Ryan Fitzpatrick leaning toward retirement

2 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Drive and passion and Long hours ,,,,,,,um ,,,he graduated from Harvard, has a large family ( which requires obj 24/7), must be passionate to still be a possible starter at age 39 and is not deterred by competitors or being benched even tho he was better than those he was benched for many times, and again, nothing is more mentally exhausting than being a good father / provider for a larger family ( many accounts of him being a good father ).  The only thing he doesn’t have is the experience of being a head coach.  However, this man succeeded at what he wanted at the highest level and he is more of a well rounded individual than many of the candidates for head coaching jobs today, without any of the negative baggage many of the coaches in all levels haul around with them ( substance abuse, divorce, no experience as a player, riding the coat tails of the system they came up in etc).  What evidence is their that he would fail to be successful at anything he attempted ( he is only limited ATHLETICALLY) ?    This type of person is passionate and driven as evidence by his real life achievements and if he WANTS to ever be a head coach, I am sure at some point he would easily succeed in that.   

In medicine there is an old axiom, see one, do one, teach one. Fitz has seen and done it all in the NFL. If someone is a good clinician, I can tell you by life experience, that they will almost certainly be a good teacher. I think that fits with just about any highly achieving people, and people who have made to to be a starting QB in the Nfl are highly achieving ( only  32 out there at any given time ).  I have met many people who are talented like this and they will eventually succeed at whatever it is they want. I would never doubt fitz is someone like Gase can be a head coach for two franchises! 😀

None of that means he wants to coach.

As much as I’d love to have him as our backup, if he feels done, he’s done.  Most players don’t want to coach other than maybe their kids in little league or HS.  I don’t blame him for just being a dad.  He certainly after 16 years or so doesn’t need the $.

To the OP, thank you for sharing.  It was a good read, and Clayton doesn’t usually report sensationalistic stuff.  He’s usually sourced his stories from what I’ve read over the years.

Edited by machine gun kelly

10 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Miami really screwed him over, like I said hopefully Buffalo has him sign a retirement contract with us

How did Miami screw him over? He was a backup QB and treated as such.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Come on Fitzy. 1 year, vet minimum, hold a clipboard. Run it back with the Bills and get a ring while holding the clipboard. It is the way to go.

Fitz curse will never allow that to happen.

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

It is a shame he never made the playoffs....but that’s why Fitz is Fitz. More often than not, he choked with the game on the line.  

There was plenty of that for sure, but he personifies the gunslinger in professional football. An easy guy to root for.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, boco357 said:

Been saying for years he is going to be awesome in the broadcast booth as color guy.  

I know one thing.

He could NEVER play for the Yankees.

13 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

He’ll be 39 next season. This really shouldn’t come off as a surprise to anyone 

Actually, it does to me.

He's playing his best football.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, K-9 said:

Gotta love Fitz and wish him well in his future pursuits. He received perhaps the greatest compliment I’ve heard from one player to another when Jordan Palmer described competing against him for the backup position in Cincinnati. Palmer said competing against Fitz was so tough and he hated it so much because Fitz was just such a nice guy.

I suspect every teammate on every team Fitz has been on, and there have been numerous of both, would agree. 

What a unique career.

He can be proud.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

I know one thing.

He could NEVER play for the Yankees.

That is a positive thing.  He has good taste.

11 hours ago, The Red King said:

He's one team away from starting a game for every AFC East team though...

He could take the first snap for New England and decide to quit.  :devil:

Edited by Limeaid
duplicate posts
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The obvious place for him is New England. He's probably just waiting for that phone call. New England sat on their hands most of last off-season until signing Newton late. I would think New England would also want to draft a young QB early too. 

What's the point though?  He's never taking you to the playoffs and likely taking you to a middling record where you're out of range for a top QB prospect.  He also not drawing WRs or TEs to Cheaterland.  And isn't going to be playing much longer.

Fitz is a great testimony to the power of hard work:  A smart kid from a weak program with a limited skill set who eventually earned a starting job and millions of dollars.

I think he'd be a great color commentator or QB coach.  Or he could just retire and play golf.