Zach Ertz about to be traded? [Edit: or Not]

Rubes

3 minutes ago, akcash said:

I could see a draft day trade. Ertz and 2nd for Tremaine Edmund's. Draft Zaven Collins at 30.

This is make it or break it year for Tremaine. I feel like a more productive d line in front of him would make a world of difference and all that means is that he isn't a top 10 superstar. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, The Governor said:

The Mitch can be fixed. Bears fans say he can’t process and do pre-snap reads. That may be true, but it always looked to me like he was playing in the wrong style offense. We finally get to see.

https://theathletic.com/2461640/2021/03/18/as-mitch-trubisky-heads-to-the-bills-what-will-the-bears-regret/

Though, I don't think the author has a clue about what kind of offense Josh Allen is actually running two lakes to the East.

Take the offense we saw in September and then December this past season: Trubisky under center, lots of play-action, rollouts, cutting the field in half while complementing a productive run game. What if that was the offense Nagy decided to install in 2019? It never would have happened. That’s not Nagy’s preferred style of offense, nor would it have been Helfrich’s, who was still the offensive coordinator.

But that’s what seemed to fit Trubisky best, and it was implemented in a fragmented offseason with limited practice and split reps in a quarterback competition.

it sure seemed to align better with what Trubisky did well, even if he had spent his entire football career in the shotgun, than what we saw in 2019.

During the 2019 season when things were going awry, anyone could turn on a Bills game and see a quarterback with Allen’s skill set and wonder how Trubisky would fare in an offense like that. We could see what that would mean this fall.

With the references to "play under center" (40% last year, 30% this year) vs. "from shotgun" and a "productive run game", I kind of wonder what Bills team this guy was watching. 

But I guess we'll see if he can process and do pre-snap reads or not.  Doubt they'd be bringing him in if they thought that he couldn't.

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I have been wrong about just every FA

move by the Bills, so I expect this will be no different. But my view is they have no interest in trading for Ertz or really paying him. They are thinking Knox is better, and may just look to bring in a solid #2 blocking type.

I think McDermott likes to have a veteran in every room, so I think the Bills are sincerely interested in Ertz or a different vet TE - but only at their price.

40 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ve been thinking the Colts might swoop in and get Ertz.

They have Carson Wentz, Frank Reich, and a bunch of cap space.

Despite all the speculation that Buffalo is the favorite to land him, my money’s on Indy.

Bills wind up with Darren Fells. 🙄

• Vomit 1

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yolo, any notion who is behind these @NFL_Talk_Sports and @NFLrums accounts?  Are they generally considered to have any credibility?

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I’ve been thinking the Colts might swoop in and get Ertz.

They have Carson Wentz, Frank Reich, and a bunch of cap space.

Despite all the speculation that Buffalo is the favorite to land him, my money’s on Indy.

Bills wind up with Darren Fells. 🙄

Do you think Ertz would want to go play for Carson Wentz at QB again?  They kind of weren't lighting up the stadium last season.

And would Ertz have any leverage if "no"?

On the other hand....Ertz might welcome a reunion with Frank Reich. 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I have been wrong about just every FA

move by the Bills, so I expect this will be no different. But my view is they have no interest in trading for Ertz or really paying him. They are thinking Knox is better, and may just look to bring in a solid #2 blocking type.

I don’t think anyone in the league thinks Knox is better, and the bills just traded their blocker.

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://theathletic.com/2461640/2021/03/18/as-mitch-trubisky-heads-to-the-bills-what-will-the-bears-regret/

Though, I don't think the author has a clue about what kind of offense Josh Allen is actually running two lakes to the East.

With the references to "play under center" (40% last year, 30% this year) vs. "from shotgun" and a "productive run game", I kind of wonder what Bills team this guy was watching. 

But I guess we'll see if he can process and do pre-snap reads or not.  Doubt they'd be bringing him in if they thought that he couldn't.

I think McDermott likes to have a veteran in every room, so I think the Bills are sincerely interested in Ertz or a different vet TE - but only at their price.

Thanks for posting that.

To me, Mitch doesn’t  look like a guy that can zip the ball into tight windows like they wanted. Sometimes he could, but it never really looked like it felt natural to him. 

Ertz's 5 best years would be the 5 best TE years in Bills history. If he comes here, he's the No. 1. Management loves Knox and they're counting on him to develop but Ertz will affect defensive gameplans this year.

2 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Thanks for posting that.

To me, Mitch doesn’t  look like a guy that can zip the ball into tight windows like they wanted. Sometimes he could, but it never really looked like it felt natural to him. 

I think I agree. One of the things that makes Josh so successful in this offense is his ability to improvise while gunning the ball into tight windows. I haven’t seen that from Trubisky so far, but I guess we’ll see.

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yolo, any notion who is behind these @NFL_Talk_Sports and @NFLrums accounts?  Are they generally considered to have any credibility?

Do you think Ertz would want to go play for Carson Wentz at QB again?  They kind of weren't lighting up the stadium last season.

And would Ertz have any leverage if "no"?

On the other hand....Ertz might welcome a reunion with Frank Reich. 

I don’t know, I generally dismiss them but someone was posting their stuff last week here and they seemed to be in the know

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Thanks for posting that.

I haven't watched Trubisky that much, but I thought the "word" on him was that his arm wasn't that strong

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t think anyone in the league thinks Knox is better, and the bills just traded their blocker.

No one thinks Knox is better...yet. I am sure there are people that think it’s only a matter of time, and the comments by the Bills coaches, FO, and other players makes it sound like Knox is on the verge.

I don’t think anyone disputes that knox’s athleticism is off the charts— Ertz couldn’t compare even when Ertz was the same age, let alone now. Knox just needs to figure out how to play TE. 

Lot of TE’s take a few years to figure things out. For example, people were desperate for Jonnu Smith— his first two years in the league were pretty comparable to Knox’s first two. 

I am just of them view that the Bills think very highly of Knox such that they aren’t going to be breaking the bank to trade and sign Ertz. 

14 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

No one thinks Knox is better...yet. I am sure there are people that think it’s only a matter of time, and the comments by the Bills coaches, FO, and other players makes it sound like Knox is on the verge.

I don’t think anyone disputes that knox’s athleticism is off the charts— Ertz couldn’t compare even when Ertz was the same age, let alone now. Knox just needs to figure out how to play TE. 

Lot of TE’s take a few years to figure things out. For example, people were desperate for Jonnu Smith— his first two years in the league were pretty comparable to Knox’s first two. 

I am just of them view that the Bills think very highly of Knox such that they aren’t going to be breaking the bank to trade and sign Ertz. 

I agree that the Bills think highly of Knox. I also think they want a savvy veteran to come in and teach him from the field. They recently engaged in talks with Greg Olsen, Rob Gronkowski, and Kyle Rudolph. We know they're at least exploring an Ertz trade. Common denominator among these players? Savvy veterans who can block as well as catch. Knox needs help with both the former and the latter. 

I also think he would be more effective as more of a move tight end/H-Back. Picture him in Reggie Gilliam's role. Bringing in a Zach Ertz would allow Knox to move around the field, providing a matchup nightmare chess piece for Brian Daboll. 

As much as I think they like Knox, I think this is also something of a "make it or break it" season for him with regards to being an impact starter. Raw or not, this will be his third season, and the Bills championship window is open NOW. The Bills can't put themselves in a position where if Knox DOESN'T put it all together, they've got nothing in the cupboard.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I agree that the Bills think highly of Knox. I also think they want a savvy veteran to come in and teach him from the field. They recently engaged in talks with Greg Olsen, Rob Gronkowski, and Kyle Rudolph. We know they're at least exploring an Ertz trade. Common denominator among these players? Savvy veterans who can block as well as catch. Knox needs help with both the former and the latter. 

I also think he would be more effective as more of a move tight end/H-Back. Picture him in Reggie Gilliam's role. Bringing in a Zach Ertz would allow Knox to move around the field, providing a matchup nightmare chess piece for Brian Daboll. 

As much as I think they like Knox, I think this is also something of a "make it or break it" season for him with regards to being an impact starter. Raw or not, this will be his third season, and the Bills championship window is open NOW. The Bills can't put themselves in a position where if Knox DOESN'T put it all together, they've got nothing in the cupboard.

Well said. I agree with all of this, and what you say makes sense and aligns with the high expectations the Bills have in Knox.