Daryl Williams or Matt Milano - Where does Beane put the money?

It looks like the contracts for Milano and Williams are going to be in the same range, around $12-$15mm a year.  The question is who is worth more to the team, Williams or Milano? 

My position is that we need to keep Daryl Williams.  He has played at an elite level all season long protecting our franchise QB.  I dread a return to the days of shoddy O-Line play like we saw in JA17's rookie season.  This team has evolved and we are now winning games on offense, not defense.  We need to maximize the ability of Josh and the offense to score points.  This decision all boils down to the fact that I value strong O-Line play above what Milano brings to the defense.

Even when Milano was healthy our defense struggled this year.  Milano missed six games this last season due to injury. The Bills' record was 3-3 during those games without Milano losing to Tenn, K.C., and Arizona while beating Miami, Seattle, and the Chargers.  Some would argue the Hail Murray was a fluke and we should have gone 4-2 without Milano.  Two of those loses also came when Josh Allen was playing injured.

Williams stayed healthy all season and is now back in his All Pro form and he is only 28 years old.   He should have another 5-6 good years ahead of him.  Nsekhe is also a free agent this season, and while I'm a big Nsekhe fan, he's 35 years old.  I think he would be a great re-sign to continue as our swing tackle for injuries, but I don't think anyone expects him to be able to step in and play a full regular season and a deep playoff run. 

Could we draft another RT?  Sure we could and I expect we will, but I doubt Beane and McDermott want to roll the dice on the draft producing a starting rookie RT to protect Josh Allen.  Similarly, I don't think McBeane wants to count on Cody Ford as their starting RT.  He didn't play well there when he had the chance and is now coming off an injury.  I don't see a free agent RT out there who would be a bargain either.  It looks like Daryl Williams would be a top 3 RT on the market if he does hit free agency.  Trent Williams in San Fran and Taylor Morton Carolina are the other two and both are expected to get resigned and stay where they are.

Losing Daryl Williams creates a bigger hole for the Bills to fill than losing Matt Milano.  In a perfect world we resign both Milano and Williams.  It's more likely though that Beane has to chose just one, and I don't see the sense in giving a huge contract to Josh Allen sometime in the next year while cutting corners on his O-Line at the same time. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 6

Honestly, I don’t think their money is going to either one of them. Milano is gone I think we can al read those tea leaves. Williams reminds me of Jordan Phillips. Sign him for basically nothing, he flourishes for a season, goes and gets a big contract and goes back to being average. 

I think your going to see more of an overhaul to this roster than you think particularly on the offensive and defensive lines. You can do these types of things once you know you have a great QB. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, inaugural balls said:

If it's between the 2, it has to be Williams.

Not at all surprised if we don't see either back.

Well, that's the real point............it's not between the two.

Beane would deal with them as is.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Honestly, I don’t think their money is going to either one of them. Milano is gone I think we can al read those tea leaves. Williams reminds me of Jordan Phillips. Sign him for basically nothing, he flourishes for a season, goes and gets a big contract and goes back to being average. 

I agreed 100% until the last part. 
Williams has always played as a top 5 right tackle when healthy. 
He had some injures in Carolina and then they started moving him all over the line and he struggled. 
But a healthy williams at RT is all pro level. This wasn’t the first time he played on a contract year so that shouldn’t be a motivational thing. 
I’m not advocating to pay him or let him go I’ll trust the team, but wanted to point out this wasn’t a fluke season he’s always been a great RT when he is healthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, FormerlyPT5P said:

So in other words the Bills went 10-0 with Milano in..

Hmm.  That's impressive. 

Still, Beane used words describing Milano going to the market that he's used in the past when he knows he isn't going to match what the guy will get in the market.  So, I'd bet they keep Williams.  

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Even when Milano was healthy our defense struggled this year.  Milano missed six games this last season due to injury. The Bills' record was 3-3 during those games without Milano losing to Tenn, K.C., and Arizona while beating Miami, Seattle, and the Chargers.  Some would argue the Hail Murray was a fluke and we should have gone 4-2 without Milano.  Two of those loses also came when Josh Allen was playing injured.

I would just like to point out here, as I did elsewhere, that in the 10 regular season games where Milano played and the Bills won, he played more than 50% of the snaps in exactly 3 (Rams, Raiders and 2nd NWE).

30 minutes ago, FormerlyPT5P said:

So in other words the Bills went 10-0 with Milano in..

I'm not saying that Milano isn't a damned good player who made a difference on D, but "correlation is not causation" and I kind of find it hard to argue that he was a key to defensive in those games when at times he only played 20-30% of the snaps.  If we wanted to conduct a season long experiment into the look of "life without Milano" for the Bills D, this season kind of provided it.

4 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Well....10-1. He was not a difference maker in the AFC championship.

If you're counting playoff games 12-1

59 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

If it's between the 2, it has to be Williams.

Not at all surprised if we don't see either back.

I wouldn't be too shocked if we try to find a player in the spot Williams was in in 2020 FA, and draft an OT

My reservation about Williams is based on the film cutups I've seen and film I watched, he was not what we'd like to better succeed at the run game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I wouldn’t pay Williams over 8-9 mil.  I’d rather take my chances in FA or the draft 

I can see an argument either way. 

On the one had, he solidified the position.

On the other, you can't improve the run game without improving the OL, and you can't improve the OL without making some change.

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can see an argument either way. 

On the one had, he solidified the position.

On the other, you can't improve the run game without improving the OL, and you can't improve the OL without making some change.

I’m not going to do actual research before typing this, so assume I’m wrong.  

Quality teams can only afford to have so many positions making millions in the double digits.  We already pay our LT and have to possibly replace Feliciano too.  He may be worth more than 10 on the open market in a year where the cap grows, but not to us.  

I do agree that we need to figure out what the issue with the run blocking is.  If they feel they can upgrade in the draft, pay Milano and Feliciano, I’d be better with that.  

21 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I wouldn’t pay Williams over 8-9 mil.  I’d rather take my chances in FA or the draft 

I would go to $10 Mil .... A three year deal  at $30M that you can move on from the last year if he isnt cutting it..

But with Moton supposedly getting the franchise tag.. Someone will pay Williams more... Could be a pretty bad team through like the Bengals or Jags...

• Like (+1) 1

I see possible draft options for Milano like Cox, Surratt in the 2nd...

I dont see an easy replacement for Williams.. even at 30... You are more than likely reaching for someone I think, like Eichenberg  or Radunz...  I think Leatherwood projects as a Guard...