Zach Ertz about to be traded? [Edit: or Not]

Rubes

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/07/report-multiple-teams-have-interest-in-zach-ertz-with-trade-possible-in-coming-days/

30-year old 3-time Pro Bowler coming off a down year. Set to make a base salary of $8.25 million next year.

No mention of specific teams. Not sure if Beane would trade away picks for Ertz, but it's possible...

Edited by Rubes

He has a $12 million cap hit in 2021 but I think the Eagles retain some of that if they trade him. I would happily give up our 6th, maybe restructure his deal to add a year on and lessen the cap hit this year. Allen would love him which is reason enough for me to seriously consider this.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He has a $12 million cap hit in 2021 but I think the Eagles retain some of that if they trade him. I would happily give up our 6th, maybe restructure his deal to add a year on and lessen the cap hit this year. Allen would love him which is reason enough for me to seriously consider this.

Why would he want to restructure if a team trades for him and they have to pay his $8.25M salary and he hits Free agency next year?

I would be furious if the Bills gave up a pick and did that..

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Any of these 'interested' teams should just wait out the Iggles. They are so far over the cap that they can't dictate terms. They are going to have to release him, if they can't trade him.

But then they have to win the bidding war for him.  This way, they can get him for what could possibly be a 7th rd pick.  Worth it if you think he’s worth 8M a year.  

18 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why would he want to restructure if a team trades for him and they have to pay his $8.25M salary and he hits Free agency next year?

Because he's 30. He might prefer an extra year or two on his contract with more total guaranteed. I don't typically like trading for players on the last year of their contract but if you do it with an extension built in it makes a ton of sense. Ertz and Knox would be a very good tight end room for 2-3 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I would be furious if the Bills gave up a pick and did that..

I fully expect any team that trades for him to give him and extension and try and lessen his cap hit while adding at least a year of control.  

He’s younger than John Brown and Beasley.....yet some people act as if his career is over

• Like (+1) 2

For those that don't think Ertz is worth a pick, we're talking about a day 3 pick. If the Bills drafted a TE on day 3 no one would bat an eye. The cap hit really isn't that bad and with Ertz here we could cut John Brown (Ertz would contribute more in the passing game this year, book it). Draft another WR on day 1 or 2, add some speed at RB, and our offense is set in 2021.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Because he's 30. He might prefer an extra year or two on his contract with more total guaranteed. I don't typically like trading for players on the last year of their contract but if you do it with an extension built in it makes a ton of sense. Ertz and Knox would be a very good tight end room for 2-3 years.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I fully expect any team that trades for him to give him and extension and try and lessen his cap hit while adding at least a year of control.  

He’s younger than John Brown and Beasley.....yet some people act as if his career is over

But he has to agree too right?

So the additional money on top of the $8M he gets in 2021 has to be tempting enough to stop him wanting to go through free agency next year when we think the cap is a lot more than 2021...

I would be happy to roll the dice that the under the pump Eagles have to release him...

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

So the additional money on top of the $8M he gets in 2021 has to be tempting enough to stop him wanting to go through free agency next year when we think the cap is a lot more than 2021...

I would be happy to roll the dice that the under the pump Eagles have to release him...

Who doesn’t like getting paid more money? It comes with more money upfront and players like large sums of cash.  

You could be right, maybe he wants to test FA and choose his spot for the first time in his career, but being traded to a real contender and getting a boatload of cash upfront is sometimes a welcome situation

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

the only players that usually disagree are high end superstars/ I think this guy will respect we want him and work with us. This is the type of player that would work and help teach our current TE a thing or too. If reasonable I would jump all over this.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Who doesn’t like getting paid more money? It comes with more money upfront and players like large sums of cash.  

You could be right, maybe he wants to test FA and choose his spot for the first time in his career, but being traded to a real contender and getting a boatload of cash upfront is sometimes a welcome situation

Fair enough.. we will agree to disagree on this one...

I wouldnt pay him $8m and a draft pick for the next two years...

My preference would be to go with a 1 yr rental on someone like Jared Cook for $2M a year and take a Tommy Tremble in the draft...

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Fair enough.. we will agree to disagree on this one...

I wouldnt pay him $8m and a draft pick for the next two years...

My preference would be to go with a 1 yr rental on someone like Jared Cook for $2M a year and take a Tommy Tremble in the draft...

Jared cook isn’t getting 2M a year

tremble will likely have to be taken in rd 2.  

I’d rather trade a 6th or 7th for Ertz 

Edited by NewEra

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

But then they have to win the bidding war for him.  This way, they can get him for what could possibly be a 7th rd pick.  Worth it if you think he’s worth 8M a year.  

I considered that but it's the only reason that I would give up an asset for him. I doubt a bidding war is going above his current $8M and if you're paying that on the open market, you're likely getting longer term (maybe a team option) and retaining draft capital. It all depends on how desperate you are to have him.