Zach Ertz about to be traded? [Edit: or Not]

Rubes

1 minute ago, ExWNYer said:

I considered that but it's the only reason that I would give up an asset for him. I doubt a bidding war is going above his current $8M and if you're paying that on the open market, you're likely getting longer term (maybe a team option) and retaining draft capital. It all depends on how desperate you are to have him.

I respect the heck out of ya but I am with newera on this one. your doing to much if and but crystal ball stuff. In Bean I trust lol

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I respect the heck out of ya but I am with newera on this one. your doing to much if and but crystal ball stuff. In Bean I trust lol

I think Beane would rather have the 7th round pick to roll the dice and try to find another Dane Jackson

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

I get where you guys are coming from but I was hypothesizing in general for anyone interested in him, not just the Bills. You trade for him if you think you absolutely have to have him and don't want to take the chance on him choosing someone else on the open market. Otherwise, hold onto the asset. Philly will not be playing hardball. They are backed into a corner.

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

I think Beane would rather have the 7th round pick to roll the dice and try to find another Dane Jackson

yea uh no.  That's more like wishful thinking. 7th round pick for a good upgrade at a position of struggle is worth it

1 minute ago, ExWNYer said:

I get where you guys are coming from but I was hypothesizing in general for anyone interested in him, not just the Bills. You trade for him if you think you absolutely have to have him and don't want to take the chance on him choosing someone else on the open market. Otherwise, hold onto the asset. Philly will not be playing hardball. They are backed into a corner.

again crystal ball.. you nor I don't have a clue what would happen.

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

yea uh no.  That's more like wishful thinking. 7th round pick for a good upgrade at a position of struggle is worth it

We will see if they trade for Ertz then.. I would be surprised but if they do I'll revisit and give you the approriate kudos..

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

again crystal ball.. you nor I don't have a clue what would happen.

We'll see what happens. If there truly are eight teams interested in him, then he'll likely get dealt.

• Like (+1) 1

I can see why people look at his stats and want him, but please look how many targets he got in Philly. He will be lucky to see 1/3rd of that here. I have not seen Daboll even remotely interested in tight end routes in this offense minus the inside the 5 yard line touchdown throws. 
Now if we are saying it’s cause our tight ends are sooooo terrible and daboll will make Ertz a focal part of the pass offense maybe it makes sense. I just think his playbook is mostly built off Allen’s ability to sling it 10-25 yards down the field. I can’t see him making Ertz a big part of the offense within 10 yards which is the only place he’s good for especially at this stage of his career. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I considered that but it's the only reason that I would give up an asset for him. I doubt a bidding war is going above his current $8M and if you're paying that on the open market, you're likely getting longer term (maybe a team option) and retaining draft capital. It all depends on how desperate you are to have him.

I have no clue how much he would get paid.  You have to look at which teams would be interested.  If one of the teams that is really interested in Ertz is unlikely to be a favorable destination for him (much like the Bills of the past), they’d have to overpay just to be a consideration.  Trading a late round pick, he’s yours and you can work on an extension once he’s your property. 

two years ago, Jared cook (31 years old at the time) signed a 2 year 15M contract and Ertz >>> Cook imo.  

people are acting like he’s washed up after his first bad season (in which he was injured and had terrible OL and QB play).  Dude had been a top 3-5 TE the previous 5 seasons 

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Maybe he want to win a SB too before he retires

He already won one.  

but maybe.  

I wasn’t talking about this in terms of the bills. I was just stating the reasons why someone would want to trade for him as opposed to waiting for him to be a free agent.

my personal opinion about ertz:  I’d really love to add another good TE.  I don’t feel like 17 trusts knox (for good reason) and that hurts us.  I’d be happy if we could trade a 6th-7th for him and extend his contract with favorable team conditions.

I hope to be more multidimensional on offense next year and using more 2TE sets. We weren’t able to make teams pay for playing all DBs.  That needs to change. I feel a healthy Ertz could help

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I have no clue how much he would get paid.  You have to look at which teams would be interested.  If one of the teams that is really interested in Ertz is unlikely to be a favorable destination for him (much like the Bills of the past), they’d have to overpay just to be a consideration.  Trading a late round pick, he’s yours and you can work on an extension once he’s your property. 

two years ago, Jared cook (31 years old at the time) signed a 2 year 15M contract and Ertz >>> Cook imo.  

people are acting like he’s washed up after his first bad season (in which he was injured and had terrible OL and QB play).  Dude had been a top 3-5 TE the previous 5 seasons 

I don't think he's washed up, far from it. But depending on what he'd cost in terms of both draft capital and salary, that would determine whether or not I'd want him on the Bills. They have a lot of internal decisions to make on many of their own guys. And I'm probably in the minority, but I haven't given up on Knox yet. He is still new to the position and his athletic profile is off the charts. While I've been frustrated with his inconsistent hands, I think he still can improve and grow into the position. Again, I would be happy to get Ertz, if the price is right. I would just prefer to take my chances if he is released but that's just me.

• Agree 1

My guess is they'll get a 5th round pick for him.  I doubt the Bills do it given their salary cap situation.  The only reason I think it's a small possibility is Beane's end of the year press conference comment about needing to get better at the position.  He could definitely be a 3rd and short/medium chain mover if the other team puts a good coverage corner on Beasley.

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I can see why people look at his stats and want him, but please look how many targets he got in Philly. He will be lucky to see 1/3rd of that here. I have not seen Daboll even remotely interested in tight end routes in this offense minus the inside the 5 yard line touchdown throws. 
Now if we are saying it’s cause our tight ends are sooooo terrible and daboll will make Ertz a focal part of the pass offense maybe it makes sense. I just think his playbook is mostly built off Allen’s ability to sling it 10-25 yards down the field. I can’t see him making Ertz a big part of the offense within 10 yards which is the only place he’s good for especially at this stage of his career. 

Have you see Dawson knox catch a football?  Well, that’s the main reason why you didn’t see many TE targets.  

it’s not about TE stats.  Adding a guy like Ertz is about making our offense less one dimensional.  It’s about making teams defend us differently.  It’s about giving JA a TE target he can trust.  He probably won’t have great stats, but he might have another ring if he becomes a Bill

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Cook?

Oh my bad, was thinking ertz for some reason. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Have you see Dawson knox catch a football?  Well, that’s the main reason why you didn’t see many TE targets.  

it’s not about TE stats.  Adding a guy like Ertz is about making our offense less one dimensional.  It’s about making teams defend us differently.  It’s about giving JA a TE target he can trust.  He probably won’t have great stats, but he might have another ring if he becomes a Bill

I mean Kroft looked plenty fine catching the ball and they made him inactive most of the year. Knox is 100% a more difficult matchup for defenses than Ertz because of his athleticism. Ertz is a proven pass catcher so like I said I can understand why people would want him, but I don’t see him as any kind of game changer for this offense or the missing piece to a Super Bowl run. Anyone can catch check downs, IF we had a quarterback who settled for check downs. 

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

If this was 2015-2019, I'd be all over trading for him. But Ertz is not that player anymore. 

I'd be OK with signing him on the cheap once released though.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

I mean Kroft looked plenty fine catching the ball and they made him inactive most of the year. Knox is 100% a more difficult matchup for defenses than Ertz because of his athleticism. Ertz is a proven pass catcher so like I said I can understand why people would want him, but I don’t see him as any kind of game changer for this offense or the missing piece to a Super Bowl run. Anyone can catch check downs, IF we had a quarterback who settled for check downs. 

I don’t disagree.  I’m not sure if Ertz can change the dynamics of our offense.  If they think he can, than they would pull the trigger for a late rd pick imo. 

I don’t agree that “anyone can catch a check down”.  After watching the bills play in detail this year, one conclusion that I came to: Josh allen doesn’t trust Dawson knox....especially on check  

I agree knox is a better athlete and can be a problem for the D when he catches the ball.   It’s not about ertz being better than knox or replacing him. It’s about having both of them and using their skill sets in 1 and 2TE sets.  I hope we don’t plan on Sweeney or Gilliam being our #2TE.  We should be trying to acquire another TE

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t disagree.  I’m not sure if Ertz can change the dynamics of our offense.  If they think he can, than they would pull the trigger for a late rd pick imo. 

I don’t agree that “anyone can catch a check down”.  After watching the bills play in detail this year, one conclusion that I came to: Josh allen doesn’t trust Dawson knox....especially on check  

I agree knox is a better athlete and can be a problem for the D when he catches the ball.   It’s not about ertz being better than knox or replacing him. It’s about having both of them and using their skill sets in 1 and 2TE sets.  I hope we don’t plan on Sweeney or Gilliam being our #2TE.  We should be trying to acquire another TE

I can’t see any scenario where they don’t add a veteran tight end in free agency. No chance they’re rolling with those 3 only. I just don’t know it’ll be splashy like Jonnu Smith or the other top free agents. Which might be a good thing as far as our long term finances. Don’t want to take on another Charles Clay like contract and then not get the production with it. 

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I can’t see any scenario where they don’t add a veteran tight end in free agency. No chance they’re rolling with those 3 only. I just don’t know it’ll be splashy like Jonnu Smith or the other top free agents. Which might be a good thing as far as our long term finances. Don’t want to take on another Charles Clay like contract and then not get the production with it. 

They need to likely bring in 2 guys to replace Kroft and Smith...

I could see them bringing in a cheaper Vet for a year and then taking a swing in the draft on a Day 2 pick...