Spotrac: freeing up cap space for Bills

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

What about Star??

I wonder what the numbers are for a release or restructure on his contract.

Not sure of a restructure, but cutting him would cost more, and given how our D played in two seasons with him and this last season without him, I'd much rather they see if he returns and Oliver and Edmunds get a chance to make more plays. 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Special K said:

What about Star??

I think they redid his deal last offseason expecting he could be cut this offseason. However the opt out kinda screwed the pooch on that idea. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, costrovs said:

Morse? Really? Cutting Brown makes a lot more sense than Morse.

Beane said Morse didn't fit the power run blocking scheme they moved to towards the end of the season. Morse is definitely in danger of being released. Brown is pretty much gone. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Beane said Morse didn't fit the power run scheme they moved to towards the end of the season. Morse is definitely in danger of being released. 

I must've missed that. Still though, that's a huge hole to fill for $4.8M of salary. I don't think we're gonna find a similar center for less than $5M/year.

Power Run scheme or not, it doesn't help when both Moss and Singletary suck. lol

This doesn't make much sense to me. All of those re-structure examples (including Diggs - who they quietly did some maintenance on his deal after being traded) have come on deals done within the year. Kind of a hard sell to come right back to those guys, don't you think? Guys like Hughes and Morse make way more sense for a restructure. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think they redid his deal last offseason expecting he could be cut this offseason. However the opt out kinda screwed the pooch on that idea. 

Again, the defense was great two years in a row with Star, and meh his opt-out year. Yes, yes, I know correlation does not mean causation, but they improved 2018 over 2017 in many of the areas bringing in Star was supposed to help, so maybe we should stop trying so hard to run the guy out of town. 

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

This doesn't make much sense to me. All of those re-structure examples (including Diggs - who they quietly did some maintenance on his deal after being traded) have come on deals done within the year. Kind of a hard sell to come right back to those guys, don't you think? Guys like Hughes and Morse make way more sense for a restructure. 

I'm not going to pretend to know exactly how it works, but with new contracts, they can convert some of the money to bonus(?) and hence it's actually beneficial to the player b/c they get more guaranteed money paid out immediately and the team gets to save money against the cap (i think it pushes the cap into other years, which right now is ok b/c presumably there will be more space in future years). 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, costrovs said:

I must've missed that. Still though, that's a huge hole to fill for $4.8M of salary. I don't think we're gonna find a similar center for less than $5M/year.

Power Run scheme or not, it doesn't help when both Moss and Singletary suck. lol

"While McDermott wouldn’t say it had anything to do with Morse’s concussion history, Beane said after the season that it was a part of their consideration. Beane also said Morse wasn’t a perfect fit for the power- blocking scheme they used by the end of the season. On top of all that, the Bills chose to rest Feliciano during their Week 17 game. Morse went on to take every snap that day. Morse also struggled considerably in pass blocking during the playoffs, contributing to some of the offseason discussions about him."

https://theathletic.com/2382787/2021/02/12/buffalo-bills-jon-feliciano-mitch-morse-nfl-draft/

As for Moss and Singletary, I don't think it was them. I think it was scheme and the simple fact we really didn't try to run the football. Singletary's average dropped off a lot over an off season. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

46 minutes ago, Special K said:

What about Star??

it’s something crazy like 11m if we cut him vs the 7m he’s owed if on the team.

A restructure just pushes that money down the road and I’m not sure that’s beneficial.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsMafi$ said:

D0E9A39B-342B-4987-99A5-F37DF28EC548.jpeg

These sort of things can’t be looked at in a vacuum. The question is value and where any of these guy’s salaries fit in the league for players at their positions and production. I have to believe all of our no names on the defensive line have to be goners.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

"While McDermott wouldn’t say it had anything to do with Morse’s concussion history, Beane said after the season that it was a part of their consideration. Beane also said Morse wasn’t a perfect fit for the power- blocking scheme they used by the end of the season. On top of all that, the Bills chose to rest Feliciano during their Week 17 game. Morse went on to take every snap that day. Morse also struggled considerably in pass blocking during the playoffs, contributing to some of the offseason discussions about him."

https://theathletic.com/2382787/2021/02/12/buffalo-bills-jon-feliciano-mitch-morse-nfl-draft/

As for Moss and Singletary, I don't think it was them. I think it was scheme and the simple fact we really didn't try to run the football. Singletary's average dropped off a lot over an off season. 

That explains why I missed it. Paywall.

Well damn, I didn't even realize any of that. That quote makes it sound like he's as good as gone then.

Stupid me....  I thought that Morse was only making 4.8M/year.  Salary - Dead cap = 4.8M in savings.

As for the running game, I think it's a mixture of everything. Run blocking/Moss+Singletary not being that great/Not running as much as we as fans thought they would.

38 minutes ago, costrovs said:

I don’t think Singletary and Moss suck but our OL straggled in the running game , I hope that fixing the power running game won’t come with a cost of keeping our franchise upright 

Edited by Putin

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

it’s something crazy like 11m if we cut him vs the 7m he’s owed if on the team.

A restructure just pushes that money down the road and I’m not sure that’s beneficial.

He will consume at least $11.8M in cap space over the next two years even if they cut him today.

If they cut him post June 1 they can push some of that cap debt off to 2022 but then they will owe him more.........a total of $12.05M or $12.3M guaranteed because he's got $250K each in roster and workout bonuses that will have accrued during that time.

They are totally f*cked on the Star deal........it's a sunk cost even if he shows up for the offseason workouts at 250 pounds(I guess the rumor is he lost a lot of weight).

20 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I listened to that post season presser and podcast from Beane and I believe Joe B. is substantively misquoting him.  What Beane said is that Morse is more of an athletic center and is never going to be the guy who shoves the nose tackle back 3 yards.  With the possible exception of Dawkins, that pretty much describes the Bills entire OL IMO.

Joe's other takes are puzzling - for example, there was no "end of the season" shift to a power-blocking scheme.  Cover1 showed that the transition occurred very early on in the season.  Like, pretty much with the exception of the KC game, by week 2.  If you haven't watched this, you should, and after you do, I think you'll question the idea that Morse was the problem with the run blocking.

image.thumb.png.e06d5e028b97c17ac6cf9b794cf4ce84.png

I think some of these media guys like to get all "up in the tea leaves" with overinterpreting every move the Bills make.  For example, I believe Joe B and Matt Fairburn were beating the drum pretty loudly that Harrison Phillips and Murphy being "healthy scratch" for the KC and the Jets game meant the Bills were moving on and they'd be traded.  Well, maybe it meant something else - that Harry needed more recovery time from the ACL.  By the end of the season, he'd pretty well worked his way back to taking 50% of the snaps.

So they want to "read the tea leaves" of Feliciano being pulled halfway through the Miami game as being disfavor with Morse, but it could simply be that with Mongo nursing the pec and possibly other injuries, they wanted to get him more rest.

• Like (+1) 4

42 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Again, the defense was great two years in a row with Star, and meh his opt-out year. Yes, yes, I know correlation does not mean causation, but they improved 2018 over 2017 in many of the areas bringing in Star was supposed to help, so maybe we should stop trying so hard to run the guy out of town. 

Ummmm ok not sure when I was running him out of town, but they structured his deal last year to have an easier out this year.