Jurrell Casey- could he be a deciding piece?

NewEra

Sign Jurrell Casey?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to sign Jurrell Casey?

• Yes, and I’m ok with paying up to 8-9M
    • Yes, but only if it’s at a discount 4-6M
    • Yeah, but he’s old and washed up, so vet minimum only
    • No, he’s old and washed up

Jurrell Casey may not have been aaron Donald or JJ watt dominant, but he was a top 7 DT for a few years imo.   I wonder how much he is going to command on the open market.  I was thinking that keeping Jefferson might be a good idea, but if we can replace Jefferson with Casey, those are the kind of moves that help win Super Bowls.  Casey wasn’t just a good DT he was pretty dominant since he’s arrived in the NFL.

He tore his bicep in September so he’ll be almost a year removed.  if he could be 80-90% of the player he was, he would be a huge addition.  He can play pretty much any DT position and would be a perfect fit next to Oliver on passing situations and is solid Vs the run.  He’s a disruptive force.  We need more of them.  

prior to last season, he had never missed more than 1 game in a season and had missed 3 games over his first 8 years.  Will the torn bicep be that detrimental to his career or will he be able to bounce back.  He’s a DT signing that I would be ecstatic about.  

how much do you think will he cost?  If we could get him for less than Jefferson’s salary, I’d be all in.  At 31, I bet we could

make that happen.  Similar to Suhs contract last year. Being a real contender now, is it possible might be able to get him for much cheaper?  1-year 5-6M would be a game changer for our D if he was healthy 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

It is a very similar argument to Kawann Short IMO. Go back 5 years they were both top 5 interior rushers. Casey has only missed one year injured whereas Shot has missed basically two. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see the bills bring either of these two guys in as a dust settled move at a cheap price. I know Casey has played more as a 3-4 end in recent years but he would easily transition back to a 3 tech in this scheme. 

Oh and for the "Ed Oliver sucks" brigade... Casey had 5.5 sacks his first two years, Kawann Short had 5 (though he was only a rotational player his rookie year in fairness). Ed Oliver has 8. Most 3 techs are not Aaron Donald who come out of the womb ready to dominate in the NFL. They need to learn how to use their speed and leverage against bigger bodied NFL guards. Both broke out in their third year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Casey was a monster 2 years ago for Tennessee’s playoff run. I was so disappointed they dumped him and then gave his money to Clowney. Worst move of the year for them. 
The guy can still play. 
I was on the lookout for him and also Akiem Hicks if he’s cut from Chicago. I would support signing either guy. 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I want Carl Lawson...dude is 26, in his prime and an under the radar great edge rusher

Honestly,... I don't think he's "under the radar".  He'll cost plenty

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I want Carl Lawson...dude is 26, in his prime and an under the radar great edge rusher

Lawson would be a great pickup.  But sadly I hear that he will not make it to FA one way or another.

Casey would be a nice rotational guy for a year or so - and should be paid as such. 

Edited by BarleyNY

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Cool..... pretty sure Lawson has been talked about ad nauseam around here and plays a different position.  Any thoughts on Casey?

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Casey was a monster 2 years ago for Tennessee’s playoff run. I was so disappointed they dumped him and then gave his money to Clowney. Worst move of the year for them. 
The guy can still play. 
I was on the lookout for him and also Akiem Hicks if he’s cut from Chicago. I would support signing either guy. 

I agree. I'd take Casey. I want to get younger but we've been putrid against the run in recent years and he'd be a great addition. I'd welcome him at a 2 year 10-12 mill contract, let Butler and Jefferson go. I think with Casey and Star.... Oliver and Phillips' game would elevate.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Cool..... pretty sure Lawson has been talked about ad nauseam around here and plays a different position.  Any thoughts on Casey?

He was really good but that's a tough injury to come back from at that position. Kind of don't know what you are getting...like a box of chocolates...you never know what you are going to get inside...

• Like (+1) 1