Zach Ertz about to be traded? [Edit: or Not]

Rubes

2 hours ago, Weatherman said:

My point is that a vet TE with a low shelf life is not beneficial to a team focused on youth and continuity. 

Focused on youth?  

The Bills have one of the oldest rosters in the NFL.    

It's funny how fans come up with these totally incorrect narratives.

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Focused on youth?  

The Bills have one of the oldest rosters in the NFL.    

It's funny how fans come up with these totally incorrect narratives.

If you actually read, you would notice how I’m not referencing the Bills but the Jags.  

2 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

If you actually read, you would notice how I’m not referencing the Bills but the Jags.  

My bad.........I should have known somebody would turn the Ertz thread into a Tebow story even though the guy is 33 years old,  has little experience at TE and couldn't even stay healthy playing baseball. 

34 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

You seriously think Tebow is anything other than a camp body?  Even if he makes the team, which he won’t, it will be for vet min and a backup role.  It’s not just age with Ertz it’s injuries.  I feel like I’m debating with a brick wall, at least be slightly open minded.

Having a TE that can catch is always optimal.  If he can stay healthy I would say he would be a significant upgrade and a difference maker.  

Besides JA, TW, and SD I could make the same argument for all the other players currently on the roster.  

And ertz is a 30 year old tight end that was injured 1 year.....the previous 2 season he played 16 and 15 games.  You act as if his career is over because he’s 30 and got injured once....

You then say in the following quote, that ertz would be a significant upgrade and a difference maker......but adding ertz doesn’t make sense for the jags to replace chris Mannhertz....., Why? because they aren’t going to win the super bowl next year?   And I’m a brick wall. Lol.  Oh man. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

The Jags had the youngest roster (snap- weighted) in the league based on stats from last year which makes sense. Going on 2020 roster, Bills were middle of the pack (13) overall, pretty young (22nd) on offense and 7th oldest on defense. 

Football Outsiders has been tracking snap-weighted age (SWA) since 2006, calculating a team's age not by just averaging the ages of the players on the roster, but by weighting the age of each player by the number of snaps he played in the regular season. 
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2021/snap-weighted-age-2020-nfl-rosters

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

The Bills have been adding older vets all along. 

True. 

I was curious so looked up the average age by team for 2020. The Jags were the youngest at 24.9 years. The middle of the pack #16 Chiefs had an average age of 25.9, and the oldest team is the Falcons at 26.9. The Bills were at #23 at 26.1 years old. It’s only 2 years from #1 to #32 which surprised me a bit, but I suppose it shouldn’t for the 53 man roster. . 

Since 2017 the Bills have gone from 30th to 28th to 26th and now 23rd during 2020. Apparently we are getting younger, and I suspect better drafting has a LOT to do with that. With younger generally comes cheaper, and we will need that with Josh’s contract coming up. 

Edit: Yolo may have a better source, but I bet the general picture is still probably much the same. 

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2020-edition-falcons-jaguars-eagles/

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

True. 

I was curious so looked up the average age by team for 2020. The Jags were the youngest at 24.9 years. The middle of the pack #16 Chiefs had an average age of 25.9, and the oldest team is the Falcons at 26.9. The Bills were at #23 at 26.1 years old. It’s only 2 years from #1 to #32 which surprised me a bit, but I suppose it shouldn’t for the 53 man roster. . 

Since 2017 the Bills have gone from 30th to 28th to 26th and now 23rd during 2020. Apparently we are getting younger, and I suspect better drafting has a LOT to do with that. With younger generally comes cheaper, and we will need that with Josh’s contract coming up. 

Edit: Yolo may have a better source, but I bet the general picture is still probably much the same. 

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2020-edition-falcons-jaguars-eagles/

I view it as a very conscious decision/process by McDermott. 

The Bills, unlike others, never went full-on youth movement. It’s a big reason why they made the playoffs in year 1 and why they have had winning seasons in 3 out of 4 years here.

McDermott’s coaching staff initially leaned on older veteran assistants, but as McDermott himself gained experience, he began replacing those older assistants with young up-and-comers.

It is my belief that he is doing the same thing with the roster. He depended on older veterans to help establish the culture that he envisioned in years 1 and 2, and has been steadily bringing in younger players ever since — as shown by the age ranking changes you just mentioned. As the team begins to depend on more and more drafted labor due to big contracts being given out to Allen et al, I expect this progression toward youth to continue somewhat.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

What am I missing.

Are the Eagles just being petty?  Would they rather cut him for nothing instead of getting something from the Bills?

That sounds like bad front office management to me.....they would be trading him completely out of the NFC.

Seems like they want to wait until June 1st to cut or trade him.  For cap purposes.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

What am I missing.

Are the Eagles just being petty?  Would they rather cut him for nothing instead of getting something from the Bills?

That sounds like bad front office management to me.....they would be trading him completely out of the NFC.

Perhaps the Bills were never interested? Or perhaps they were and they’ve since moved on? 

I’d love them to acquire Ertz as I think he could really open up the offense, but we really have no idea if Beane is in agreement (or would be willing and able to make it work cap wise).

What am I missing.

Maybe the Bills aren’t interested.  They usually aren’t interested in bums like Ertz so it would make sense.

6 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Perhaps the Bills were never interested? Or perhaps they were and they’ve since moved on? 

I’d love them to acquire Ertz as I think he could really open up the offense, but we really have no idea if Beane is in agreement (or would be willing and able to make it work cap wise).

We do have clues that Beane has interest.  First, there have been many rumors all along the way (see this 50 page thread).  Secondly, there was the quote by McD about not having the same level TE as KC.

The FO may have moved on, or maybe (hopefully) they just couldn't come to an agreement earlier.  I've stated my hope of Addison for Ertz after June 1st.  There are other possibilities, ie some type of draft pick, or taking the chance on picking Ertz up after he is cut.  It's not over yet, but odds are nothing happens until after June 1st.  And letting Ertz get cut hurts the Bills chances of getting him.

What am I missing.

Maybe the Bills offered them a 2021 pick before the draft which they didnt take, so now the Bills have told them to go and pound sand...

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Jags had the youngest roster (snap- weighted) in the league based on stats from last year which makes sense. Going on 2020 roster, Bills were middle of the pack (13) overall, pretty young (22nd) on offense and 7th oldest on defense. 

Football Outsiders has been tracking snap-weighted age (SWA) since 2006, calculating a team's age not by just averaging the ages of the players on the roster, but by weighting the age of each player by the number of snaps he played in the regular season. 
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2021/snap-weighted-age-2020-nfl-rosters

That's a cute way to do it. 

But then there is reality.

The Bills have dedicated A LOT of roster space and cap dollars to older, veteran reserves.

Consider $10M spent on reserve OT Ty Nsekhe,  $12.5M on reserve LB AJ Klein,  another $14M spent on negative contributing reserves like Josh Norman, Spencer Long and Brian Winters just to name a few.    

To say nothing of $90M spent on "intended" starters like Star Lotulelei, Trent Murphy and Tyler Kroft.

When you say a team is young........the obvious assumption is that they have an abundance of cap space...........and that certainly is not the case because they have tossed around a lot of money on guys who did not play a lot of snaps.

Bringing back most of the team makes you, for the most part,  a year older.   Adding a 34 year old Emmanuel Sanders and/or a Zach Ertz is going to raise your average age.

The Bills roster is not going to be younger this season.........they will probably fall around 5th-8th oldest roster in 2021. 

56 minutes ago, wppete said:

62 pages about Ertz and he will end up being a Colt. This thread could be a record. 

Colts fans are incredibly nice people. We can do a warm hand off of this thread to their forum. Including a few recipes would be a nice touch.

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's a cute way to do it. 

But then there is reality.

The Bills have dedicated A LOT of roster space and cap dollars to older, veteran reserves.

Consider $10M spent on reserve OT Ty Nsekhe,  $12.5M on reserve LB AJ Klein,  another $14M spent on negative contributing reserves like Josh Norman, Spencer Long and Brian Winters just to name a few.    

To say nothing of $90M spent on "intended" starters like Star Lotulelei, Trent Murphy and Tyler Kroft.

When you say a team is young........the obvious assumption is that they have an abundance of cap space...........and that certainly is not the case because they have tossed around a lot of money on guys who did not play a lot of snaps.

Bringing back most of the team makes you, for the most part,  a year older.   Adding a 34 year old Emmanuel Sanders and/or a Zach Ertz is going to raise your average age.

The Bills roster is not going to be younger this season.........they will probably fall around 5th-8th oldest roster in 2021.

Beane had to overspend to get players to come to Buffalo.  With Josh's ascendancy to elite status, that should no longer be the case.  And obviously the pandemic didn't help matters any this year and seems to be affecting their plans for next year.

As for the average age this year, it might not be much higher.  They shed a lot of age with guys like Nsekhe, Brown, Kroft, Jefferson, Roberts, Norman, Winters, etc., while the oldest guy they added was Sanders at 34.  Ertz would push it up more but if they produce as expected and teach the younger guys, it will be well worth it. I'd rather be a talented slightly older team than a lousy young one.

• Like (+1) 1