Zach Ertz about to be traded? [Edit: or Not]

Rubes

4 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

We are in our SB window. No doubts about that I contend. Bills have to do everything they can do to give Josh weapons and protection.   The D will need to develop to be good but looking at where we are we won’t be a top 5 defense AND be a top 5 Offense, so we need to focus on one or the other.  Since are already a top O we need to maintain and grow that with Depth added and scheme up the D.    

Focus then on the draft to add a few who can start to fill gaps on D and maybe the line, but also draft people who can grow for years to come.  

We are built to win by out scoring opponents not stopping opponents. Trying to change that will make us mediocre with the limited cap. 

You don't have to be a top 5 D, but you can't get bulldozed every play and routinely give up 3rd and 15 because you have squat for a pass rush. Need a 1 tech, pass rusher and CB 2.

• Agree 1

The Eagles 🦅 were a dumpster fire🔥 on offense last year. Wentz was a hot mess. I’m giving Ertz a pass last year because of the total dysfunction on that side of the ball, that being said I don’t think Ertz comes in and is a game changer. He will be solid at moving the sticks. He will be great against zone. Which is played a lot against us. He would be a welcome addition . I just hope his addition wouldn’t slow down our 10 & 11 personal sets. Or slow down Dawson’s development.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Green Lightning said:

You don't have to be a top 5 D, but you can't get bulldozed every play and routinely give up 3rd and 15 because you have squat for a pass rush. Need a 1 tech, pass rusher and CB 2.

Depending on Ertz, we would have to pull a KC and do some cap gymnastics, but we could really supercharge the defense by signing a pass rusher, drafting a CB2 at 30 and then Slayton from UF.

Say it's Clowney, for example..

Hughes - Star - Oliver - Clowney

Addison - Slayton - Butler - Epenesa

Edmunds - Milano

T. Johnson

White - Pick 30

Hyde - Poyer

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

Believe the return of a star helps the D.  Allows the LB’s to focus on their jobs, instead of RB’s getting to the 2nd level. 

That being said, yes we need better edge rush.  Just hope the Bills are not putting that on Epenesa.  Need an established edge guy.  With a better pass rush, takes pressure of the secondary, although we do need a starting CB opposite White and backup.

5 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Yep - we need timely stops and get off the field on 3rd and long. 

8 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

We are in our SB window. No doubts about that I contend. Bills have to do everything they can do to give Josh weapons and protection.   The D will need to develop to be good but looking at where we are we won’t be a top 5 defense AND be a top 5 Offense, so we need to focus on one or the other.  Since are already a top O we need to maintain and grow that with Depth added and scheme up the D.    

Focus then on the draft to add a few who can start to fill gaps on D and maybe the line, but also draft people who can grow for years to come.  

We are built to win by out scoring opponents not stopping opponents. Trying to change that will make us mediocre with the limited cap. 

I don't agree with the assertion that we cannot be a top 5 defense.... We technically have

* A all-pro CB 

* Two well rounded Safeties that don't make mistakes

* Two all-star Linebackers 

* A DT picked in the top 10  in the draft and an all-star DE

This core group with some exciting peripheral players definitely has a chance to be a top-5 defense.  

27 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Depending on Ertz, we would have to pull a KC and do some cap gymnastics, but we could really supercharge the defense by signing a pass rusher, drafting a CB2 at 30 and then Slayton from UF.

Edmunds - Milano

T. Johnson

White - Pick 30

Hyde - Poyer

Serious question: what do you see in Clowney that says we should pay for him?

• Agree 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Purely untapped potential - Also, I just don't think he'll get paid that much.  I wouldn't break the bank for him, but given our cap situation, he seems like the cheapest - If not, by all means, replace his name with Ingram or someone else.  

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Purely untapped potential - Also, I just don't think he'll get paid that much.  I wouldn't break the bank for him, but given our cap situation, he seems like the cheapest - If not, by all means, replace his name with Ingram or someone else.  

This!  Our roster needs just one dynamic addition at DE and we are looking MUCH improved over last year.  

37 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Edmunds - Milano

T. Johnson

White - Pick 30

Hyde - Poyer

Phillips?

40 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

The Eagles 🦅 were a dumpster fire🔥 on offense last year. Wentz was a hot mess. I’m giving Ertz a pass last year because of the total dysfunction on that side of the ball, that being said I don’t think Ertz comes in and is a game changer. He will be solid at moving the sticks. He will be great against zone. Which is played a lot against us. He would be a welcome addition . I just hope his addition wouldn’t slow down our 10 & 11 personal sets. Or slow down Dawson’s development.

You nailed it here.   I am a big Carson Wentz guy, but he looked like he didnt belong in the league last year.   A lot of that had to do with his inability to set his feet without getting trucked, but Ertz gets a pass from me for last year.

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He's never shown any of the things that the Bills are missing. Clowney is a high-paid Trent Murphy. He is NOT a pass-rusher.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Exactly.  He’s done nothing the past two years.  If we brought him here, I wouldn’t give him anything more than a one year, 5 mil deal that can be cut without penalty 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I think Clowney in the $6-7m per year range is a risk worth taking.  

Agree, I hated the idea last year because he wanted to get paid and I question his work effort.  He got a one year prove it deal from the Titans and it didn't pan out (injuries included).  If that humbled him and he's willing to take an even lower contract than last year (maybe with incentives) I think it's definitely worth the gamble.  I think the team culture McD built would actually motivate him to reach his potential.

• Like (+1) 1