Daryl Williams or Matt Milano - Where does Beane put the money?

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I wouldn't be too shocked if we try to find a player in the spot Williams was in in 2020 FA, and draft an OT

My reservation about Williams is based on the film cutups I've seen and film I watched, he was not what we'd like to better succeed at the run game.

HMM I watched a lot of this too. But.. Is it plausible that this is happening cause of horrible guard play?

I think people are overestimating what Williams will get in the open market. He's coming off one good year and teams are already making difficult decisions with their own players. No one in this market is going to overpay a RT. 3 years for $25 million should get it done IMO. Something like $7 million in 2021, $8 million in 2022, and $10 million in 2023 with a potential out after year 2. And I believe we could easily afford that contract.

• Like (+1) 1

I would let Milano walk. Milano is an important component to the defense but now that the Bills have a young franchise QB and a solid O-line in front of him you keep your most important free agent along the line. I also think you can find an impact LB in the draft a lot easier to make an immediate impact. Whereas O-line play is not as plug and play as it used to be.

5 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Honestly, I don’t think their money is going to either one of them. Milano is gone I think we can al read those tea leaves. Williams reminds me of Jordan Phillips. Sign him for basically nothing, he flourishes for a season, goes and gets a big contract and goes back to being average. 

I think your going to see more of an overhaul to this roster than you think particularly on the offensive and defensive lines. You can do these types of things once you know you have a great QB. 

Williams was an All Pro before his injury.   He ain’t Jordan Phillips.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Looking like both are gone...

At this point this is my expectation. It is pretty much common knowledge at this point that Milano will not sign before free agency. There is a very small residual chance he doesn't get what he wants on the market and comes back but he is pretty close to certain to be gone. 

Williams could possibly come back but I think again it is more likely that happens after he has tested his market than before.

35 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Williams was an All Pro before his injury.   He ain’t Jordan Phillips.

2nd team all pro, but you are correct Williams had three very good seasons in Carolina, then an injury hit year, then a bad year in 2019 where he played 4 different positions. 2020 was not an exception for him it was a return to previous form.

• Agree 3

Inigo, my Spaniard friend, and no I don’t have six fingers before you ask (still is my favorite family movie), you pose a question my Uncle Gene would pose.  So Daniel (my real first name, but only followed with Edward, my middle name when trouble with my mom), would you like the liver or the Lima beans?

I don’t relish GM’s of perennial good teams with excellent records (can’t believe I’m saying that about the Bills, but feels awesome), the difficult decisions they have to make about excellent players that they can’t keep.

If pushed for an answer, Id say Williams.  I’m on record hundreds of times how much I love Milano, but Williams was not the o line problem this year.

Nice writeup OP.  I like Milano but someone is likely to offer a ridiculous amount of money for him.  So I believe Milano is gone.

Williams could be offered some serious money as well but I think Beane will come through here.  The Bills have nobody behind Williams so for me it's the top priority.  I could also see the Bills drafting an OL guy early in the draft.  

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Inigo, my Spaniard friend, and no I don’t have six fingers before you ask (still is my favorite family movie), you pose a question my Uncle Gene would pose.  So Daniel (my real first name, but only followed with Edward, my middle name when trouble with my mom), would you like the liver or the Lima beans?

I don’t relish GM’s of perennial good teams with excellent records (can’t believe I’m saying that about the Bills, but feels awesome), the difficult decisions they have to make about excellent players that they can’t keep.

If pushed for an answer, Id say Williams.  I’m on record hundreds of times how much I love Milano, but Williams was not the o line problem this year.

Agree on Princess Bride.  And on the players.  It’s really tough to make this call unless we know what they are asking for in their contracts.  Spotrac has Milano’s MV at 3 years, $41.5M and Williams’ MV at 2 years, $15.7M.

Using those numbers I don’t see how there’s much of a decision to be made. You obviously take Williams.  I think Milano’s contract estimate is high and Williams’ is low, but not enough to change my mind.

I love Milano and he is a damn fine coverage LB but he’s not great against the run.  Williams it’s pretty darn good in both run and pass blocking. If we can only retain one, then he’s my guy.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Agree on Princess Bride.  And on the players.  It’s really tough to make this call unless we know what their asking for in their contracts.  Spotrac has Milano’s MV at 3 years, $41.5M and Williams’ MV at 2 years, $15.7M.

Using those numbers I don’t see how there’s much of a decision to be made. You obviously take Williams.  I think Milano’s contract estimate is high and Williams’ is low, but Not enough to change my mind

Barley my friend,  I enjoyed one or two of yours this weekend.  It’s a running joke between he and I.  Now cool up those hops for this weekend.  On football, excellent points.  It’s a significant risk to think we can do a mid round draft on a RT  and expect To get the production of Williams.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm curious to see this Free Agency kick off. We are putting old value contracts in our heads, fact is no teams have much money.

They are not going to be eager to give up 12m+ contracts to just anyone. You also have to remember with all the veteran cuts for salary dumps the market will be somewhat saturated. 

Supply and demand, like I said, I'm just curious to see how this shakes out.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I'm curious to see this Free Agency kick off. We are putting old value contracts in our heads, fact is no teams have much money.

They are not going to be eager to give up 12m+ contracts to just anyone. You also have to remember with all the veteran cuts for salary dumps the market will be somewhat saturated. 

Supply and demand, like I said, I'm just curious to see how this shakes out.

It is expected that mid tier free agents will be the ones to take it in the shorts in times like these.  There will be lots of one year deals for players who don’t get the offers they’re expecting and who want to bet on themselves.

The expectation of the big dip this season along with a very sizable jump next is the key there.  But that will also allow teams that want a higher level player on a long term deal to pay them well.  They can minimize this year’s cap hit and then have plenty of space in 2022 and beyond to handle the much larger hits.  People will be surprised by the size of the contracts the elite FAs sign.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Milano is better but Daryl Williams is healthier and more valuable as a tackle. Plus I feel better about Klein at LB than I do about anyone else on this team at RT.

I love Milano and I appreciate what he brought and until this season, I've been defending him as "not out with injuries that much, really".  On the other hand, the team had to do without him most of the year,  *even when he was active* -
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MilaMa00/gamelog/2020/
After the first NE game when they decided to put him in IR, it seemed as though the coaches realized they couldn't plug another player into Milano's role and had to re-design the defense without him and they did.

TBH I feel as though we'd have a better D going with Klein and a rookie at Will, but adding a stud pass-rusher on DL, so if we need to spend money, that's where I'd like to see us put it.  Certainly Milano didn't help us shut down the TE in the Colts game.

I agree with you that I feel better about the D without Milano than I do about the OL with ?Cody Ford? or platooning a low budget RT/rookie, although I liked Williams run-blocking less than I thought I would before I watched film.

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think people are overestimating what Williams will get in the open market. He's coming off one good year and teams are already making difficult decisions with their own players. No one in this market is going to overpay a RT. 3 years for $25 million should get it done IMO. Something like $7 million in 2021, $8 million in 2022, and $10 million in 2023 with a potential out after year 2. And I believe we could easily afford that contract.

Supply and demand, sir.  Supply and demand. 

It's not just one good year for Williams as others have pointed out - it's an apparent return to previous form.

11 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I see possible draft options for Milano like Cox, Surratt in the 2nd...

I dont see an easy replacement for Williams.. even at 30... You are more than likely reaching for someone I think, like Eichenberg  or Radunz...  I think Leatherwood projects as a Guard...

Smart approach to factor this into the decision. If Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah were to fall to us at #30, he could genuinely be an upgrade over Milano. Love that guy, but he'll likely be gone by the early twenties. There's a few LBs on Day 2 like Cox (2nd Rd- perfect fit) and Surratt (3rd Rd as he needs a lot of development IMO) and it's probably easier to find a Milano replacement in the later rounds than OT.

A lot of the podcast guys like Joe Marino and the Cover 1 crew have spoken about the great value of selecting an OT at pick #30 relative to most other positions. OT is one of the most highly paid positions and it would be great to have a stellar RT on a cheap rookie deal especially since we have extended Dawkins on the other side (same applies to Tre White and finding a young, athletic CB2 in the draft to pair with him). Hopeful that Teven Jenkins falls to us (love the power and nastiness he plays with). Seeing Jalen Mayfield mocked to us a decent amount as well, need to watch more tape on him. Radunz or Eichenberg in the 2nd possibly.

Would love to see a draft of Teven Jenkins (#30), Jabril Cox (#61), and Tyler Shelvin or Alim McNeill (#94). Will any of them make it to those picks, not sure. But Cox is a natural Milano replacement and perfect fit in our defense and Jenkins and either DT would provide some needed talent/youth/physicality in the trenches. 

Would be just as interested in a couple trade downs as I love the 2nd-4th round talent and depth in this class. Who would you like in the draft? Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Smart approach to factor this into the decision. If Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah were to fall to us at #30, he could genuinely be an upgrade over Milano. Love that guy, but he'll likely be gone by the early twenties. There's a few LBs on Day 2 like Cox (2nd Rd- perfect fit) and Surratt (3rd Rd as he needs a lot of development IMO) and it's probably easier to find a Milano replacement in the later rounds than OT.

A lot of the podcast guys like Joe Marino and the Cover 1 crew have spoken about the great value of selecting an OT at pick #30 relative to most other positions. OT is one of the most highly paid positions and it would be great to have a stellar RT on a cheap rookie deal especially since we have extended Dawkins on the other side (same applies to Tre White and finding a young, athletic CB2 in the draft to pair with him). Hopeful that Teven Jenkins falls to us (love the power and nastiness he plays with). Seeing Jalen Mayfield mocked to us a decent amount as well, need to watch more tape on him. Radunz or Eichenberg in the 2nd possibly.

Would love to see a draft of Teven Jenkins (#30), Jabril Cox (#61), and Tyler Shelvin or Alim McNeill (#94). Will any of them make it to those picks, not sure. But Cox is a natural Milano replacement and perfect fit in our defense and Jenkins and either DT would provide some needed talent/youth/physicality in the trenches. 

Would be just as interested in a couple trade downs as I love the 2nd-4th round talent and depth in this class. Who would you like in the draft? Go Bills!

Offensive tackle is the strongest day 1 and 2 position in this draft IMO. I'm not as sold on Jenkins at #30. I think he is a pure right tackle which limits the ceiling a bit, if I'm spending a first I ideally want an Orlando Brown Jr type who is my go to answer at left tackle if my franchise guy goes down. If they go another position in the first because the OT class is so deep though, and a Jenkins was there in the 2nd or if they traded back picked up extra picks and went with him in the 2nd I'd be more content. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

If Beane couldn’t find a RT at pick 38 (Ford) in the draft a few years ago, I hope he’s not thinking he’s gonna replace Williams with a draft pick this year.  Can’t mess around with Right Tackle position.  Tag Williams if you have to.  

If it were up to me, I'd re-sign Williams AND draft a RT at #30.

Sign Williams to a 3 year deal, and draft someone to develop him. Make it so that 3rd year of Williams' contract is an easy out, and there you go.

I agree, I think it would be a bit of mismanagement hoping/expecting a draft pick to come in and start at OT right away. But getting a guy now, who you can coach up to take over the job in a year or two, is a good way to handle it.

• Like (+1) 2