Zach Ertz about to be traded? [Edit: or Not]

Rubes

36 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I mean Kroft looked plenty fine catching the ball and they made him inactive most of the year. Knox is 100% a more difficult matchup for defenses than Ertz because of his athleticism. Ertz is a proven pass catcher so like I said I can understand why people would want him, but I don’t see him as any kind of game changer for this offense or the missing piece to a Super Bowl run. Anyone can catch check downs, IF we had a quarterback who settled for check downs. 

Rc, IDK, he was the third highest TE in the league as a pass catcher behind Kelce and Kittle in 2019.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I would be furious if the Bills gave up a pick and did that..

For a 6th or a 7th, why?  The odds of a late round pick making the current Bills roster are long.  Ertz would be better, over the next few seasons, i.e. their Super Bowl window,  than what the Bills would draft with those picks.  

When Beane spoke of the TE position it’s obvious he is looking for an upgrade there.  Ertz is an upgrade.  Not saying Beane will trade for him, but a new TE is coming and that TE won’t be just a guy.  They will be proven (Ertz, Kyle Rudolph, Jared Cook) or a young guy with big upside (Jonnu Smih, Hunter Henry, David Njoku).  I believe Beane prioritizes this over Milano.  And he should.

4 minutes ago, purple haze said:

For a 6th or a 7th, why?  The odds of a late round pick making the current Bills roster are long.  Ertz would be better, over the next few seasons, i.e. their Super Bowl window,  than what the Bills would draft with those picks.  

When Beane spoke of the TE position it’s obvious he is looking for an upgrade there.  Ertz is an upgrade.  Not saying Beane will trade for him, but a new TE is coming and that TE won’t be just a guy.  They will be proven (Ertz, Kyle Rudolph, Jared Cook) or a young guy with big upside (Jonnu Smih, Hunter Henry, David Njoku).  I believe Beane prioritizes this over Milano.  And he should.

I just think he is likely to be let go ..

I don’t like the situation of giving up a pick ( even a day 3 one) ... paying him $8M in 2021 and then trying to negotiate an extension...what are you going to pay him in 2022 and beyond?

I have outlined other options I prefer to do in the thread if interested ...

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I don’t want to trade for Zack If he is released I would look at him but there’s about to be a major bloodbath of talent and it doesn’t make sense giving up draft picks we can get a different te if needed

Exactly my thoughts... I think people are underestimating how wild this FA period is going to be... 

For the record:  I don’t believe we’re interested in trading for him.  If I were Beane, I would most likely try and sign a vet, like Jared cook, to a team friendly deal.  I hope we try and take advantage of having a good team in free agency.  Iirc, this years SB champs signed 14 players to 1 year free agent contracts   The only contract that was 1 year, was TB12 for 2 years. 

Try and catch lightning in a bottle while keeping cap flexibility.

if ertz wants to take a team friendly deal to win another Sb than anything’s possible.  I just don’t think Beane is thinking about taking on his current 8M 

Edited by NewEra

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Where did you get that idea 😉

That’s why I threw his name in there.  I wasn’t disagreeing with you.  I am also not underestimating how wild this FA will be. I was merely standing reason why some teams may want to trade for him. Teams other than the Bills included 

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I could see them bringing in a cheaper Vet for a year and then taking a swing in the draft on a Day 2 pick...

That’s not really addressing the position.  They have cheap, young, developing  vets now in Knox and Sweeney.  They need a guy they can count on.

That SB window is open now.   To me, you prioritize resources to areas that will support your franchise QB: O-line and TE.  The cap should be going back up in 2022, so structure contracts with that in mind.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, purple haze said:

That’s not really addressing the position.  They have cheap, young, developing  vets now in Knox and Sweeney.  They need a guy they can count on.

That SB window is open now.   To me, you prioritize resources to areas that will support your franchise QB: O-line and TE.  The cap should be going back up in 2022, so structure contracts with that in mind.  

I just don’t see Beane  giving up a pick ( even a 6th or 7th) and paying Ertz $8M ( even if he agrees a restructure and pushes some of this into the future) ....not this year when the bloodbath is in the horizon... if I am wrong I will add you to the list in this thread that I will apologise too...I think you are Number 4...

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

I just don’t see Beane  giving up a pick ( even a 6th or 7th) and paying Ertz $8M ( even if he agrees a restructure and pushes some of this into the future) ....not this year when the bloodbath is in the horizon... if I am wrong I will add you to the list in this thread that I will apologise too...I think you are Number 4...

No need to apologize.  You raise good points.  I just think Beane, based on his comments, is ready to make a strong move at that position.   His assessment of the TE position was spot on.   We will see soon enough what he prioritizes.  It’s going to be fascinating to see.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, purple haze said:

No need to apologize.  You raise good points.  I just think Beane, based on his comments, is ready to make a strong move at that position.   His assessment of the TE position was spot on.   We will see soon enough what he prioritizes.  It’s going to be fascinating to see.

Both of you guys class acts.  Nice to see when guys just agree to disagree and both have good points.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the question is... at this point is Zach Ertz for a year or two an upgrade over Dawson Knox....yes that is an easy question  but he’s not worth more then say a 6 or 7th round pick at this point which is pretty much still better then the butter fingers tight end we have now 

6 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I can see why people look at his stats and want him, but please look how many targets he got in Philly. He will be lucky to see 1/3rd of that here. I have not seen Daboll even remotely interested in tight end routes in this offense minus the inside the 5 yard line touchdown throws. 
Now if we are saying it’s cause our tight ends are sooooo terrible and daboll will make Ertz a focal part of the pass offense maybe it makes sense. I just think his playbook is mostly built off Allen’s ability to sling it 10-25 yards down the field. I can’t see him making Ertz a big part of the offense within 10 yards which is the only place he’s good for especially at this stage of his career. 

I don’t know that it is Daboll not be interested in TE routes or if it is our QB - like point 2.  Nothing wrong with Josh, but he is/has typically used WRs as his primary pass catching target since college.  I think he is way more comfortable throwing to WRs than TEs.  Once Josh learns how to control some of that and utilize RBs and TEs as safety valves - he will become a nearly unstoppable force.

My issue with thinking Ertz will do anything if the Bills trade for him is targets/targets/targets.  He has been the primary receiving target in Philadelphia for years and the WR room has been a shifting wasteland of injured garbage and guys past their prime.  Coming to Buffalo, how many targets does he get?  In 2020 if you merge all TE targets - he would have gotten 66 targets with a 75% catch rate you get 50 receptions instead of 43 and I think that is top end levels without using any other TEs. 

The other thing is that the Bills have lessened the usage of a traditional TE and gone to more of an HB role to increase blocking and give a safety valve - I am not sure that fits Ertz very well - so my guess is a more traditional pass catching TE that can’t block see the field less.  

I have no issue with a 7th round pick and trying it, but I do have an issue with an 8 million+ salary.  He will never live up to that in this offense - he will just be a huge disappointment that everyone tries to rationalize.

• Agree 1

You're all missing his worth for the Bills.  The perfect holder for Bassomatic.  Puts the 'laces out'.  Can run a fake FG.  Plus pushes the current TE corps if the Bills sign him.  

(I said I had ideas.  I didn't say they were good  ideas.)
😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Tinkering...🤔

I think we might be interested if he gets cut but I can’t see Beane trading a pick for the right to pay another TE that can’t block at all over $8 mil when we’re hurting for cap space to begin with.

The Tight end doesn’t need to be thr focal point from option A or B to throw too in this offense  but we need someone who can be dangerous and respected enough that linebackers have to defend. Take away One less defender for our guys to block in the run game. It goes hand in hand. I think we find that this offense takes it too another level. 

I don’t think Knox has shown that yet. I get that he’s young but Beane specifically brought up their play for a reason. And as others have said we have a window.

If Ertz has something left and if Beane thinks it an upgrade for a year or two, i think he at least explores it. He could be a good Mentor for Knox as well. 

I will be surprised if this area isn’t addressed in one way or another. 

7 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

I considered that but it's the only reason that I would give up an asset for him. I doubt a bidding war is going above his current $8M and if you're paying that on the open market, you're likely getting longer term (maybe a team option) and retaining draft capital. It all depends on how desperate you are to have him.

Let’s not forget what Kroft got in the open market, 8m isn’t bad.