H.R. 1 And The Fight For Voting Rights -- We The People!

4 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

Most people living pay check to paycheck don’t waste cash on alcohol.

Many people don’t have bank accounts. Look at how many stimulus checks had to go on government debit cards.

Again, people who are economically disadvantaged probably aren’t getting a loan.

Here’s a survey analysis that shows 25 percent of americans are unbanked or under banked: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/08/25percent-of-us-households-are-either-unbanked-or-underbanked.html

To address your hypothetical, is there any proof of that happening in recent history? If we went by the CO laws, the person would need to provide a utility bill or paycheck (neither allowed in GA) and that would show you’re not Joe Smith. Plus the penalty of several years in jail to get what, 5 votes is already a pretty big deterrent and probably one reason it’s extremely uncommon in modern voting.

sorry to jump in the conversation but its incredable how little people think can be accomplished by others. your friend in school how did she obtain a student id?  did she need to prove who she was to get into school first? did she have to get vaccinations as is required? how did the doctor admit her for those? rent a apartment out there? work full or part time. ect ect.

so many levels of self identification to get her to the point you speak of.

next argument. everyone has a god given right to vote. are you ok with republicans handing out guns? its litterally in our bill of rights..no id required,  thanks to your logic. ill assume that's a no. the standards changed now? why? right are rights and you have a strict standard for only one.

i know its america and we expect everything as convienent as humanly possable with amazon, drive thru, netflix but politics..yeah a basic hurdle or two is a not a bad thing. showing some incentive and competancy by doing the bare minimum by simply proving your a legal citizen that resides where you vote shouldn't be a argument from anyone. at this point you don't have to leave your house, vote absentee. you don't have to take off work, weekends  and hours are open. georgia even offers a free id! if you can identify yourself to obtain social services i really believe that people can achieve a voters ID.

so you have to really ask yourself what your fighting for here and why your willing to set the bar at its lowest possible height for people to make the most important decision in this country. 

if your honest, its because you want a side to have a advantage. democrats can easily help people obtain a ID if that is truley a issue. voting drives and campaigns are common where staff can help..i promise. then none of this matters to either side. why isn't that in the conversation? i think critical thinking americans know the answer to that. 

Edited by Buffarukus

25 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I regularly talk with several Democrats and one of them replied, after failing to justify thethe current party talking point...

He asked "why it was important to make sure only eligible people should vote? ...why limit this right to only citizens? "

i wonder how they would feel if americans went to canada and mexico in mass around election time and were able to vote for the person who was most pro american. since eligibility is not a requirment we can even come right back when we got who we wanted no questions asked. good old american imperialism. 

6 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

LAZY is the foundation base of the Democratic Party. REFUSAL TO EVOLVE SOCIALLY is the foundation base of the Republican Party. 

Someone please give me a party that taxes and spend like republicans pretend to and permit social freedoms like democrats pretend to. 

Libertarian-Party-Porcupine-USA-logo-vec

6 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Regarding your first statement. Many people are living paycheck to paycheck because of alcohol and many more make sure these is money in those slim checks for booze. 

Regarding the unbanked and underbanked. Those that are underbanked I assume have a bank account. Don’t they need ID to open the account?  Those that don’t bank?  Where does their money come from?  Govt assistance?  You need ID to apply for SNAP. 

Your point about loans is correct. 

Regarding my hypothetical?  No proof. That’s what makes it a hypothetical. 😁  But is it doable?  And if so would requiring an ID solve that? 

First comment is just a stereotype of poor people. Between that, your comment on flying, etc it doesn’t seem as you’ve ever interacted with such a community and are using your biases to make pre-determined decisions about a group of people.

There are plenty of ways to live without a bank account and receive money without a bank account. FDIC puts it at 7.1 million households who are unbanked: https://www.fdic.gov/analysis/household-survey/index.html

So if the households 1 person that’s at least 7.1 Americans who don’t need an ID. We’re not talking a huge percent of the US but it’s like 10 percent and GAO studies have found these strict ID laws can reduce turnout by 2-3 percent. Again, not a huge chunk of people but if an American wants to vote, then they should be able to vote.

Elderly on just social security is another larger group that don’t have a bank account as they can receive their payments through a debit card.

NPR has a great article on the elderly and how tough it can be for them to get an ID: https://www.npr.org/2018/09/07/644648955/for-older-voters-getting-the-right-id-can-be-especially-tough

Again, I’m not 100 percent against an ID law. I’m against ID laws that are either overly restrictive (GA and only allowing 6 forms of ID) or ones that clearly favor one party over another (TX allowing a conceal carry but not student ID, WI allowing active duty ID cards but no VA ID cards) 

I’ll point to Colorado’s voting laws since Republicans are flaunting how great they are since they’re “like” GA. 

Their major catch all is: “A copy of a current (within the last 60 days) utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the elector.” (You can find their full list here: https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/elections/vote/acceptableFormsOfID.html)

5 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

sorry to jump in the conversation but its incredable how little people think can be accomplished by others. your friend in school how did she obtain a student id?  did she need to prove who she was to get into school first? did she have to get vaccinations as is required? how did the doctor admit her for those? rent a apartment out there? work full or part time. ect ect.

so many levels of self identification to get her to the point you speak of.

next argument. everyone has a god given right to vote. are you ok with republicans handing out guns? its litterally in our bill of rights..no id required,  thanks to your logic. ill assume that's a no. the standards changed now? why? right are rights and you have a strict standard for only one.

i know its america and we expect everything as convienent as humanly possable with amazon, drive thru, netflix but politics..yeah a basic hurdle or two is a not a bad thing. showing some incentive and competancy by doing the bare minimum by simply proving your a legal citizen that resides where you vote shouldn't be a argument from anyone. at this point you don't have to leave your house, vote absentee. you don't have to take off work, weekends  and hours are open. georgia even offers a free id! if you can identify yourself to obtain social services i really believe that people can achieve a voters ID.

so you have to really ask yourself what your fighting for here and why your willing to set the bar at its lowest possible height for people to make the most important decision in this country. 

if your honest, its because you want a side to have a advantage. democrats can easily help people obtain a ID if that is truley a issue. voting drives and campaigns are common where staff can help..i promise. then none of this matters to either side. why isn't that in the conversation? i think critical thinking americans know the answer to that. 

Para 1: Free clinics and low income clinics typically need proof you reside in their area. So from her parents she could present ID similar to the Colorado ID requirement:  A copy of a current (within the last 60 days) utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the elector.

For work W-9 allows student ID and social security card, which would allow her to vote in CO but not in GA.

Para 2: You don’t seem to understand how the Constitution works. We have legal precedent on restricting gun ownership through interpretation of the Constitution in court case.  For example, in United States v. Cruikshank, 92 U.S. 542, 553 (1875), the Court stated that the Second Amendment “has no other effect than to restrict the powers of the national government,” and in Presser v. Illinois, 116 U.S. 252, 265 (1886), the Court reiterated that the Second Amendment “is a limitation only upon the power of Congress and the National government, and not upon that of the States.”

Constitutionally voter ID laws have been usually upheld but it doesn’t take away from the fact they are disadvantageous especially to poor Americans.

Para 3: As I’ve said on my position, the CO law that the right thinks is so similar to GA has an ID law that should be used nation-wide. CO has 13 forms of ID and a good catch-all that I provided above. It’s not overly restrictive and it’s a high enough hurdle to prove that they can vote where they are voting.

I put it in my last post but here’s a great read from NPR on how hard it is for elderly people to get ID: https://www.npr.org/2018/09/07/644648955/for-older-voters-getting-the-right-id-can-be-especially-tough (it even talks about a group helping them get IDs)

GA offers free IDs - 1) opportunity cost. A person getting the ID still needs to take time off a job to apply. 2) actual cost. Again reference the NPR article, you still need things like birth certificates to get the ID. Economically disadvantaged people are more likely not to have those documents and not to have the money to pay and get them. 3) cost of travel, again poor people may find the cost of a bus trip better used on things like food. You can read about the high cost of free IDs here:https://today.law.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/FullReportVoterIDJune20141.pdf

Free IDs are also not free for taxpayers. Indiana implemented a free voting ID and in a three year period cost the state over $13 million.Why should taxpayers pay for something like that when there has been no proven facts that it decreases voter fraud?

You really have to ask yourself what this boils down to. Republicans are trying to use a method that’s been statistically proven to decrease voting in a segment of America that typically doesn’t vote for them at the cost of American taxpayers. They’re not trying to fix voter fraud (which again is very far and few between).

When you boil it down to that, you’re supporting a party position that is specifically targeted at taking away the most fundamental right of being an American. To me, that doesn’t sound like the right side to be on.

5 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

Para 1: Free clinics and low income clinics typically need proof you reside in their area. So from her parents she could present ID similar to the Colorado ID requirement:  A copy of a current (within the last 60 days) utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the elector.

For work W-9 allows student ID and social security card, which would allow her to vote in CO but not in GA.

Para 2: You don’t seem to understand how the Constitution works. We have legal precedent on restricting gun ownership through interpretation of the Constitution in court case.  For example, in United States v. Cruikshank, 92 U.S. 542, 553 (1875), the Court stated that the Second Amendment “has no other effect than to restrict the powers of the national government,” and in Presser v. Illinois, 116 U.S. 252, 265 (1886), the Court reiterated that the Second Amendment “is a limitation only upon the power of Congress and the National government, and not upon that of the States.”

Constitutionally voter ID laws have been usually upheld but it doesn’t take away from the fact they are disadvantageous especially to poor Americans.

Para 3: As I’ve said on my position, the CO law that the right thinks is so similar to GA has an ID law that should be used nation-wide. CO has 13 forms of ID and a good catch-all that I provided above. It’s not overly restrictive and it’s a high enough hurdle to prove that they can vote where they are voting.

I put it in my last post but here’s a great read from NPR on how hard it is for elderly people to get ID: https://www.npr.org/2018/09/07/644648955/for-older-voters-getting-the-right-id-can-be-especially-tough (it even talks about a group helping them get IDs)

GA offers free IDs - 1) opportunity cost. A person getting the ID still needs to take time off a job to apply. 2) actual cost. Again reference the NPR article, you still need things like birth certificates to get the ID. Economically disadvantaged people are more likely not to have those documents and not to have the money to pay and get them. 3) cost of travel, again poor people may find the cost of a bus trip better used on things like food. You can read about the high cost of free IDs here:https://today.law.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/FullReportVoterIDJune20141.pdf

Free IDs are also not free for taxpayers. Indiana implemented a free voting ID and in a three year period cost the state over $13 million.Why should taxpayers pay for something like that when there has been no proven facts that it decreases voter fraud?

You really have to ask yourself what this boils down to. Republicans are trying to use a method that’s been statistically proven to decrease voting in a segment of America that typically doesn’t vote for them at the cost of American taxpayers. They’re not trying to fix voter fraud (which again is very far and few between).

When you boil it down to that, you’re supporting a party position that is specifically targeted at taking away the most fundamental right of being an American. To me, that doesn’t sound like the right side to be on.

first id like to thank you for your well thought out response. its what people need to do now adays instead of the typical deflections and insults.

my basic point about your friend is that she had to identify herself many times to get to the level of which you speak. for each example you seem to suggest, well she had to identify herself..but in a different way, its not "restrictive" like GA. i could easily take your position on the general premise of your arguments. 

she needed parents or bills or other forms of id to get vaccinated. your link on how many people do not have a bank account could easily also be a link on how alot of people are not in touch with their parents. dont put utilities in thier name. dont have social security cards ect ect. all the things that got her to being able to go to school or work in the first place. so is the school, clinic ect ect being restrictive to people who do not have those things? how low are we going when it comes to the standard of identifying oneself? there are homeless people who have mental illness out there but also have the god given right to vote. there is a line that can go up and down and the question to ask is Georgia somehow unfairly high?

you use CO as your standard for how high it should be. thats fine, each state is different and creates thier own standard. NY has higher guidlines for gun ownership and i can just as easily talk about how NY is restrictive of my RIGHT to bear arms and is unjustly excluding poor people that cannot afford extra classes, concealed carry permits ect ect. anything that requires more money or effort, court cases aside. not allowing residents to protect themselves is restricting my rights! its pretty easy to play that card and use other state laws in comparison. whichever is higher then becomes the one who is restrictive or as some say "racist". i think our sides have flipped yet i get no opportunity to own a gun if i am poor where georgians have other options, which you then say are too much. 

plain and simple. is GA asking for too much and purposefully excluding people of thier right to vote. i dont think so. the fact you have to find reasoning to exclude from the FREE ID offered while also bringing up the cost to the taxpayer is a pretty odd defense overall. 

at a time when the country is heavily divided and a election was a contentious as the last one, right or wrong. i will never be opposed to requiring more secure methods to prevent any accusations and anger as a concession as long as they ARE WITHIN REASON. nothing is stopping democrats from helping residents obtain a simple ID that the state is requesting for the next election. if thats to difficult a task for them I'm not sure what that means for them as a party seeing as multi millions are poured into campaigns every cycle. in return how do republicans help people with more secure elections? they have to create laws ahead of time. there is no action they can take like the democrats.

Edited by Buffarukus

10 hours ago, unbillievable said:

I will admit, that I don't want someone too lazy to get an ID to be able to vote.

It's a low bar, but I'm sticking to it.

What about a political party to lazy to get a majority so it’s tries to make it harder to vote? 

6 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

First comment is just a stereotype of poor people. Between that, your comment on flying, etc it doesn’t seem as you’ve ever interacted with such a community and are using your biases to make pre-determined decisions about a group of people.

There are plenty of ways to live without a bank account and receive money without a bank account. FDIC puts it at 7.1 million households who are unbanked: https://www.fdic.gov/analysis/household-survey/index.html

So if the households 1 person that’s at least 7.1 Americans who don’t need an ID. We’re not talking a huge percent of the US but it’s like 10 percent and GAO studies have found these strict ID laws can reduce turnout by 2-3 percent. Again, not a huge chunk of people but if an American wants to vote, then they should be able to vote.

Elderly on just social security is another larger group that don’t have a bank account as they can receive their payments through a debit card.

NPR has a great article on the elderly and how tough it can be for them to get an ID: https://www.npr.org/2018/09/07/644648955/for-older-voters-getting-the-right-id-can-be-especially-tough

Again, I’m not 100 percent against an ID law. I’m against ID laws that are either overly restrictive (GA and only allowing 6 forms of ID) or ones that clearly favor one party over another (TX allowing a conceal carry but not student ID, WI allowing active duty ID cards but no VA ID cards) 

I’ll point to Colorado’s voting laws since Republicans are flaunting how great they are since they’re “like” GA. 

Their major catch all is: “A copy of a current (within the last 60 days) utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the elector.” (You can find their full list here: https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/elections/vote/acceptableFormsOfID.html)

Regarding your first statement and alcohol.  It's not a stereotype of poor people it's a reality of people in general.

Ok you're points regarding poor people and my association with them are correct.  I don't hang with poor people and it's not by choice it's just the way it is. People are tribal.  I have no kids so most of my friends have no kids either.  

Let me ask you a question.  If people needed an ID to eat would they figure out a way to get it?  You bet you would.  Now if having a say in the way their government is run requires that get an ID to prove who they are at the poll or on a mail in ballot they should be able to figure it out.  If they are poor and have no vehicle there are other means of transportation.  When I was younger and lived in Miami I took a bus nearly an hour each way for work every day.  If they are too old to drive or take public transportation there are services for seniors in places like Atlanta.

Regarding your NPR article about how hard it is to get an ID?  I think you need to read it again.  It does talk about the challenges but also talks about the solutions  FTA:

Moon never had a driver's license. "I can drive," she said, but she never got her license, "'cause I can't afford to buy no car."

Bill Cox, a volunteer for Spread The Vote, told Moon she needs a birth certificate to get a replacement ID. She lost that, too, she said.

"We will help you get that," Cox told her. "We will pay for it."

The "getting ID is hard" excuse is just that, an excuse.  

Edited by Chef Jim

58 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

first id like to thank you for your well thought out response. its what people need to do now adays instead of the typical deflections and insults.

my basic point about your friend is that she had to identify herself many times to get to the level of which you speak. for each example you seem to suggest, well she had to identify herself..but in a different way, its not "restrictive" like GA. i could easily take your position on the general premise of your arguments. 

she needed parents or bills or other forms of id to get vaccinated. your link on how many people do not have a bank account could easily also be a link on how alot of people are not in touch with their parents. dont put utilities in thier name. dont have social security cards ect ect. all the things that got her to being able to go to school or work in the first place. so is the school, clinic ect ect being restrictive to people who do not have those things? how low are we going when it comes to the standard of identifying oneself? there are homeless people who have mental illness out there but also have the god given right to vote. there is a line that can go up and down and the question to ask is Georgia somehow unfairly high?

you use CO as your standard for how high it should be. thats fine, each state is different and creates thier own standard. NY has higher guidlines for gun ownership and i can just as easily talk about how NY is restrictive of my RIGHT to bear arms and is unjustly excluding poor people that cannot afford extra classes, concealed carry permits ect ect. anything that requires more money or effort, court cases aside. not allowing residents to protect themselves is restricting my rights! its pretty easy to play that card and use other state laws in comparison. whichever is higher then becomes the one who is restrictive or as some say "racist". i think our sides have flipped yet i get no opportunity to own a gun if i am poor where georgians have other options. 

plain and simple. is GA asking for too much and purposefully excluding people of thier right to vote. i dont think so. the fact you have to find reasoning to exclude from the FREE ID offered while also bringing up the cost to the taxpayer is a pretty odd defense overall. 

at a time when the country is heavily divided and a election was a contentious as the last one, right or wrong. i will never be opposed to requiring more secure methods to prevent any accusations and anger as a concession as long as they ARE WITHIN REASON. nothing is stopping democrats from helping residents obtain a simple ID that the state is requesting for the next election. if thats to difficult a task for them I'm not sure what that means for them as a party seeing as multi millions are poured into campaigns every cycle. in return how do republicans help people with more secure elections? they have to create laws ahead of time. there is no action they can take like the democrats.

The clinics, schools, etc have two things an election doesn’t. First they have limited funds and can’t help everyone. Second of a person comes in to say a clinic and doesn’t have documentation, most clinics will work with them there to try to help them prove what is needed to be proven to get help.

If you show up without an ID because you don’t have one, the poll worker isn’t going to sit there and help you fill out the free ID card so you can vote there. I’m addition you wouldn’t be able to vote in GA since there is no same day registration like there is in CO.

You bring up NY gun ownership and that’s a great example. Just because the state has the ability to restrict something doesn’t make it right.

The CO documentation won’t allow everyone to vote. But instead of blocking 10 percent of your population from voting it’s probably down to 1 percent.

The free ID isn’t free. Most people on this board are 1) not destitute and 2) are from Buffalo. That alone brings unconscious bias to a group of people being impacted by these laws that sometimes it’s hard to understand. My previous example of being blown away someone aged 18 in Chicago doesn’t have a drivers license because I grew up in suburbs of Buffalo. But that’s a majority of teenagers and a decent bit of adults in bigger cities.

Circling back to the free ID isn’t free. Say in GA a US citizen, let’s say he’s a war vet, fell on hard times and is at homeless shelter. He hears a Mike Pence speech and thinks Pence will fix everything and wants to vote for him. 

He doesn’t have an id and has $20 to his name. The only way for him to get the ID is to 1) travel to local court house, say $5 on a bus one way. 2) request his birth certificate, say $20 a copy. 3) take the bus home, another $5. 4) probably can’t get it same day so another $10 back and forth to pick it up when it’s ready. 

He’s already spent $40 of his $20 and also hasn’t had food so he probably dies of starvation before pulling the lever for Pence.

Outside of that there’s the time. Bus and dealing with a courthouse probably takes 2 hours. That’s 2 hours he could have been doing something to make money. Maybe he would have made $10 those two hours. He’s now really out $50, with $20 to his name.

So now your free ID has this guy starving and $30 in the hole. Since he doesn’t have access to credit, he can’t get the ID.

Edited by Backintheday544

6 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

The clinics, schools, etc have two things an election doesn’t. First they have limited funds and can’t help everyone. Second of a person comes in to say a clinic and doesn’t have documentation, most clinics will work with them there to try to help them prove what is needed to be proven to get help.

If you show up without an ID because you don’t have one, the poll worker isn’t going to sit there and help you fill out the free ID card so you can vote there. I’m addition you wouldn’t be able to vote in GA since there is no same day registration like there is in CO.

You bring up NY gun ownership and that’s a great example. Just because the state has the ability to restrict something doesn’t make it right.

The CO documentation won’t allow everyone to vote. But instead of blocking 10 percent of your population from voting it’s probably down to 1 percent.

The free ID isn’t free. Most people on this board are 1) not destitute and 2) are from Buffalo. That alone brings unconscious bias to a group of people being impacted by these laws that sometimes it’s hard to understand. My previous example of being blown away someone aged 18 in Chicago doesn’t have a drivers license because I grew up in suburbs of Buffalo. But that’s a majority of teenagers and a decent bit of adults in bigger cities.

Circling back to the free ID isn’t free. Say in GA a US citizen, let’s say he’s a war vet, fell on hard times and is at homeless shelter. He hears a Mike Pence speech and thinks Pence will fix everything and wants to vote for him. 

He doesn’t have an id and has $20 to his name. The only way for him to get the ID is to 1) travel to local court house, say $5 on a bus one way. 2) request his birth certificate, say $20 a copy. 3) take the bus home, another $5. 4) probably can’t get it same day so another $10 back and forth to pick it up when it’s ready. 

He’s already spent $40 of his $20 and also hasn’t had food so he probably dies of starvation before pulling the lever for Pence.

Outside of that there’s the time. Bus and dealing with a courthouse probably takes 2 hours. That’s 2 hours he could have been doing something to make money. Maybe he would have made $10 those two hours. He’s now really out $50, with $20 to his name.

So now your free ID has this guy starving and $30 in the hole. Since he doesn’t have access to credit, he can’t get the ID.

so your positive that there are no resources to help those that want a voter id obtain one? there's a number to call that says they will help in that instance. as for going in "day of" and expecting a voter id ready and waiting..lots of time in between elections. lots of money dumped into campaigns to offset any hardships for vets or others who truley want to vote but cannot.

i grew up and live in the city. i know plenty of people down on their luck that need help including family. they seem to get what they need ID requirements and all. they get section 8, food stamps, phone, FREE bus passes. it might be your bias thinking they cannot accomplish these things or maybe georgia social net is drastically different? you continually seem to have low expectations that people cannot accomplish things if there is a condition that any effort on their end must be made. 

from everything I've seen, its not true.

Edited by Buffarukus

24 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

so your positive that there are no resources to help those that want a voter id get one. there's a number to call that says they will help in that instance. as for going in day of and expecting a voter id ready and waiting..lots of time in between elections. lots of money dumped into campaigns to offset any hardships for vets or others who truley want to vote but cannot.

i grew up and live in the city. i know plenty of people down on their luck that need help including family. they seem to get what they need ID requirements and all. they get section 8, food stamps, phone, FREE bus passes. it might be your bias thinking they cannot accomplish these things or maybe georgia social net is drastically different? you continually seem to have low expectations that people cannot accomplish things if there is a condition that any effort on their end must be made. 

The social net in GA is no different.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/8/2021 at 9:49 AM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Great post.

The intent of that Georgia law I assume is because some groups will go to a homeless shelter or nursing home and offer free lunches for people who will come to the polls and vote for them.

Republicans are targeting the ‘line warming’ behavior because they are too dumb to figure out how to do the same. 

Well, Republicans do the same exact thing outside of every church in America. They just don’t want “certain” people to vote.

7 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

so your positive that there are no resources to help those that want a voter id obtain one? there's a number to call that says they will help in that instance. as for going in "day of" and expecting a voter id ready and waiting..lots of time in between elections. lots of money dumped into campaigns to offset any hardships for vets or others who truley want to vote but cannot.

Being a registered voter is all you should need to vote. That’s what it’s for. You walk in, give your name, date of birth, and home address, and they hand you a ballot.

This whole idea that random people are walking in and using other voter’s names and memorizing the addresses of total strangers has always been totally ludicrous.

And no, Ga. actually doesn’t have much of a safety net at all. It’s just like Florida and SC.

11 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Well, Republicans do the same exact thing outside of every church in America. They just don’t want “certain” people to vote.

Being a registered voter is all you should need to vote. That’s what it’s for. You walk in, give your name, date of birth, and home address, and they hand you a ballot.

This whole idea that random people are walking in and using other voter’s names and memorizing the addresses of total strangers has always been totally ludicrous.

And no, Ga. actually doesn’t have much of a safety net at all. It’s just like Florida and SC.

do you live there? chef jim answered like he does and stated differently.

as to how you feel things should be done.we all have opinions. the question is it unreasonable? im not hearing anything so far that leads me to believe that. cant put in alittle extra effort for security purposes then i guess its not that important. there are numerous things ID is required for in society and somehow this is the only one that has people up in arms about.

17 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

do you live there? chef jim answered like he does and stated differently.

as to how you feel things should be done.we all have opinions. the question is it unreasonable? im not hearing anything so far that leads me to believe that. cant put in alittle extra effort for security purposes then i guess its not that important. there are numerous things ID is required for in society and somehow this is the only one that has people up in arms about.

I actually put this to the test a few years back. I was born in the north and I was always under the impression that ID’s are needed for almost everything. Maybe that was because I lived kinda out of the way.

I recently went 7 years in NC without an ID. When you don’t have one, and don’t want one, you quickly realize that you don’t actually need one for much of anything these days. Now I understand why millions of americans(young and old) don’t have and don’t want an ID.

I lived in Smyrna(right near ATL) for 5 years.

off topic but weird story. I was working in mid-town Atlanta for a valet service during the Rams/Titans SB. Remember what happened that night? The Ray Lewis thing went down 2 blocks away from my post. It was in Buckhead.

5 minutes ago, The Governor said:

I actually put this to the test a few years back. I was born in the north and I was always under the impression that ID’s are needed for almost everything. Maybe that was because I lived kinda out of the way.

I recently went 7 years in NC without an ID. When you don’t have one, and don’t want one, you quickly realize that you don’t actually need one for much of anything these days. Now I understand why millions of americans(young and old) don’t have and don’t want an ID.

I lived in Smyrna(right near ATL) for 5 years.

off topic but weird story. I was working in mid-town Atlanta for a valet service during the Rams/Titans SB. Remember what happened that night? The Ray Lewis thing went down 2 blocks away from my post. It was in Buckhead.

so getting a job took you for your word without needing a ID verification..for 7 years? cashed checks? rented housing? ect ect? thats a very trusting environment.  also a environment ripe for fraud.

you worked a valet service..without a licence? or this was later?

if you lived there then i guess ill believe their social net is not that good. it doesnt really change the fact that democrat and community organizations can help people obtain them then. 

ill pose this question since it was unanswered before. democrats want everyone to have the right to vote. republicans want more secure elections. at least that's the glossy overcoat they give. democrats can help people obtain IDs. what do you want republicans to do to secure elections as a basic ask for ID is fought tooth in nail..and of coarse "racism" is called. is it really too much? do you not feel any concessions should be made to 1/2 the country that want this. 

side note, i hope you weren't valeting lewis that night. you may have just admitted to being a unknowing accomplice. 😁

4 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

so getting a job took you for your word without needing a ID verification..for 7 years? cashed checks? rented housing? ect ect? thats a very trusting environment.  also a environment ripe for fraud.

you worked a valet service..without a licence? or this was later?

if you lived there then i guess ill believe their social net is not that good. it doesnt really change the fact that democrat and community organizations can help people obtain them then. 

ill pose this question since it was unanswered before. democrats want everyone to have the right to vote. republicans want more secure elections. at least that's the glossy overcoat they give. democrats can help people obtain IDs. what do you want republicans to do to secure elections as a basic ask for ID is fought tooth in nail..and of coarse "racism" is called. is it really too much? do you not feel any concessions should be made to 1/2 the country that want this. 

side note, i hope you weren't valeting lewis that night. you may have just admitted to being a unknowing accomplice. 😁

Yeah, I kept telling myself that was going to get one and then 7 years went by. I had an out of state license that was taken away and I just never needed to get one.

The other issue is that the license places are all privatized throughout the south so when you actually go to get an ID, you don’t walk out with one. It’s mailed to you in about 2 weeks. So, if you physically lose your ID before an election, you’d be seriously SOL.

Edited by The Governor

3 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Yeah, I kept telling myself that was going to get one and then 7 years went by. I had an out of state license that was taken away and I just never needed to get one.

The other issue is that the license places are all privatized throughout the south so when you actually go to get an ID, you don’t walk out with one. It’s mailed to you in about 2 weeks. So, if you physically lose your ID before an election, you’d be seriously SOL.

so you illegally drove. you are ray lewis accomplice and you want fraudulent elections. lol im just kidding.

yes losing your id will make you SOL in alot of circumstances but what about the question i posed. is it really asking to much when democrats could simply help those who want to vote..and also give them a valid ID they previously did not have for anything else.

seems like alot of hoopla and excuses for the simple act of securing elections without any republican excuse if they lose. win win win yet still is fought like its armageddon.

13 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

so you illegally drove. you are ray lewis accomplice and you want fraudulent elections. lol im just kidding.

yes losing your id will make you SOL in alot of circumstances but what about the question i posed. is it really asking to much when democrats could simply help those who want to vote..and also give them a valid ID they previously did not have for anything else.

seems like alot of hoopla and excuses for the simple act of securing elections without any republican excuse if they lose. win win win yet still is fought like its armageddon.

Think about it this way.

ive always had all of the other things that you need to get a photo ID. Birth certificate, SS card, proof of residency, credit cards in my name, but just never got an actual Photo ID.

At the time, Wells Fargo and I believe PNC bank, only required 2 credit cards in your name, your SS card, and maybe your BC to cash a check.

So, there’s nothing fraudulent about it at all. I had other forms of ID and never needed a photo ID. This is also when credit cards had your photo on it.

And yes, it is a problem, because voting is a right that doesn’t require a photo ID, along with a lot of other things, and a few million people wouldn’t be able to exercise that right.

You’re trying to fix a problem that doesn’t exist.

Why not pass a law that says you need “some” form of ID? No, that’s not what they’re trying to do and everyone knows exactly why.