Zach Ertz about to be traded? [Edit: or Not]

Rubes

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s a nice talent but talk about brittle bones mcgee. He’s been hurt every season.  Last year was his healthiest year.  Being that his contract is up after next season and will want to get paid, he falls a little further down my list.  

don’t get me wrong, he’d help.  I’d just rather go in a different direction.  If we could trade out 6th rd pick for him and let him go after this season, I’d be all for it.  I shut wouldn’t want to give up a pick above rd 5 for him because I don’t think I’d want to give guaranteed money to brittle bones mcgee

I was hoping they would go after some players that they could legitimately sign to longer term deals with small first year cap hits.........like a young player like Curtis Samuel versus a 34 year old Sanders.

Not just because the player is better.........but the roster is already one of the oldest in the league........mainly because they have a very small amount of home-grown players..........so if they just try to run rentals thru they further cultivate their own inability to draft and develop better........which they will really need to do to maintain the roster when Josh cap figure jumps in 2023.    

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s a much, much better version of Dawson Knox with the occasional WTF drop.

Yeah, I agree. He seems like he could be really good soon. I must be in the bathroom every time he drops a pass. He could be beastly.

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was hoping they would go after some players that they could legitimately sign to longer term deals with small first year cap hits.........like a young player like Curtis Samuel versus a 34 year old Sanders.

Not just because the player is better.........but the roster is already one of the oldest in the league........mainly because they have a very small amount of home-grown players..........so if they just try to run rentals thru they further cultivate their own inability to draft and develop better........which they will really need to do to maintain the roster when Josh cap figure jumps in 2023.    

Yeah, it’s a huge draft coming up.  We need 3-4 players that we can add to the foundation for the next 4/5 years.  

I don’t think it’s too late to add a young player like Samuel,  albeit might be at a different position.  I think we have 1-2 new additions coming still via free Agency/trade and then more via the draft. 

if we don’t move the needle any further, next year will End similarly 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There’s a Curtis Samuel in every draft class this year see Rondale Moore and he won’t cost 34 million dollars either if the Bills chose to go that route 

• Like (+1) 1

Only a few people here think Ertz is not good yet all the GOOD teams that are contenders think otherwise... Shows you how bad fan evaluation is.

7 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Last night on NFLR analysts expected he would be cut in the next day or so.  If cut, maybe a vet minimum to try him out.  I agree he’s not worth a trade, but a try out on a minimum and maybe he’s healed up.

Yea teams are fighting for Ertz b.c he is a top TE and you think you can get him for vet min... I wish I took the drugs you take.

• Like (+1) 1

Honest question for the TE guru's, Is Ertz really a major upgrade from Knox? I keep seeing it takes 3-4 years for a TE to develop. With Knox and say Sweeney coming in to that time frame,  would it be better to look for a Lee Smith upgrade instead? Maybe make Knox spend more time with the receivers like Diggs and work on his catch %? He seems to be good at difficult catches but has a hard time with easy ones..

The problem with Knox is he never learned in youth football, catch and secure the ball before you look up field.  That’s a 12 year old mistake.  I’d love an experienced TE, but just not sure if it’s Ertz.  Maybe.  Kyle Rudolph has similar stats and ages 30/31.  Either one can help, and you’re right maybe Sweeney and Knox will improve.  If they do, and we grabbed one of these older guys we would have a 13 personnel option.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

The problem with Knox is he never learned in youth football, catch and secure the ball before you look up field.  That’s a 12 year old mistake.  I’d love an experienced TE, but just not sure if it’s Ertz.  Maybe.  Kyle Rudolph has similar stats and ages 30/31.  Either one can help, and you’re right maybe Sweeney and Knox will improve.  If they do, and we grabbed one of these older guys we would have a 13 personnel option.

Thanks. So a concentration issue and not necessarily skill set or abilities issue? Makes sense as if it's a difficult catch he is focused on the catch and not the run after. As a side joke, maybe Allen should be less accurate when throwing to Knox..LOL.. If you had your choice between Rudolph and Ertz,  which would you go with for the Bills?

• Haha (+1) 1

Joe Marino on today's Locked On Bills podcast said he has sources close to the Ertz situation. According to his sources the two teams in contention for Ertz as of now are the Bills and the Chargers. Apparently Howie Roseman is playing hardball and trying to get more for Ertz than he is worth.

Gun to my head I would predict Chargers if it's down to us and them because Beane isn't the type to give in to another team's overpriced demands, and the Chargers might be a little desperate to replace Hunter Henry.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Joe Marino on today's Locked On Bills podcast said he has sources close to the Ertz situation. According to his sources the two teams in contention for Ertz as of now are the Bills and the Chargers. Apparently Howie Roseman is playing hardball and trying to get more for Ertz than he is worth.

Gun to my head I would predict Chargers if it's down to us and them because Beane isn't the type to give in to another team's overpriced demands, and the Chargers might be a little desperate to replace Hunter Henry.

I just posted this as well - fwiw Chargers only have one TE under contract currently (Parham)

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think you’re missing why they went after Sanders. He is one of the best route runners in the league, and the Daboll system is predicated on obtaining windows rather than jump balling it. He is a perfect fit. The Bills are a smart organization and Daboll is smart, and they’ve prioritized vet route running over raw talent. It only led to the second best offense in the league last season and Josh Allen leading the NFL in PFR’s AV stat (their version of WAR for football). I like Brown, but I think Sanders is a measurable upgrade given what the Bills do on offense. Samuel can do certain things well (ie, run), but he can’t do what Sanders does. And I mentioned elsewhere, Sanders is a winner: playing on teams that have collectively gone 110-66 and 8-5 in the postseason plus playing in 3 SBs (and in the one Denver won he was the leading receiver in the game). Also remember the bomb that Garappolo missed that could have won the SB for SF — how, in that situation, did Sanders get behind the D? Great route running.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4