Zach Ertz about to be traded? [Edit: or Not]

Rubes

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Buffalo will need to do some cap gymnastics but I assume they would be in on him.  If he actually becomes a Bill this would go against every historical indicator for threads of this level of size and substance.  

Come now. How soon we forget the epic Mario Williams thread that gave us "F5", "ground up and in the freezer", "Tempo", and my personal favorite, "Luke Russert's mom."

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Eagles: we're not trading you, but by God we'll release you and make you a free agent!

that's Green Bay level of GM skill right there 

The window to get a late round pick was probably pretty small and all but gone on draft week.

Teams clutch their draft picks.......often a bit irrationally so.........so it wasn't going to be easy for Philly to get value here.

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think it's more a matter of needing the cap space.  Cutting or releasing him after June 1st saves them $3.5M more on the cap.

Not just the Eagles.........nobody was rushing to take on an $8.3M cap hit in trade for a guy coming off a down year that thinks he's going to bounce back and have a big year and maybe get a $10M per long term deal.   Not a lot of motivation for him to take a pay cut or sign a cheaper long term deal if you trade for him.    As a free agent, when he can choose his destination, different story.

• Agree 2

57 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Man..my old Bills fan self from pre McBeane era almost came through

I was about to post "would Ertz pick us to sign with?"

Then I remembered how good we are.

Of course he would

I have a bad feeling, with their "good" draft + Fields + his wife, Ertz might actually want to go to da Bears.

1 hour ago, transient said:

Come now. How soon we forget the epic Mario Williams thread that gave us "F5", "ground up and in the freezer", "Tempo", and my personal favorite, "Luke Russert's mom."

Indeed... but it looks closer to Brian Johnson to me.

Seems to me the Eagles tried playing hardball, saying they were fine with keeping him, etc. to get a better pick from the Bills. 

Bills got sick sick of waiting around and bidding against themselves and the Eagles were stick holding the 8.5 million dollar bag. Now they’ll get nothing. 

Problem is do the Bills even have enough to pay him if he is released? He’ll probably get a few looks. Though the Bills have to be pretty high on his list as I don’t see many multi year deals and at least with Allen he knows he’ll get his looks and could pad those stats for the next contract. 

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Seems to me the Eagles tried playing hardball, saying they were fine with keeping him, etc. to get a better pick from the Bills. 

Bills got sick sick of waiting around and bidding against themselves and the Eagles were stick holding the 8.5 million dollar bag. Now they’ll get nothing. 

Problem is do the Bills even have enough to pay him if he is released? He’ll probably get a few looks. Though the Bills have to be pretty high on his list as I don’t see many multi year deals and at least with Allen he knows he’ll get his looks and could pad those stats for the next contract. 

Im sure Beane could work the contract in away that would fit him in under the cap

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Except CBS Sports didn't actually report that, unless I'm missing something? I knew this account tweeted out completely unverified rumors but it's very bold of them to also make up sources.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, transient said:

Don't forget Pat Moran's daughter!!

2 hours ago, Golden*Wheels said:

hey this Tom Donahoe guy is finally starting to work out for us. FlaFitz was right.

Wait. Is this the "stuck on a snake infested sandbar" FlaFitz?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Eagles: we're not trading you, but by God we'll release you and make you a free agent!

that's Green Bay level of GM skill right there 

I do not understand the GMs thinking - I would assume they talked compensation, but even a 6th or a 7th would be better than straight up cut.

I have to think they are hoping to do a trade still and get something next year, but this borders on complete incompetence.

I mean Beane got a pick from Atl for Smith - I just do not understand the thinking here.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The window to get a late round pick was probably pretty small and all but gone on draft week.

Teams clutch their draft picks.......often a bit irrationally so.........so it wasn't going to be easy for Philly to get value here.

I agree, but even a late round pick - even next year - clears more cap and gives a minimal return - compared to outright cutting him.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But why cut him now when you could even get a 2022 6th or 7th rounder. 

15 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

But why cut him now when you could even get a 2022 6th or 7th rounder. 

Yeah if the cap space wasn't needed I'd keep him and try to trade him in TC/preseason after somebody loses a TE.    That nets you something and decreases the chance he is familiar enough with his new team to go out and put up 80 grabs and embarrasses the Eagles organization for letting him go.

Of course I would have franchised and traded Stephon Gilmore for a day 1 or day 2 pick..........not doing so was a much more egregious waste of value........and nobody got on the McWhaley about that.

The reality is a 6th or 7th rounder is a tiny fraction of that kind of value.........and it might not be worth jerking around a guy who did a lot for the franchise or even worth risking him getting injured and having to actually pay him, etc..

• Like (+1) 1