Zach Ertz about to be traded? [Edit: or Not]

Rubes

1 hour ago, Adam727 said:

I'm definitely not an expert on that stuff but Beane didn't sound too optimistic that the cap would go up that much next year in the press conference he gave the other day.  

Beane has to say that kinda thing otherwise he hamstrings himself in negotiations, well maybe not him directly but whoever specifically negotiates all the contracts.

tv deal might not kick in til 23 but fans back in stadiums will def have an impact

The last I heard is the cap would hit $203-4 mil. in 2022 so basically still behind what was negotiated in contracts prior to the pandemic.  So no health deal, and by 2022 it would have been $218 mil. or so given 8 years prior the cap would go up $8-10 mil/yr.

In 2023 is where we catch up to pre pandemic in $225 mil.  Now we’re back on course.  2024 is where you see the contracts really help in they expect it to be $255 mil. and up from there.  The notion there will be a ton of $ soon is not happening, but down the road by the end of the CBA, the cap will be around $300 mil. and growing.

As to Ertzif you’re an Ertz fan, the Eagles will most likely cut him.  That’s what other GM’s are waiting for if any team is targeting him.  Going for a day 3 trade just ensure you get him, but also his contract. For Ertz camp people, is he worth a 6th rounder and $8 mil. for one year, or do you wait til he’s cut, keep you’re pick, and negotiate against other teams.

Id rather wait and see if it can work.  For the deals the players have been getting after the first round of FA, he should be an economical buy.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TOboy said:

The cap is going up significantly next year with the new tv deal and fans back in stadiums this year. 

Unfortunately - the new TV contract money will not be seen until 2023 and even with fans returning to the stadium and the 17th game - the salary cap is not expected to rise significantly because they have nearly 30 million per team in lost revenue from last season to make up.

The salary cap may not rise at all or only go up 8-10 million depending on how quickly the owners want to recoup the lost money.  It will also have an impact on 2023, but the new TV deals will counter that.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Adam727 said:

I'm definitely not an expert on that stuff but Beane didn't sound too optimistic that the cap would go up that much next year in the press conference he gave the other day.  

Beane is tying himself into knots trying to make it seem that not exercising Edmunds 5th year option isn’t a major indictment on how the Bills feel about him.  

9 hours ago, Adam727 said:

You gotta plan for the worst.

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Beane is tying himself into knots trying to make it seem that not exercising Edmunds 5th year option isn’t a major indictment on how the Bills feel about him.  

If Dylan Moses lingers into the 5th round and Bills take him, probably Edmunds last year. I think Moses given time to heal and possibly redshirt could payoff big.

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

There is no reason to pick up the option for Edmunds.  It costs the same as the franchise tag.  They can skip the option which immediately becomes guaranteed and tag him if they want after the year.

He won't be tagged AND it won't be an indictment on how they feel about him.

Edited by section122
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Adam727 said:

Would you rather have Edmunds next year or Ertz for the next two years?  Looking at the Bills' salary cap I'm not sure how they fit Edmunds 5th year option, resign next year's free agents, and fit Ertz's contract.

I'd still trade a day 3 pick, I'd rather have Ertz.. 

Teams can adjust contracts and sign pretty much any player if they want to. Most thought Bills would lose Milano, Williams and Feliciano

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Wonder if the chiefs getting brown changed our thought process 

What is the connection on that trade with the thought process with ertz. Bills have just been waiting out the Eagles to drop their price 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Your main rival for the afc title filled a major hole so you feel the need to fill one of yours

TE2 in a WR centric offense that mostly uses its TEs to block and play HBack, and plays the most 10 personnel in the league, isn’t a “major hole”. Starting LT is a “major hole”. The chiefs were desperate as they should have been. The Bills are not desperate to get another TE or any position. They have no major holes.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

TE2 in a WR centric offense that mostly uses its TEs to block and play HBack, and plays the most 10 personnel in the league, isn’t a “major hole”. Starting LT is a “major hole”. The chiefs were desperate as they should have been. The Bills are not desperate to get another TE or any position. They have no major holes.

I see it as a major hole, the story with Knox hasn't changed since college and if we don't have a player that can hurt the other team there we will not be able to get over the hump. 

Edit: the other thing for me here is that for all these years our offense has sucked but a lot of folks wanted that great te to open up the seams and the underneath areas. Now, when we have a decent offense it doesn't matter. To me now is the time for one! Someone like Kelce would be nice but it just needs to be someone with a little wiggle and ability to get open and catch the ball. Knox doesn't seem to be that, as much as we hope he will be.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Adam727 said:

Would you rather have Edmunds next year or Ertz for the next two years?  Looking at the Bills' salary cap I'm not sure how they fit Edmunds 5th year option, resign next year's free agents, and fit Ertz's contract.

I'd still trade a day 3 pick, I'd rather have Ertz.. 

Abra Cadabra Ala Kazam...any thread can be turned into an irrational Edmunds bash.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is why I do not check this thread everyday--only every-other-day. Sure, if we can get a quality player cheap, do it. But no need to overpay, or even pay fair market value for a TE. It is simply not a vital part of this offense. If we can get Ertz cheap, sure, go for it!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Abra Cadabra Ala Kazam...any thread can be turned into an irrational Edmunds bash.

I don't think I was being irrational or bashing Edmunds.

I think Edmunds is a decent linebacker but maybe not someone I would pay $15 million/year during a cash strapped year if that means not being able to re-sign other players.

Spotrac says the Bills have ~$2mil in free cap space next year assuming a salary cap of $192.5mil if they pick up Edmunds 5th year option.  Even if $192.5mil ends up being a little low.. that wouldn't include Ertz' 8.5 million this year, whatever he'd sign for next year, their draft picks this year or next year, and includes only 40 out of 51 players under contract.  They also need to resign any of their free agents next year that they want back which is most of their Dline (Hughes, Addison, Butler, Phillips, Zimmer) and includes players like Trubisky, Boettger, Wallace, McKenzie, Taron Johnson, Ferguson, etc. 

I don't know how the Buffalo Bills fit Ertz, Edmunds, and whichever of those players they want to bring back under the Salary Cap unless it goes up more than Beane sounds like he's expecting.   I think a top tier TE could help Josh take this offense to the next level, and since Beane is going to have some tough decisions to make next year, Edmunds at $14-$15mil/year in my opinion is a spot where the player doesn't match the value of the contract.  

I don't know if it's realistic to think they can sign Ertz and either pick up Edmunds 5th year or tag him and still re-sign the players they need to next year.  

Edited by Adam727
  • Agree 1

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but interesting.

I don't know if the Bills will be even in on this, but ....

They’re going to trade Zach Ertz. And it’s going to be — the way that I’ve said this in the live stream, there are personnel people around the league who think that Ertz will be traded no later than early in the draft. Like, when I say early, it certainly could happen — the way I heard it — there’s a very realistic chance it actually happens on the lead-up.

Report: Eagles are going to trade Zach Ertz ‘by the end of the draft for sure’

Edited by BuffaloBob