Zach Ertz about to be traded? [Edit: or Not]

Rubes

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

He's younger than Cole Beasley who just had the best season of his career. When did 30 years old become "washed" in the NFL? Maybe for running backs. Most other positions can make it to 33 before they see that decline. Ertz has been in the league a long time which means he knows how to make himself available to the QB and adjust to the ball. That's something we didn't get from our TEs last year.

Not trying to be rude Happy but watching Ertz the past 1.5, he looks washed to me. 

He struggles to separate and he's lost some of his speed. Injuries are catching up to him. 

TE is a physical position and seemingly affects players at an earlier age. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Did you watch our offense in either game vs KC last year?  If you did, I’m sure you realized that our offense also needs to improve and become less one dimensional. How did our pass catchers do playing against a dime D all game?  They couldn’t get open.  Having the ability to run some 2 TE sets and add a TE that our QB has confidence in would really help in that regard.

Not sure you read my post fully, I said we need a running back and OL help to get our offense moving fully. In a year when every dollar counts extra I don't think he is an $8 million improvement. KC was able to tee off on us because our RBs scare no one. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Not sure you read my post fully, I said we need a running back and OL help to get our offense moving fully. In a year when every dollar counts extra I don't think he is an $8 million improvement. KC was able to tee off on us because our RBs scare no one. 

I hear ya.  8M may be a bit steep and I agree.  It’s too steep for my tastes as well.  An extension could bring his cap hit down and if Beane has a few diamonds in the rough to fill some of our other holes, maybe we can make it all work with a higher priced TE.....but I think you’re right.  Too expensive.

I just don’t think that our RBs are the only thing to take into account.   Running with 1 TE and no FB, teams can run dime against us, partly due to our OLs inability to run block well.  Adding 2TE sets to our offense would allow us to become multiple and dictate the opposing defenses personnel as opposed to letting them run what they want.  

On 3/7/2021 at 11:02 PM, HappyDays said:

He has a $12 million cap hit in 2021 but I think the Eagles retain some of that if they trade him. I would happily give up our 6th, maybe restructure his deal to add a year on and lessen the cap hit this year. Allen would love him which is reason enough for me to seriously consider this.

A 6th wont get him. 4th or 5th and a restructure will get it done. 

On 3/8/2021 at 4:26 PM, HappyDays said:

He's younger than Cole Beasley who just had the best season of his career. When did 30 years old become "washed" in the NFL? Maybe for running backs. Most other positions can make it to 33 before they see that decline. Ertz has been in the league a long time which means he knows how to make himself available to the QB and adjust to the ball. That's something we didn't get from our TEs last year.

Kelce is 31!

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Is he still about to be traded? 

Or is this the stadium naming rights thread all over again.

I hope it is the latter with Ertz about to be traded for the next 6-9 months.  That would be an LOL thread.

More like the JJ Watt thread. Anyone follow Ertz on Instagram?

Ertz is my number 1 wish at tight end.

The most complete tight end available. 

Prior to last season, he hadn't recorded less than 800 yards receiving in a season since 2014, and even then, he had over 700.

He can block. He can catch. He would improve both our run game and our passing game. He's 30, which isn't really that old in the world of tight ends. He probably sitll has 4-5 good years left.

If the draft pick compensation required isn't too high and they can make it work from a cap perspective, they should do this deal yesterday.

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

Prior to last season, he hadn't recorded less than 800 yards receiving in a season since 2014, and even then, he had over 700.

He can block. He can catch. He would improve both our run game and our passing game. He's 30, which isn't really that old in the world of tight ends. He probably sitll has 4-5 good years left.

If the draft pick compensation required isn't too high and they can make it work from a cap perspective, they should do this deal yesterday.

I would be on board with Ertz in Buffalo - the problem is is sounds like the asking price is a 4th or a 5th and Buffalo doesn't have a 4th and I can't imagine a team can't come up with something better than a late round 5th

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

I’m fine giving them a 5th or 6th, but I just don’t see paying him 8-9m in this market when he’d be lucky to get 5-6. I’d rather pick him up after he gets cut and give him a one year 5m base with incentives to get him in the 7-8 range. He’s not a sure thing, so let him bet on himself. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Estro said:

Translation:

"Please somebody/anybody make us an offer before we have to release him."

The report is that they want a 3rd or 4th rounder for him but I highly doubt anyone will give up that much. I would be comfortable giving up our 5th. 

• Like (+1) 1

It is all postering - He has been going to be traded shortly now for weeks. 

I am not worried.  Let it come to us.  Do not give up picks and big salary for a guy that is not wanted on his current team.

Let them cut him or let someone else take the trade - give us a better player at a lower salary.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

The Bills should target Smith and if they don't get him, they should target Rudolph.

If both fail, just take your chances drafting a TE from the 3rd round on down.

If a player like Freiermuth is there in the 3rd round, take him.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

It is all postering - He has been going to be traded shortly now for weeks. 

I am not worried.  Let it come to us.  Do not give up picks and big salary for a guy that is not wanted on his current team.

Let them cut him or let someone else take the trade - give us a better player at a lower salary.

Yes.  Patience is the word this year.  Also if Beane wants a TE Ertz isn't the only one and I'm willing to bet most would like Josh throwing them the ball.