us a comp pick.
  • He thinks trading a Day 3 pick for Ertz is easily worth it and thinks Ertz' contract and schematic fit are exactly what Buffalo is likely looking for. If it ends up being a Day 2 pick, he'd pass.
  • Basically the same goes for Cam Brate except it would definitely be a Day 3 pick if he isn't released.

Just a quick reminder for me:  is it just rounds 2 and 3 on Day 2?  Or is it 2-4?

As I read that article  and would read the write up on a player, I thought this is the guy they should go after, till I got to the next player, then thought this is the guy!

They all have their pluses and minuses.  I'm thinking they will go after one that provides strong blocking.

On 3/8/2021 at 9:47 AM, chknwing334 said:

and the year before that its was Kittle v Kelcie....people like to dismiss the importance of having a quality TE because the Bills have never had one in their entire history. Knox is just another in a very long line of mediocre TE's for Buffalo. If by some act of God we traded up for Pitts, I'd guarantee you we'd win multiple Super Bowls.